Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Schiehallion
Grafter

Re: Is this a mistake?

@Anotherone

Thank you very much for your reply.

As my connection is reliable (don't suffer from disconnects and the speeds are consistent throughout the day), I'll leave it as it is.

I appreciate your input.

Regards

Schiehallion

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I just wish BT would replace the almost 40 years old decaying aluminium cable on my estate.

This is what my 55/10 looks like:

BTBB.jpg

Let's be careful out there !
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@PeteW1959 wrote:

@Hamba wrote:

I can't help feeling that there is a lot of over reaction in this thread.

I don't think is 'over reaction' to complain about something you have paid for and not received.

If you went down to the corner shop, asked for, and were charged for, a 6 pack of beer then left with a single can wouldn't you complain?

That's not a valid comparison. Under UK consumer law beer is a 'good' and the contract for purchasing it is far more strict. For instance it has the classic 'must be fit for the purpose intended.' clause.

ISPs provide a service (the clue is in the last two words of the acronym - 'Service Provider' Smiley ). And UK consumer law imposes fewer requirements on service providers. For instance a service does not have to be 'fit for the purpose intended.'.

That doesn't of course mean that service providers can get way with anything but in very simple terms it could be stated as: They have to use reasonable care and skill, charge a reasonable amount and make reasonable efforts to keep the customer informed.

The trick is in deciding what constitutes 'reasonable' and that usually requires a court to study the T&Cs and come to a conclusion. That will be based on a variety of factors including comparison with peers. But I'm pretty sure that whatever the court's decision there wouldn't be much compensation for customers. A partial refund of subscription charges. Leaving without charge even if outside the original 14 day period. That kind of thing. It would be almost impossible to prove that a residential customer had incurred any kind of consequential loss because of this debacle so I can't see a court paying compensation.

oldjack
Grafter

Nicely summed up Andrue. The ISP's only care about their customers when they threaten to leave.

oldjack
Grafter

If you receive less for your money isn't that effectively a price rise. Food retailers are doing it all the time.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

"I don't think is 'over reaction' to complain about something you have paid for and not received."

I agree. 

No matter what laws you quote, or state that it's a service and not a good, the principle still applies. We were promised something on a particular date and they failed to deliver. That is quite simply unfair. And to those that say "what are you complaining about, you still have a connection", I just wonder in what other walks of life they would tolerate this argument. People get very selective on this issue, but I bet they are the first to shout and complain when they don't get something they bargained for or were promised. Just because it is broadband doesn't mean there is any difference.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

NOPE ,, when you leave PN you get Sorry you are leaving Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PeteW1959
Grafter

Yes, same here, after over 10 years with PN. I phoned and the best they could offer was £2 off a new 24 month 80/20 contract. They couldn't even offer to match the 40/10 I was being offered by EE.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Hamba
Grafter

I didn't say I was happy with the situation or that it is not reasonable to complain but I still think the tone of some posts was over the top.

I'm willing to consider the possibility that PN cocked up:  made a mistake in dealing with the change over.  But I am also willing to forgive the mistake.   If it was me deciding I would have halted the change and set folks back on the 40/20 until such time that the change could be made smoothly.   

I prefered the higher upload but surely a company is entitled to decide what is profitable and quite a lot of time was given for negotiating a different deal or changing provider without penalty.

A lot of the problems we have are around how the industry is regulated.  If I lived in a big town or city my broadband cost, and the cost to PN in order to provide it,  would be much less.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

That is fine if you are willing to forgive the mistake. That is your choice. It is not my choice.

Yes of course a company is entitled to decide what is profitable and yes, plenty of time was given before the change. That is not the point. The point is that for people that decided to stay, they did so on the basis of being switched to 55/10 on 1st August (that is what PlusNet's email stated). That didn't happen.

zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've just had a adjustment done on my profile by faults and it was a disaster, I was originally on 42.99mb DL & 20mb UL.

After moaning about my 55/10 upgrade, faults made a change and said it will be done within 24 hours, behold today I've done a speed test and found profile lowered to 38mb DL & 10UL.

Contacted CSC who said its on training and will eventually kick in???? 

Estragon
Rising Star

CS talking garbage. They don't even know, never mind understand, what this is all about and what is going on.

jcwtf
Hooked

+1 for being stuck on 40/20 but getting 40/10 instead of 55/10.

I'm actually getting 44/9.5.

Have PM HarryB as requested earlier in this thread.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

There is no training period on fibre . PN why are CS still telling customers this ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smuggler2112
Dabbler

I have been watching this thread with interest since the 1st August, and I have been having the same issue as a number of other users.I have spent numerous hours on the phone and using online chat and yet still the issue is not being resolved.

I as many other should have switched to the 55Mb/10Mb account, this did not happen and after a couple of phone calls and online chats by the 4th August the current line speed on the Plusnet member centre did show as 55Mb however it was clear from my router stats that my profile was still set at 38Mb/10. I again spoke to a couple of PN agents who having checked the account agreed that my profile was still set to 38Mb and he would raise a fault. Having heard nothing back for 4 days I contacted Plusnet again and was told nothing had been looked at and they would get back to me later that day.

Which they did by email, stating that the line was running fine, (which it is at 38Mb) and there was no fault, bizzarely even on the test results it states that my max parameters are 38Mb not 55Mb.

My results are below, any further help from any of you more knowledgable guys would be greatly appreciated, as I am losing my patience with all of this.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU17217342

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 37.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 845.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2016-07-27T15:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 25.8 Mbps 38.0 Mbps 37.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.3 Mbps 10.0 Mbps 9.5 Mbps
Up Time 647.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2016-08-09T14:15:19.120+01:00 2016-08-09T14:30:19.120+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 3
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 4 2
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

RadiusWP Product: WBC FTTC Annex A 10Mbit/s Up, 55Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability
WP Profile: Generic Speed 55000 Time Out
Ellacoya: Service_Offer_72
Connected for 2 Days, 2:44:2
0 drops in last 24 hours
5 drops in last 72 hours
12 of 21 (57%) User Req Drops in last 7 days
https://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image1470751274696.png

Estimate

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)