Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this really an 80/20 connection?

CodeBusters
Grafter

Re: Is this really an 80/20 connection?

What a load of c.

The only important location is the fibre cabinet itself. If a line length of 400 to 500 metres incurs losses of that magnitude then a problem exists and should be sorted without asking.

Upstream Rate Assessment Low

4.4 instead of 20 is pitiful when you pay extra for the 80/20 speed.

Here's an idea "pay for the speeds that you receive from BTW" - nearly 50% off download and over 75% off upload - they would soon send an engineer round then.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

The upload does seem low what's the estimate for it if the OP is under the estimate for the Up he can request an engineer as i did, it's not just the download that matters.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You are slightly below the estimates for the upload, currently syncing at 4.4Mb/s vs an estimate of 5.7-8.1Mb/s.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 42.6 32.4 8.1 5.7 29.9 Available -- Yes Yes --

Based on that we could try and push this through as a fault, however it may be these are the highest speeds you're going to be able to get.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
CodeBusters
Grafter

Thanks for that Chris, push as a fault on upstream then by all means.

Although if it involves an engineer visit I am extremely busy until Wed. of next week.

CodeBusters
Grafter

After having noise on telephone line I called CS. After waiting on hold my call was finally answered, explained the problem and while he was doing tests the call was dropped, no call-back (ticket #144939855).

Call CS and wait on hold again. Once more while doing tests the line dropped, but this time I get a call back to tell me he is still running tests and that my support request has been escalated to the correct team for review.

During this call the line quality was so bad that I could hardly hear the CS guy and had to keep asking him to repeat things. After coming off the phone I left it a while then went to check the ticket #144940262, no mention of line quality.

@Chris will the line quality have been picked up on from the testing?

The phone connection is dropping out randomly.

Tags (1)
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@CodeBusters wrote:

What a load of c.

Here's an idea "pay for the speeds that you receive from BTW" - nearly 50% off download and over 75% off upload - they would soon send an engineer round then.

More likely they'd just decline to provide a service to that customer.

The cost of bringing a poor line up to scratch could well be so high as to destroy any chance of a profit for the foreseeable future. Far more cost effect to just declare the line unsuitable and terminate the service.

It's a similar problem with slow lines. Truth is that despite slower speeds, 'longer' lines cost the same to provision. In fact they might cost slightly more based on the greater likelihood of having a problem and slightly increased electricity consumption. In practice the differences are going to be negligible but 'pay per Mb of bandwidth' will just price all but the shortest lines out of the market.

But if/when the USO currently being debated makes it out into the wild that might all change. If the House of Lords gets their amendment things could change dramatically. I'm not holding my breath on that though as they seem to be asking for too much.

CodeBusters
Grafter

@Chris or @Anoush

Can you please check the status of ticket #144940262 ?

Is it on hold til 2pm Thursday 2 March or ?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It was on hold but its come off hold now as our suppliers are wanting to send a engineer to investigate.

If you can update the ticket with your availability for a engineer we can get that booked for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
CodeBusters
Grafter

Thanks @MatthewWheeler I will give CS a call now.

CodeBusters
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler

I have just finished on the phone with CS after calling them after my last post. Over an hour to sort!

More testing done and lots of "...its within estimates....etc." , line cut off again during call..

Anyways, an engineer is booked for 2 March, possible charge of £144+vat (would contest against a no-show by engineer on 9 Feb).

Watch this space.

CodeBusters
Grafter

An engineer visited this morning. He couldn't understand why I wasn't getting higher speeds with the line length I have (approx. 500m from his test today). He would expect a max drop of 10% on a line length like mine but in most cases near the max. He did check the port profile at the fibre cabinet and reset it and also checked to make sure there were no orders for 40/10 on it as he was convinced that was the speed. A fibre cabinet port speed of 110 reduced to 42 at test socket led him to suspect my wires are in touch with a 40/10 circuit which would account for the silly line length from the GEA test.

He then ran another test that went on to diagnose an underground cable fault over 30 metres from my property.

Told me he would put a request in for an underground engineer. He said they should replace the cable without needing access to my property.

Can a staff member look at the ticket #144940262 and give me status update please.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

hmm not sure why a Broadband Engineer was sent, if the line is noisy and keeps cutting out then a Phone engineer should be required to fix the line then the speeds should in theory be ok if not then a broadband engineer.

but hey if a fault has been detected and cable to be replaced then i guess it doesn't matter,  good luck with that though I know sometimes Openreach can be a little fussy when it comes to replacing stuff they rather not spend money it they can help it.

CodeBusters
Grafter

@CodeBusters wrote:

Can a staff member look at the ticket #144940262 and give me status update please.

@MatthewWheeler

@Chris

@Anoush

CodeBusters
Grafter

Update:

Still ongoing.

From notes added to my ticket today, after I rang CS

DCoE

CSE advised 47 meg sync & 47meg max rates from the property.- CSE now at the cabinet with a max rate of 40 meg from the ports direct- Checked & I could see the DLM re-set had been successfull back to 80/20.- Logged into EMS to see him in sync- EU only 500 metres away from PCP- When checked I could not see him in sync. I then waited while he re-checked his counting.- I advised 'I' would have located the D-side & run a tone to locate his E-side & then we wouldn't have neededto have contacted the DCoE (as the speeds were only 40/10 & he was expecting 80/20). - After waiting 2 minutes for his port to appear in sync on EMS it did so.-

Engineer

Attended EU premises and run all required diagnostic tests, found no faults and speed at 40/10 which are above those required in the job notes. LT okay Test Results

The engineer did not mention the TDR test and underground fault at all, unbelievable!!!

The DCoE (Diagnostic Centre of Excellence) typed more notes than the engineer did.

The noise, interference and poor call quality are still there which is annoying as hell when responding to my customers calls for technical information and having to ask them to repeat themselves over and over again or having to ring them back on the mobile.

Waiting on faults team now. It would be nice for someone to own the fault to conclusion.

Tags (1)
moansalot13
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

as a follow up to this  - just been advised that I will have to pay £65  for the openreach engineer vist 

Actual comment form  Engineer  that needed he to replace corroded bT80  ( master socket ? )  which only replaced  / installed Aug 2016 on commencement of my plusnet service 

Plusnet  employee has put the spin on it that  call charge / corrosion was due to damp or spillage at my property  ( neither of which have occurred. 

Given that a new face plate  was installed in Aug 2016 entry point is in middle of hall on an internal wall.

long and short of it  i'm being stuck with a bill  for replacing  what was apparently a poor connection behind the face plate   - but that is classed as my problem due alleged  "damp / spillage"  - as wire is run from pavement  to house and that's classed as my equipment  -  still not quite sure how considering that  anything behind face plate is verboten as far as customer maintenance/repair  and is purely the preserve of Openreach

general moan over