cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this router compatible with Plusnet?

Smeagol
Dabbler

Is this router compatible with Plusnet?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Transmission-Encryptions/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_...

I wanted a better router for gaming since there are other people using my network so i found this router but was worried it might not be compatible, can anyone tell me if this one will work?

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Is this router compatible with Plusnet?

In a word - No. Its a cable router, so you would need a modem to plug into your connection. You may already have one if you have had FTTC for a while, but seriously, that router is even more basic than the cheapest ISP one.

Smeagol
Dabbler

Thanks a lot, is there any modem that is a reasonable price that you would recommend for gaming?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Are you already using an Openreach FTTC modem? If so, you could continue using that, although you should consider getting something with an integrated VDSL2 modem, because the Openreach modems won't be supported (in terms of firmware updates) for much longer.

Smeagol
Dabbler

Sorry im kind of new to these terms, I have a plusnet hub one router, though the options for gaming on the router are quite limited.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You say the options on the Hub One are quite limited, in what ways is it limited and what would your ideal replacement do?

Smeagol
Dabbler

Well i've read on this site also that PN routers are quite bad for gaming, which i don't know if its true but also i want a QoS option and more of the sort since my family also uses the internet at times that i do and this sometimes causes some more latency/ping issues etc.