cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Bob1
Rising Star

Re: Is this a mistake?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/08/plusnet-botches-38mbps-52mbps-fibre-broadband-upgrade.h...

"UPDATE 6:58pm

We did ask how long it might take to resolve, although Plusnet are currently unable to offer an ETA."

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Ok, just checked my bras profile, using the mouselike.org tool. Saves running the bt speed test.  Bras profile is 77.35 down and 20 up!!!!!!. No sync drops as yet. This therefore appears that I am still on the 80/20 product but being rate limited upstream and Down.  Question is WHY?????. Isnt the whole point to move us to the openreach 55/10 product and not just rate limit the upstream and downstream, and keeping us on 80/20. This I would assume force the sync to 55/10 or thereabouts or change the bras to 55/10.  So my question is why has plusnet rate limited the upstream and not placed bulk orders to move us to the new product with Btw.

So...... until this complete mess is sorted why cant plusnet just remove the upstream limit. Its not as if they will lose money, as unless its just me we are still provisioned on 80/20.

zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 40.99 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

ceejaydee
Hooked

Like many others my decrease in upload speed worked perfectly and I now get 9Mbs but the increase in download speed failed to make any difference. The link http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/08/plusnet-botches-38mbps-52mbps-fibre-broadband-upgrade.h... gives me the reason, but I can find no comment or informative statement from Plusnet.

In case I have missed it can anyone point me to a relevant service statement by PN?

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The increase in download speed (when it is finally implemented) will only make a difference if your attainable rate is higher than 40 Mbps. In other words, if your line can only handle a speed less than 40 Mbps, having the 55 Mbps product won't make your download any faster. Remember, the quoted speeds are maximums. Your actual speed will be determined by what your line can achieve, and/or by the maximum limits of the product. 

InterZoom
Rising Star

@Bob1 wrote:

I was a perfectly satisfied customer until yesterday. It is being kept in the dark about how this problem is being addressed and the lack of any progress reports that is getting me to the stage of believing that the regulator needs to pay a lot more attention

I think I must be missing something...

I'm just not getting why it matters in the slightest if there are no updates.

If the deal is that you get what you're given, whether you like it or not, and subject to arbitrary change, with the proviso that your only recourse is to leave without penalty, then that's the deal. End of.

So whether you're updated or not is irrelevant. If your contract says 40/20, but 55/10 is suddenly acceptable, then 20/5 -- or absolutely anything else -- is also equally acceptable. The price stays the same regardless. There are no other obligations. But you can leave without penalty. Updates about exactly what product you are paying for today (or tomorrow) are not part of that deal. You get the product you get: it's PlusNet's choice, not your's.

I'm not saying for a moment that that is the deal.

I have consistently been arguing (and nobody, including PlusNet, has come up with a valid counter argument) that this change from 40/20 to 55/10 is in itself a straightforward breach of contract and cannot legally be imposed because the variation clauses do not allow for it.

However, sites like ISPreview and ThinkBroadband have taken the same woolly PlusNet line that everything is OK because people are being allowed to leave without penalty.

It is not OK. That is not an accurate representation of the legal position. And I'm afraid that if you follow that logic and all roll over and accept that this particular change in service (and for this particular reason) is contractually valid, then the extension of that thinking is that you also have no expectations of any kind of customer service, nor consistent internet service, nor any other contractual rights: your only right is that you can leave.

Doesn't really work, does it?

The problem is not a lack of updates. The problem is the attempt to change the service in breach of contract in the first place; because it seemed like a clever way to make a quick profit.

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Interzoom The problem is not a lack of updates. The problem is the attempt to change the service in breach of contract in the first place; because it seemed like a clever way to make a quick profit. 

Dont forget PN is the ISP Who love you back ShockedShocked

Marketing Hype for we dont care as long as we make money !!  PN customer care has been thrown out the window by the Bean Counters Evil

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I would be very interested to know if anyone who was provisioned on 40/20, has actually had a successful migration to 55/10

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@penfold - In the run up to this change we did see some people advising they were already seeing 55Mbps down while they still had 20Mbps up and I've also received messages from some people that do appear to be on 55/10, confirmed by links to their speed test results.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
InterZoom
Rising Star

@penfold wrote:

I would be very interested to know if anyone who was provisioned on 40/20, has actually had a successful migration to 55/10

I would actually be much more interested to know how many Fibre Unlimited customers were on the 40/20 variant.

That would reveal how much money we are talking about.

---
Troubleshooting:
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
InterZoom
Rising Star

@HarryB wrote:

In the run up to this change we did see some people advising they were already seeing 55Mbps down while they still had 20Mbps up

More PlusNet profile shenanigans, then (since 55/20 is not an Openreach product).

It's all just so, so murky.

---
Troubleshooting:
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@HarryB wrote:

@penfold - In the run up to this change we did see some people advising they were already seeing 55Mbps down while they still had 20Mbps up and I've also received messages from some people that do appear to be on 55/10, confirmed by links to their speed test results.

Thanks Harry.  This all seems very odd. I and I presume many others would be very grateful for an update, or clarification on what has actually gone wrong here. Continual silence isnt very helpful, and an open and honest appoach here would be more than appreciated.

Can you advise, where we all placed on a bulk order to BTW for a switch to 55/10, or was there some other way of doing this.  If a speedtest is useful, please let me know.  I have already posted my BRAS profiles.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Still synced at 80/20 (with corresponding BRAS profiles) and still getting 40/20 speeds with current line speed set to 40, i.e. absolutely nothing has changed on my account.

Speed test this morning:

My Broadband Speed Test

Last night was a different matter:

My Broadband Speed Test

So not only have they messed up the account changes but there's capacity issues again!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Honest and open , that's what PN used to be back in the day , one of the reason why they were highly thought off.
Now it seems at times , the PN policy is all smoke and mirrors and give as little detail as possible, but only when pressed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Araf
Grafter

Ordinarily if your Bras i.P. profile is below what it should be, my past ISP's have soon rectified the issue. What is the problem here?

i.p profile is 47.38 Mbps but download speed is till sub 40 Mbps. However while yesterday my download speed was circa 39.39, one at 1210 was 87.67!!!! What is going on?

My present download speed is 15.79! Wrong ip profile and  now capacity issues and NO FEEDBACK!

Soon to be used in several business scholls as how not to run a company!