Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Is this a mistake?

@Estragon wrote:

Speed test results without the sync or IP Profile are meaningless on BT Wholesale circuits.

When the BTOR engineer installed the fibre socket he ran a test that showed around 68mbps was the max output my line is capable off

@oldjack wrote:

Lucky fella, I just wonder if or when I'll have the increase. Did you have to re-boot the router? I'm on 40/20 or should I say 38/10. I just wish I knew either way.

No reboot was required but i did so anyway to reset it once i noticed the speed increase, during the initial speedtest it was a bit unstable on the downstream fluctuating between low to high

oldjack
Grafter

Thank you Shylok. I live in hope.

smh
Grafter

oldjack, I was on 37/9  all week until today  -  a few hours ago I tried disconnecting phone line from OR modem, waited a minute of or two then turned OR modem off at the power supply.  Waited another minute or two then re-connected  phone line  to modem, then switched on power to the modem.

I'm using an Apple time capsule as router, when this came back online the Tbb speed test now registers 49.26 down and 9.34 up.  I thought it might go a bit higher, but that's what it is now.

smh
Grafter

Sorry, reply went to dabbler, intended for oldjack.

My BT performance test prior to this was:

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 36.6 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 9.1 Mbps

It's now:

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 49.87 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 7.99 Mbps

Estragon
Rising Star

@shylok wrote:

@Estragon wrote:

Speed test results without the sync or IP Profile are meaningless on BT Wholesale circuits.

When the BTOR engineer installed the fibre socket he ran a test that showed around 68mbps was the max output my line is capable off

That's irrelevant. Your sync speed is what matters, and can be almost exactly calculated from your IP Profile. If your sync speed is low, possibly because of a line problem, then your speed test results will be lower than you expect.

Engineer tests at installation time are history. Useful information but not directly relevant to the result you posted earlier. Your low speed may be nothing to do with the current changes.

oldjack
Grafter

So is the IP  profile the determining factor. If so is it possible to check PN profile to see if it has been changed? It hasn't changed on BT diagnostics or in my modem/router

zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed increase

Here's what has happened to Plusnet.

They were increasing price and and tried softening the blow with " Oh we are moving you up 55mb"

So for a not so savvy customer they think its ok about price hike because i'll get upgrade ( If you call it that) but little did they know the 55mb upgrade was only going to people who live closer to the fibre cabinets and have the ability to get that speed.

So for the last 3 days some people were expecting magically to have a boost in MB, but in reality they dont have the capability to run 55mb.

So PN took the cash and left you where you were, if you were lucky enough to have the capability to reach 55mb then good on you, but remmeber UL has gone down.

Me personally I have 40/20 and have never reached 20 UL its always been about 5 or 6, and I'm on max profile that my line can handle. So no upgrade or downgrade for just price increase on line & calls.

Your welcome

Estragon
Rising Star

Barring system failures at Openreach, BTW or Plusnet, sync determines IP Profile immediately, and (a few times a day) a change of IP Profile triggers a change of Plusnet Current line speed. As you know, the BTW speed test diagnostics give us the IP Profile. The PN CLS is found here.

However from what the PN staff have said in the thread, the 40Mbps seems to be junk if on slugged 80/20. Possibly working correctly on true 55/10 once it catches up in the regular updates.

The easy way to tell if you are on 80/20 or 55/10 is the BTW upstream IP Profile. It will be 20 or 10 respectively.

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Speed increase

The FTTC price hasn't risen, and the line rental/plan/call charges have risen for all customers.

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

OK.... So whats going on tonight.....  Just thought I would check speeds, and downstreams are all over the place.  Upstream very steady at 10Mb!!!  Still no resync, and Bras profile unchanged, so I am still on the 80/20 product, but capped. Its becoming very tiresome... Am i on the new network yet??  Gateway currently is pcl-bng01

Had to do a gateway hop for the first time in ages++  as I was getting at 1 point 10mb download.

Can someone please explain this situation in detail and what exactly is happening. I am seriously beginning to regret recontracting, and advising my parents to do the same.

SwindonMan8
Dabbler

Same problems for me, strange uploads fairly stable, Plusnet have confirmed they have a problem but I'm still waiting for engineer to call (1 Week).

plusforums
Dabbler

BT engineer came to fix my low speed problem today I had after complete loss of sync from Friday to Monday aside from 45 minutes on Saturday night when it worked. I still don't know what or how they fixed it on Monday but anyway. I now have

40.96 down, 8.94 up.  (On bt wholesale test page). My IP profile is 43.31 Mbps,  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

The BT man said he was getting 43 down and 16 up on his tester. As I'm now on 9 Mb up does this sound like I've been moved to 50/10 and thats now why my upload is so low?

dnpark38
Rising Star

@plusforums wrote:

BT engineer came to fix my low speed problem today I had after complete loss of sync from Friday to Monday aside from 45 minutes on Saturday night when it worked. I still don't know what or how they fixed it on Monday but anyway. I now have

40.96 down, 8.94 up.  (On bt wholesale test page). My IP profile is 43.31 Mbps,  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

The BT man said he was getting 43 down and 16 up on his tester. As I'm now on 9 Mb up does this sound like I've been moved to 50/10 and thats now why my upload is so low?

I'm wondering if with all these problems it is going to mean Open Reach resetting the individual lines at the cabinets the DLM thing there.   I know from experience PN do not like to have line DLM reset so if all need doing it should be interesting.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

As far as I know, if the openreach product is changed, this should trigger a resync on the line, from the local DSLAM. This has not happened, and we all still appear to be on a capped 80/20 product, that Plusnet wanted us all off, as it was costing them too much. Still dont understand why they couldnt have waited until we were migrated in batches to 55/10, rather than messing with profiles, that appears to have gone amazingly badly..... And still no update from Plusnet regards what the issues were/are, and whats happening to resolve them, and when we will be actually migrated to the correct BT product
oldjack
Grafter

Am I correct in assuming that Plusnet will only have two Fibre unlimited packages in the future. The standard one will be the up to 55/10 and the Extra at 76/20 or something similar.I can understand the logic of managing two products but Plusnet should compensate those users whose line capabilities fall short of the max but are still facing a slower upload speed. Does that sound reasonable. I still haven't been updated so I'm not sure of the speeds I may be getting.