Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Is this a mistake?

@andytay -

You're speeds are within the estimates for your line (Granted at the lower end. But still within them) and you're in Sync at around 40Mbps down.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 55 40 13.5 9 -- Available -- --

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 41.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.3 Mbps

It looks like as it stands, your speeds are simply being restricted by the capability of your line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
andytay
Rising Star

@HarryB

This was one of our conversations from 2/7/16 which i receive email notifications!

Hi andytay,

HarryB (Community Gaffer) posted a new reply in Fibre Broadband on 02-07-2016 2:46 PM :

Re: Speed increase

That makes sense.

As per my previous post:

HarryB wrote: The change from 40/20 to 55/10 hasn't been implemented yet. It's due to take affect from the start of August.

You're currently on 40/20, therefore the account is capping your download at 40Mbps, so your download throughput would be slightly lower, 38.98 doesn't seem too bad.

The upload speed at 9.74 seems fine and is within the speed estimates for your line.

When the changes to 55/10 are implemented from the start of August, you may see higher download throughput as the profile will be set higher than 40.

I'm guessing i was either lied to or i'm stuck at 36-37meg speed even though i was told otherwise?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

When the changes to 55/10 are implemented from the start of August, you may see higher download throughput as the profile will be set higher than 40.

If your line is capable of higher speeds down, then you would get them. You were not lied to, Harry advised that you MAY see an increase. I'm afraid as your line is only capable of the speeds you're currently seeing you are unlikely to see an increase.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oldjack
Grafter

Speeds change is very small ,probably due to traffic, and I know that my line is capable of higher speeds. had a new master socket fitted when fibre was introduced and download speed was I believe in the 70's. I'm sick of rebooting and the stats in my router show no change so it's in the hands of Plusnet/BT

SpecialD
Rising Star

Just because the line will handle 70 doesn't mean you're going to get anywhere near it though does it.

You're right about the traffic, it's the local congestion. When I had mine first installed I could also get 65-70 (on the engineers tester), but the actual speed syncd was about 55 which then over the year eventually dropped down to around 45.

At this point I decided there was no point being on an "up to 80" package and I might as well sacrifice the extra 5mb/s for £5 off my bill. Since then I'd get 35-38.  Just because the cap is now being lifted up to 80 "for free" I'm pretty sure with the no. of people having moved from ADSL to fibre that I'm unlikely to see any benefit in speed increase whatsoever. So to me this all this new profile is doing is downgrading my upload speed which I find a bit irritating and unnecessary in my point of view. 

oldjack
Grafter

I appreciate your points but as for local traffic I live in quite a small village so I doubt if that is a factor. 

Chris
Legend

@oldjack wrote:

Speeds change is very small ,probably due to traffic, and I know that my line is capable of higher speeds. had a new master socket fitted when fibre was introduced and download speed was I believe in the 70's. I'm sick of rebooting and the stats in my router show no change so it's in the hands of Plusnet/BT

The speed you're getting shouldn't have ever been near 70Mbs as the product you're on doesn't support this, if you were getting these speeds it was likely in error.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SpecialD
Rising Star

Sorry Chris, but unless you've examined the history of every product this person has had with PN and with previous suppliers how would you know this?
 When I had the BT engineer at my premises he tested the line at 67 - 70 mb/s . It was on a blue handheld device with a black and grey digital readout (like a calculator).

Chris
Legend

Sorry Chris, but unless you've examined the history of every product this person has had with PN and with previous suppliers how would you know this?

We can see a history of the products with us and when they upgraded from ADSL to Fibre on our side.

oldjack
Grafter

Thank you Chris I know which package I'm signed up for but as my upload speed has been lowered then I do think my download speed should have increased. I didn'the say I was on a higher package only that the line tested in the mid 70's 

SpecialD
Rising Star

And he's saying it couldn't have been .....

(Happy to dispute your post, but not able to give anyone an update to the ongoing situation which prompted the initial post I see)

shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@30FTTC06 wrote:

@shylok

And the DSL checker ses what ?

Under max output, i expect nearer the 55mbps cap

Capture.JPG14703243272177549098.png

Estragon
Rising Star

Speed test results without the sync or IP Profile are meaningless on BT Wholesale circuits.

Axolotl
Grafter

Finally got there, c. 16.30 today.

50 / 10 service based on OR 80 / 20.

oldjack
Grafter

Lucky fella, I just wonder if or when I'll have the increase. Did you have to re-boot the router? I'm on 40/20 or should I say 38/10. I just wish I knew either way.