Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

dnpark38
Rising Star

Re: Is this a mistake?

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@dnpark38

The account summary show your products but isn't detailed in any way https://www.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary

Does not give me which product I'm on only my historical money and line estimate.

Want to see where PN say the product in the proper terms 38/20, 80/20, 52/10 etc.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
oldjack
Grafter

Thank you Schiehallion for your route to PN est. line speed. I'm grateful to Estragon for clearing the murk on how the systems work, or not ,whatever the case may be. Originally my diagnostics from BTW showed the 80/20 but after a package agreement with PN it shows a 40/20. PN are able to reduce (cap) speeds within those ranges but not increase them hence the 40/10 situation. PN estimate my line speed at 55 (bit coincidental?) but until OR spring into action then I'll still be on 40/10. No point in fiddling with the router it'll only upset the DSLAM. Are my assumptions about right?

Estragon
Rising Star

@zishan

When you say automatically, how long is that?

Immediately. The BT Wholesale IP Profile on FTTC adjusts as soon as the sync changes. As long as the system works!

It can occasionally fail - if the modems at each end re-sync before the PPPoE session is dropped by the ISP. (I'm not entirely sure on BT Wholesale products whether that means Plusnet or BT Wholesale). 

In the case of an Openreach product change that failure seems unlikely to happen, but when it does on any re-sync is when disconnecting at modem level for a few minutes can help trigger it.

Estragon
Rising Star

I'm wanting to know where in my PN member section account details where PN state which of these these products I'm on.

IIRC both your order history and your invoice. However I think that only gives the Plusnet product name. Nowhere do they specify the Openreach product as far as I can remember. No ISP does.

At the moment even if they did both could be garbage as the move to 55/10 is in most cases achieved by internal jiggery-pokery not by a change to the expected 55/10 Openreach product. The change of Openreach product will come later.

All the mess and confusion and bad PR would have been avoided, and Plusnet saved a lot of money, by just telling 40/20 customers in the first place that the change would happen during August, at different times for each. Just letting Openreach carry out the product change as and when. This internal fiddling was lunacy, and to my mind purely so it could (appear to but not really) all happen on 1 August.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Like you say, it seems crazy that they have done all this profile meddling but I just wonder if it has something to do with offering a penalty free escape from the contract. Given that some customers (probably not many) will gain from the change to 55/10 (customers who sync at over 40 download but not over 10 upload), and given that they offered a fixed time to escape the contract penalty free, I wonder if they had to have the change happen on a specific date. Otherwise they may open themselves up to criticism from the 'gainers' saying something along the lines of 'I decided to stay based on this change and I don't even know when it is going to happen'.

So possibly from a contractual perspective, they needed or wanted the change to take place on a specific date. As it turns out, it was a total mess anyway, but I am just trying to think of what reason they would have for doing it this way.

rogerx1
Grafter

That would make sense jalfreer, but whatever they tried to do, they screwed up and I have yet to really see anything in the way of an explanation or apology from PN.

The only thing PN are really interested in is saving money on our contracts by putting us on a cheaper product from BTW, and they are doing this mid-contract because they can save even more money as BTW are offering free product changes for a few months. This combined with the awful understaffed customer service (not poor support from individuals who obviously do their best) shows the way that PlusNet are heading.

I am sure I am not alone in waiting for my Line Rental Saver and Contract to run down, then I will be moving.

oldjack
Grafter

For my interest who would you move to? 

andytay
Rising Star

So really it seems i'm paying the same price as everyone elso but at a loss of download and upload speed because plusnet says my line speed is 53 but my IP profile is 40? sounds confusing to me!

rogerx1
Grafter

I honestly don't know at the moment. I have a few months to run on both line rental and broadband contract at the moment and its a case of evaluating the options and deals closer to the time.

I don't mind paying a little bit more, as long as I get a service to match.

PN haven't been good for me, they made a botch of the initial transfer to fibre which left me without broadband for a while, I also have phone line problems (not Plusnets fault obviously), but waiting in their queue for 40 or 50 minutes each time I call and then being cut-off is beyond tedious. We can't even raise a ticket online anymore. This latest enforced debacle is the final nail.

dnpark38
Rising Star

@oldjack wrote:

For my interest who would you move to? 

Back to Sky.

plusforums
Dabbler

It does seem to have gone downhill. Good honest broadband from Yorkshire?

dnpark38
Rising Star

He is on TV advertising that each day this week 😞

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think excessive advertising is a bad sign.

After all, good products sell themselves.

"We are committed to..............................................."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

I read many posts along the line 'when BTOR move us to the 55/10 product', but why should we assume that BTOR will bother? If PN put us on 55/10 by adjusting our profile it begs the question why BTOR (it's the same company remember) need to bother to do anything except charge PN the 55/10 price.

As a young engineer it was drilled into me that 'He who communicates leads' PN seem to be seriously lagging in this respect with regard to this topic. Or maybe those who are tasked with communicating with us have no idea what's going on either?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

oldjack
Grafter

PN line speed now shows 55 BUT BTW unchanged .Tried the reboots to no avail, I thought the sync was automatic!! What's the next move?