Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Is this a mistake?

@chrisatsea @eattheword

It is NOT scaremongering, it's repeated action of this type that can cause issues.

Too many times some people say just "reboot" with out realising the potential consequences if they do that repeatedly in a very short timescale - on Fibre that's more than once in a 15 minute period, or twice within 30 minutes.

oldjack
Grafter

Thank you chris  but I've tried that with no joy. I still show the 20 max upload on BTW so nothing has been changed. I am concerned that Plusnet will cap (slug) my download to the current speed.

Anotherone
Champion

It was your downstream profile that was of special interest, especially when you look at what Bob posted.

chrisatsea

I do not intend doing it again, hopefully I will not have to. However as the mains power supply in my locality is not the most consistent who can tell,( power outs run at around 5 times a year). Every time the router restarts without a problem.

As to line speed I am probably lucky that I can see the cabinet from my sitting room window. So my piece of string is not that long.

oldjack
Grafter

The wording used by Bob is quite interesting. "Does not necessarily mean" and "suggesting". Rings of the phrases "Upto" and "in the region of".

Anotherone
Champion

@chrisatsea if you have a separate "Router", rebooting that to get amended Plusnet profiles is not a problem, you can do that as often as you like. It's rebooting of the "Modem" that can cause issues or a combined Modem/Router because of the sync loss.
An occasional power outage shouldn't be a problem either - especially if the Cab is on the same mains supply as the DSLAM/DLM is supposedly capable of detecting local power outages - but not so with an individual line.

@oldjack Bob's comment has nothing directly to do with those remarks. Your line may have some sort of issue that's caused a drop in speed from previously, it may be local conditions - eg. increased cross-talk from other lines, or too many errors possibly due to interference, or even line banding by DLM. I'd suggest you start your own thread on this board and we'll see if one of the helpful Plusnet staff can run a GEA test for you.

andytay
Rising Star

@bobpullen

Thanks Bobpullen

I did a btw Check where you change the login details and it said there could be a fault with my line? could this be why my speed is an issue?

Anotherone
Champion

If you have a line fault then you it can (seriously) affect your broadband speed. If you can hear audible noise on the line (crackling/frying etc) when using the phone, then you definitely have a line fault of some type.

oldjack
Grafter

I believe my line is in a clean state. So the line speed by Plusnet would seem achieveable i.e 55

oldjack
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone ,what's a GEA ?

Anotherone
Champion

That's not necessarily the case, but as suggested please start your own thread.

Anotherone
Champion

@bobpullen wrote:

The limiting born from the Member Centre profile is done by the LNS's/gateways on the 'old' L2TP network. As more and more people are moved across to the 'new' dedicated network, it becomes somewhat moot. I think that was one of the primary reasons for 'hiding' it.

Thanks for further clarification on previously posted information.

SpecialD
Rising Star

I'd already reset my router for other reasons (I'd changed DNS and then It crashed and wouldn't let me in anymore even after being powered off and on ... had to factory reset!!)
 Before and after that I was getting between 25 - 36 then suddenly on 5th Aug I got 41.77 and fluctuates between 40 - 45

up remained 8.5 - 9.5 since 1st Aug (prior to that was ~15)

When first installed a few years ago I got around 50+

BobW66

It is now one week since the promised speed changes should have taken place.  Since joining PlusNet Fibre about two years ago, my speeds have been normally about 35 mbps download and 16 mbps upload and I have been very satisfied with these speeds.  My speeds are now typically in the range 18 - 30 mbps download and 8.4 - 8.8 mbps upload and the download speed no longer complies with the "up to 52 mbps" speed promised by PlusNet.

I have raised this matter with Customer Services and a CSC Analyst on the phone and in Help and Support Questions but have only had one short reply from each a week ago and there has been no improvement in the download speed during the past week.   I note from your posting that there is no point in pursuing this matter with Customer Services or via 'Help and Support' Questions but I, and many other PlusNet customers, need to be kept in touch with the progress with the "further investigations" you refer to in the last line of your posting.

Estragon
Rising Star

GEA is part of Openreach's product description of FTTC and FTTP. It stands for Generic Ethernet Access.

Basically it is Openreach's name for the facilities required by Ofcom's specification of VULA. VULA is Virtual Unbundled Local Access, which is the fibre equivalent of LLU. LLU is Local Loop Unbundling, which is where ISPs have their own kit (DSLAM or MSAN) in the exchange but that kit has access to the local loop - the bit between the exchange and the user.

On FTTC the DSLAM is in the cabinet owned by Openreach, so (normally) well away from the exchange into the local loop. There isn't room in the cabinets for ISPs to have their own DSLAMs so VULA is the nearest Ofcom could come up with.

The pseudo-LLU effect is achieved by a handover at the exchange from the Openreach link to the cabinet to the "LLU" backhaul at the exchange. BT Wholesale are in effect also LLU as far as Openreach is concerned.

This handover is an ethernet link identical in operation for all providers. Hence "Generic Ethernet Access" to the local loop.

A GEA test is an Openreach test of the health of the FTTC system between the customer and the exchange handover point, via the phone and FTTC cabinets.