Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Is this a mistake?

@oldjack I hope you are NOT rebooting the modem (or modem/router if an all in one unit) as you are likely to end up in a worse situation. DLM will see these as a dropping connection!!

John_Leeming
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I realised the risk but I did give it a whirl ,it hasn't affected speed so I guess I got away with it.It's so darn frustrating not knowing how to raise a ticket with Plusnet,I thought the old system was great.

Anotherone
Champion

@oldjack /John_Leeming

Can you run the BTw Diagnostic Test please and post your IP Profiles.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

To add some clarity, the actual Wholesale orders to change customers' provisioned products from 80/20 > 55/10 are likely to take some time. Weeks, if not months.

I would also strongly suggest against customers referring to the line speed on the Plusnet website. We removed all of the links to this area of the Member Centre for a reason, and the fact that it says ~40mbps for some of you does not necessarily mean that's what we're limiting your downstream to. The historic speed estimates also seem to be causing confusion.

There shouldn't be anybody whose lines are capable of > 40mbps that we're now incorrectly limiting.

If any of you are still affected then attempt a disconnect/reconnect (although we kicked most peoples PPP sessions late last week to force the necessary changes).

For a lot of you, it looks like your lines aren't capable of synchronising above 40mbps which means you're not going to see any downstream benefit.

@andytay wrote:

what bugs me is my profile says

Estimated line speed:53Mb (This may vary between 40Mb and 53.3Mb) - Checked on 2016-07-21 11:24:42Current line speed:39.8 Mb

Where did Plusnet get 53 from if HarryB said my line is only capable of 38-40?

It could be that a higher estimate was returned when you signed up/upgraded (they can change over time). It's that historic estimate that's used to populate the Plusnet portal. If you go through a partial product upgrade,- i.e. follow the upgrade journey via the Member Centre but abandon it before committing to anything - then you'll probably find it updates to reflect the current estimate provided by Wholesale.

Regardless, your line is currently synchronised at 41.5mbps so the current Plusnet profile isn't far off what it should be. I've bumped it by a couple of hundred kbps.

@Schiehallion wrote:

Hi

Query for the Plusnet Reps.

I was also on the 40/20 product and received the email saying I would be moved onto the 55/10 product.

My upload speed has dropped to around 9.4Mbps (as expected).

My download speed is sitting at 39Mbps.
When should I expect my line speed to be increased...

It won't. Your line is synchronised at 41.1Mbps so doesn't look to be capable of more (despite what your original estimate said).

@oldjack wrote:

... but until OR spring into action then I'll still be on 40/10. No point in fiddling with the router it'll only upset the DSLAM. Are my assumptions about right?

You're provisioned on 80/20, however your line is only in sync at 38.2mbps suggesting it may not be capable of more.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for your post Bob. The first constructive bit of information in this thread for some while Wink

Estragon
Rising Star

That's a hugely useful and clear post Bob Smiley. Why one of your colleagues couldn't (or weren't allowed to) post it on 1 August will no doubt forever remain a mystery.

To add some clarity, the actual Wholesale orders to change customers' provisioned products from 80/20 > 55/10 are likely to take some time. Weeks, if not months.

Unless Plusnet have obtained some special pricing from Openreach in the meantime, the whole re-profiling exercise won't save any money and can only leave a sour taste in many mouths. It appears to have been a very silly idea.

Even if a special discount on 80/20 has been obtained it has still been a PR disaster. Not restricted to this forum.

As for "weeks, if not months", that seems weird - to say the least.

eattheword
Grafter

I, for one, am still totally unclear why we have been transitioned from a very nice 40/20 service to an arguably less useful 55/10 service which costs the same. A clear explanation would be welcome.

rogerx1
Grafter

That is very easy to answer eattheword

The 40/20 service is actually provisioned on 80/20 and the BT Wholesale cost is £9.95 and the 55/10 costs £8.40, so it costs PN £1.55 a month less and they charge us the same.

Profit!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@bobpullen wrote:

I would also strongly suggest against customers referring to the line speed on the Plusnet website. We removed all of the links to this area of the Member Centre for a reason,

@bobpullen What reason given that it is still the only way we have of checking if Plusnet are slugging the speed when they shouldn't be

eattheword
Grafter

@rogerx1 wrote:

That is very easy to answer @eattheword

The 40/20 service is actually provisioned on 80/20 and the BT Wholesale cost is £9.95 and the 55/10 costs £8.40, so it costs PN £1.55 a month less and they charge us the same.

Well, that sucks. 

oldjack
Grafter

The BTW profiles which were re-set when I agreed to a 40/20 with Plusnet are  Downstream 36.97 Upstream 20. Before the 40/20 contract the downstream was considerably higher. I am getting 35.86/9

Estragon
Rising Star

Well, that sucks.

It's been known from the minute they introduced 40/20, and has already been pointed out many times in this thread. What has been changed appears to be that 55/10 is using the same principle (for now) but using a different mechanism that also slugs the upstream.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Oldjim wrote:

@bobpullen wrote:

I would also strongly suggest against customers referring to the line speed on the Plusnet website. We removed all of the links to this area of the Member Centre for a reason,

@bobpullen What reason given that it is still the only way we have of checking if Plusnet are slugging the speed when they shouldn't be

The limiting born from the Member Centre profile is done by the LNS's/gateways on the 'old' L2TP network. As more and more people are moved across to the 'new' dedicated network, it becomes somewhat moot. I think that was one of the primary reasons for 'hiding' it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chrisatsea

Just turned power off and back on. Now download gone up from 37 to 53.

Upload was changed on 1st from 20 to 10.

Despite the scaremongering about not turning off, IT WORKS.

Just goes to show that a 72 year old with common sense can work it out.

eattheword
Grafter

@chrisatsea wrote:

Just turned power off and back on. Now download gone up from 37 to 53.

Upload was changed on 1st from 20 to 10.

Despite the scaremongering about not turning off, IT WORKS.

That's what I did.