Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Is this a mistake?

Regarding training periods, this is taken from dslchecker.bt.com/

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This the current IP Profile I have after faults decided to change my 40.99/20mb profile.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 29.48 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 26.69 Mbps-38.14 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 38.14 Mbps

According to BT Availability Checker my acceptable speeds range from 32.4 Mbps-44 Mbps

I contacted them so many times and was flogged off with your within estimates and IP Profile doesn't matter. I've put all relevant info into a new fault i raised, lets see what happen's.  

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@andytay this could be congestion - I've replied to your other post.

@zishan did you get a GEA test result on your previous ticket? If you've raised a new fault did to refer to the ticket number of the previous one? Also could you post the current ticket number next time you are posting.
That IP Profile seems to have dropped, I wonder what profile they have actually put you on? Perhaps if they have been messing with your line, DLM has had a go Shocked OR they may have put you on a 40/10 profile Roll_eyes Can you tell us what Upstream speeds you are getting as well as the profile the BT Tester is giving?

For anyone getting erroneous speed test results from the BT Tester (ie. results well outside what you'd expect for the profile) can you also run the TBB Speedtest and also speedtest.net and post results from all 3.

Anotherone
Champion

@Browni not sure if your post was to tell me what the DSL checker said (which I know) and it's wrong w.r.t. FTTC but BT aren't going to change it's there so that BTw and CPs can claim they can't deal with any (speed) faults during the first 10 days. To put the final nail in this one -

Quote from BT document SIN498v7p1

2.2 User Network Interface - General
2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability). It does this for as long as the product exists.

At provision, the line is put on “wide open” VDSL2 line profiles allowing the upstream and downstream line speeds to run at the upper limit of the product option selected.

On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected. Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before deciding if it must intervene, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.

If DLM intervenes it will set a profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then the line is likely to remain at a very low rate until a re-train is forced by the user by powering off the modem.

Note : It is the DLM system that sets the line profile, and this should not be interfered with by CPs/users setting rates, SNR margins etc. at the modem.

Note : The upstream throughput is also constrained on the DSLAM to the upstream rate requested in the order, i.e. 2 Mbit/s, 10 Mbit/s or 20 Mbit/s, so even if the VDSL2 upstream line speed is higher, the upstream throughput is constrained to the level ordered for the product.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Wasn't specifically aimed at you @Anotherone, I was just adding what a verifiable source states.

Anotherone
Champion

But it's not "verifiable" in what actually happens Tongue

plusforums
Dabbler

My IP profile is now60 something/20 and I'm getting 47.23/9.24. Shouldn't I be getting the 55/10 ?Huh

as the line should do 60 down, and I know its capable of 20 up!

Edit I can't get a IP profile on the bt tester anymore '

FAQ

null

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

'

Anotherone
Champion

If you can't confirm you current IP Profile, that doesn't help unfortunately. Does this lower throughput speed with the BT Tester occur all the time, or only at certain times of day? Also try using the alternative testers I mentioned in message 633 to make comparisons.

plusforums
Dabbler

plusforums
Dabbler

Thanks

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/147111238488249030269.png

Speedtest

Seems to be around 47-49 MB constantly down

Anotherone
Champion

See what sort of speeds you get at off-peak times.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try this speedtest http://speedof.me/

"No Flash or Java needed! It is the smartest and most accurate online bandwidth test. It works well on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows and other mobile devices, as well as desktop computers".

You may be able to see where the savage limiting cuts in.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion

All very well if you have a modern multi-core fast processor machine. As well as browser, OS & graphics dependency, it may well depend on the instruction sets that your processor has.
Personally I've found that the test is too dependent on the machine and so is not just testing the connection, but overall performance which isn't overly helpful if you are trying to resolve a possible connection issue, and on an older machine it's never given me sensible results.

Mind, if you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox or Chrome, and not on Windows it seems, the TBB tester actually runs a HTML5 test!

Another accurate way of checking your connection is to download fixed size test files available at TBB - have a stop-watch handy - you do have to time them Wink

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To avoid the stopwatch just install NetWorx and you can see the download speed from any download site

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VileReynard wrote:

Try this speedtest http://speedof.me/

Just thought I'd mention that this site won't work with an ad blocker installed, as I've just found out.