cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Is this a mistake?

If you didn't get 40Mbps on 40/20 you won't get it on 55/10 (up to 52). Bothe are/were "up to" depending on line length and quality. Neither of those change, so speed doesn't increase with the product (profiling) change. If you had upgraded to 76/19 you wouldn't have got any more.

A drop from 35Mbps to 18-30Mbps suggests something else has gone wrong, not necessarily anything under Plusnet's control.

gren1946
Hooked

So is like a phantom pregnancy, you think your going to get something, but your not!!At the end of the day it's just a price rise dressed up as something else......

Estragon
Rising Star

What price rise?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Estragon thanks for both those posts - saved me the effort Wink

@Estragon wrote:

If you didn't get 40Mbps on 40/20 you won't get it on 55/10 (up to 52).

I'm sure that's been said more than once in this thread and other related threads, but of course not everyone is reading the whole thread and Plusnet's emails and information certainly did not make it clear to those who were going to be affected Roll_eyes

The quickest way for anyone to check where they stand is to run the whole BTw Speedtest (DON'T REBOOT) through to the Diagnostic test (button at the bottom of the first run page) and see what their Downstream IP Profile is. If it's not higher than 38.7 then you won't go any faster on 55/10 - unless as Estragon has mentioned you have some sort of fault

MKen
Dabbler

@bobpullen wrote:

To add some clarity, the actual Wholesale orders to change customers' provisioned products from 80/20 > 55/10 are likely to take some time. Weeks, if not months.

What is the chance if you upgrade to 80/20 then sometime in weeks later getting "provisioned" back to 55/10?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Good question. As long as the data is sanity checked, which it should be, then the chances are slim. I'll raise the point with the relevant teams though to make sure it's not something that's overlooked.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MKen
Dabbler

Thanks - experience suggests to allow changes to finish before sending a subsequent change, but if weeks/months I might get impatient

Schiehallion
Grafter

@bobpullen

Hi Bob Pullen

1st of all, many thanks for taking the time to reply to my initial query.

It won't. Your line is synchronised at 41.1Mbps so doesn't look to be capable of more (despite what your original estimate said).

I wasn't referring to the speed estimate at the time I signed up to Fibre. The CURRENT downstream speed estimate on the BT Wholesale site is 48.3Mbps to 35Mbps ( https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html ). It seems like my profile is set to not exceed 40Mbps download speed (by either Plusnet or Openreach).

While I appreciate that 39Mbps is within the quoted range, should I not be achieving more than 39Mbps download?

Regards

Estragon
Rising Star

If you do what many of us have suggested to many posters, run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, ignoring the red instructions, then click Further Diagnostics at the bottom of the first Results page, you get the down and up IP Profiles.

Post both. The downstream lets us calculate very accurately your connection speed - which is what should be compared with your BT estimate at this point in time, and the downstream plus the upstream tell us whether you are on 80/20 slugged to 40.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Schiehallion, the data rate you're connected with your cabinet with is a smidgen over 40mbps. Based on that you can't expect more than a few mbps below that in actual download speed.

Try a disconnect/reconnect, but at best you're only going to see a ~1mbps increase.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Schiehallion
Grafter

@Estragon

Hi Estragon

Thanks for posting. Have run the BT Wholesale test and have posted the results below.

btw1.jpg

btw2.jpg

The downstream speed estimate on the BT Wholesale site is 48.3Mbps to 35Mbps

I would be grateful if you could advise me if these results are what I should expect.

Regards

Schiehallion

Anotherone
Champion

I'm afraid that the results are what one might expect considering your current sync speed, as indicated by Bob Pullen in his post and confirmed by your downstream IP Profile suggesting a sync speed of around 41.6Mbps. The BT estimates are indeed just estimates and are sometimes not as accurate as may be desired. They can be based on not just your historical line performance, but also that of your neighbours on the same DP.

As I suggested to another poster, if you start you own thread, we can look at the other factors that may affect your sync speed and maybe get Plusnet to do a GEA test if there are no obvious reasons for your sync speed being towards the lower end of the estimate.

Schiehallion
Grafter

@bobpullen

Sorry, you posted while I was composing my reply to Estragon.

Thanks for looking into this and getting back to me so quickly. I tried a disconnect/ reconnect earlier on tonight, which didn't make any difference.

In essence the change in service from 40/20 to 55/10 has made no real world difference to my Fibre experience. Upload has dropped from ~12Mbps to 9.4Mbps (I don't do much in the way of uploads) and download speed I think is around 1Mbps faster.

Thank you for your explanation. I except that my expectations weren't realistic.

I appreciate your help. Many Thanks

Regards

Schiehallion

Estragon
Rising Star

That IP Profile shows your connection speed within 3 or 4 kbps is either 41,606kbps or 41,649kbps. (There are two DLM modes and we can't at this stage tell which applies to you).

The 20Mbps upstream along with this download connection speed shows you are the slugged 80/20 at the moment. 55/10 will not be of any benefit in either direction.

As Anotherone suggests, it would be worth starting a new thread of your own about the difference between your estimates and actual and seeing if we can help. It might be simply the best your line can do, or it might be it could be improved by a few Mbps. It certainly isn't to do with the product changes.

Anotherone
Champion

The way that Plusnet presented (and implemented) the way the change from 40/20 to 55/10 was happening will have led lots of people to have some expectations that were never going to happen Sad and some will have had expectations that have come to fruition and they aren't happy with - namely the loss of upload speed Shocked

Thankfully we've had a few constructive posts from @bobpullen recently Smiley