Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this speed acceptable?

Turfedout
Dabbler

Is this speed acceptable?

Hi All
After installation and two further engineer visits  - BT reported "thats the best speed you can get"
12mbps
Originally installed on 09/09/2015  - speed circa 22mbps.
Dropped to circa 18.9 mbps on 10/09/2015 - day after Plusnet major outage.
1st engineer visit  - After he finished dropped to 12mbps.
2nd engineer visit - Still 12mbps.
Both engineers said it was max speed they could get.
Original estimate when switched from ADSL was 26mbps.
Wholesale checker confirms:
35 - 26.8 clean
28.1 - 15 impacted
I have come to agreement with Plusnet that we leave and see if this improves,because i simply can't afford to take anymore time off work for another engineer to visit and i quite simply don't have any faith now in switching back to ADSL.
I fully appreciate that there is not a lot more Plusnet/BT engineer can do  - but none the less I'm still searching and looking to try and find a solution.
In simple terms,bearing in mind that I'm approx 650 metres from cab and the above wholesale checker info, is a profile on fibre of 11.73mbps the norm?Or anywhere near acceptable?
Thanks in advance for any advice
28 REPLIES 28
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Is this speed acceptable?

Hi Turfedout, welcome to the forum btw, I was going to reply to your other post a while back which I spotted when I got back from holiday, but I got sidetracked and had forgotten. I'll get to it in due course.
As for this issue, it doesn't sound at all satisfactory.
Just to be clear, are these download speedtest results you are talking about or the IP Profile? If the former, can you run  the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. It will give the Downstream and Upstream IP profiles, if you can do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Can you also check your Current Line speed (Login required) - don't post your phone number.
Turfedout
Dabbler

Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.47 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 8.21 Mbps-11.73 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 11.73 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.82Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
Current line speed  - 11.7Mb
Regards the above  - two separate engineer visits and both have reported back to Plusnet that this is the max speed they can get out of the line.
TBF 2nd engineer was here for ages  - went to the cab,up the pole etc....
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm. Not good. Also IIRC, that speed is below the threshold and can be considered a fault (I haven't checked lately - Openreach/BT do move goal posts periodically, perhaps someone more up-to-date can confirm).
Is your line overhead all the way to the Cab? Do you know how far you are from the Cab? If some of the line is underground, do you know how much? Did the engineer try any other pairs in the cable (if any spares were available)?
Did the engineers say what speed they got on the port at the Cab, to prove it wasn't a faulty port? Or come to that anywhere between the Cab and you?
Did they do a complete reset of the circuit at any time, and if so did you see a higher profile immediately after for a few hours perhaps?
Otherwise, it is rather sounding like the cable may have deteriorated somewhat. Did the engineers give any clue as to whether it was copper or aluminium cable? The other possibility is REIN. Such interference can be a real pain. Has anyone looked at that possibility?
Turfedout
Dabbler

650 Metres from the cab  - engineer said.
Not sure how much cable is overhead  - i can see it from pole to house- 25metres away  - is there a way to check if the rest is underground?
Never saw any change in speed at all.
Not sure if they looked at Rein.
The first engineer went to the cab  - he said to reset and check.
2nd engineer indicated it was copper - but didn't seem sure?
The 2nd engineer also said that he had rung to reset?
2nd engineer also checked my line up the pole.
Oddly enough after first engineer visit - i then had to reset router(plusnet assistance) to get connected again at the second visit  i didn't  - would this indicate at 2nd visit no reset was done?
From what i could work out - the speed was getting to the cab correctly  but then disappearing between cab and my house.
Confused  - I am?
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

I did miss/forget your distance from the Cab in your OP Roll_eyes  If all was well, you should be getting in the region of 30 down 10 up.
As for resetting the router the first time but not the second, possibility of the first was that they put you on a new port and things had to be reset at both ends, but they had no need to try another port the second time.
Picking up some of your other comments in the OP,  you had 22Mbps on day 1, dropping to 18.9 on day 2 - that would be most likely DLM automatically adjusting the line after assessing it in the first 24hrs (nothing to do with PN outage).
BUT after the 1st engineer it drops to 12Mbps, so he's changed something that's made it worse, so that situation needs to be reversed Shocked
OK, let's eliminate some other things as possibilities.
Who did your install, was it a proper Openreach engineer or a sub-contractor - Kelly/Quinns?
Did they fit a Mk3 vDSL SSFP to your Master socket, in fact has the Master socket been replaced at any point since/including the install?
Is the Modem plugged into the top socket of the Master? Do you have any hard-wired extension sockets for phones?
PS. You'll have the mods after you if you fully quote immediately preceding posts (Forum Rules). Just use the Reply or Quick reply buttons
Turfedout
Dabbler

Hi
Open reach did the install.
Funnily enough MK3 socket was only put in at the visit of the first engineer  - not at install.It had MK2 previously.
No extensions at all.
Cable is plugged directly into top of master socket from modem.
Anotherone
Champion

What happened to the Mk2, was it binned or do you still have it?
Haybasha
Rising Star

Try the Mk2 back on I get better speeds than I did with a Mk3.
Turfedout
Dabbler

The MK2 went in the bin.
Presume we are talking about the faceplate?
Is it worth me taking the faceplate off and refitting  - or purchasing a mk2  - but surely that wouldn't make a massive difference to the speed?
Anotherone
Champion

Yes we're talking about the faceplate. The Mk3 should not give slower results. It is designed for vDSL but yours may be faulty. If you see an OpenReach eng about try and scrounge another. I'm considering all the possible causes of why your current IP Profile is a lot slower.
Turfedout
Dabbler

Will see  if I can get hold of a mk2 over weekend.
Will update once I've tried.
Anotherone
Champion

The difference between the Mk2 & the Mk3 is that the common-mode filter in the Mk3 was improved, they found the one in the Mk2 wasn't as good as it could have been. The Mk1 (no markings on the plate) had no common-mode filter.
Turfedout
Dabbler

hmm  - interesting.
Cant track down an alternative faceplate without getting one from ebay/amazon.
However decided to take faceplate off and refit.
I checked profile this morning and it was 11.73,just done again after refitting placefate and its changed immediately
Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.35 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 8.39 Mbps-11.99 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 11.99 Mbps
Admittedly only a small increase,but every little helps.
Still no where near what is acceptable  - but does it seem like this where the problem lies?
Anotherone
Champion

I'm afraid that is not proving anything atm BUT be very careful disconnecting the Modem - just unplugging it or the plate. On Fibre, DLM can see this as a dropped connection and just two drops in a short space of time can cause DLM to act, applying greater interleaving depth (higher pings) or banding speed etc. It doesn't necessarily act immediately, when it makes changes they are often in the early hours.
At any given time the amount of noise your connection is seeing is likely to vary, if it is more than when you last synced (SNRM less than 6) then a resync will be at a slower speed (hence lower profile). If the noise is less (SNRM above 6) then a resync will be faster (higher profile). This latter case is probably what you've just had.
Now, the safest way to go about reconnecting/changing anything affecting sync is to 1) log into the Router and click Disconnect to drop the PPP session - this helps avoid any possible issues with stale sessions 2) then wait about 30 seconds and power off the Router then 3) wait about a minute and power off the Modem. After about a minute you can disconnect things. 4) Keep the Modem off for preferably an hour but AT LEAST 30 minutes (not 29m59s).
When you reconnect, power up the modem first and wait until sync is establish and the lights stabilise, then power up the Router, when it's booted, if need be, log into it and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
I would not do anything that causes a loss of sync again today.