Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Is this a mistake?

I think I've twigged what is going on!

The planned change is from 80/20 OR product capped at 40/20 to 55/10. All apparently supposed to happen today.

Of course, there is no way Openreach could do all the switches in one go. So what Plusnet have done is alter the existing caps in the Plusnet system of 40/unlim to 55/10, and Openreach can do the changeovers to 55/10 product at leisure.

However the internal adjustment has in some (if not all cases) been cocked up, and set to 40/10 instead of 55/10.

MKen
Dabbler

@InterZoom wrote:

Your new super-shiny upload speed was effected immediately, however.

Last time the bill wasn't updated either - until they sorted it. 

As frustrating as it is - I suspect the people meant to be working on it are and just struggling to find a common root cause (I know I have been there with users getting stressed while I desperately try to fix the issue while cursing the idiots who wrote the code)

MKen
Dabbler

Estragon wrote: Of course, there is no way Openreach could do all the switches in one go.

Why  not?  I suspect it is just a case of writing a script to update however many records.  Personally I suspect the Plusnet system isn't making the changes required.

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Seems like I am in the same boat. Was on 40/20 speed tests now show 38/9, from 38/17. Currently still synced at 79999/19999, with no drops in ppp or sync drops. Plusnet line speed showing 40. Pm harry as requested. 

Estragon
Rising Star

Why not? I don't know, but it is clear from the Plusnet statement that they are internally capping the upload. If the customers involved had been switched to the 55/10 product there would be no need to do that. Therefore the customers are still on 80/20, now capped to (40 or 55)/10 internally.

It would make even less sense to have that setup longterm than it did ever to have 40/20 in the first place.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It makes sense to me on the grounds that if i telnet my modem it reports 80/20. If this is the case then maybe Plusnet should pull themselves out of this mess of their own making by removing all their caps and give us 80/20 until OR do their transfer.. It might cost them a few bob but its only a transfer of cash from one bit of  BT to another and would lead to increased goodwill rather than the current ire. Some may also be persuaded to change to 80/20 after trying it.

Just dreaming i know...,.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bob1
Rising Star

" It might cost them a few bob"

Baldrick1, Sounds a good idea to me to salvage a bit of PR to scrap all the caps and leave us on 80/20 till BTOR sort themselves out, AND it wouldn't even cost them a few bob. They're already paying the rent now for 80/20.

plusforums
Dabbler

I think I'm on 40/20, how can I tell? Anyway this is really bad, they should have put the price up slightly - not decreased the upload!!!! I mean how more more expensive is the 40/20 product to plusnet from BT openreach ?? (who they are part of really) I can't see how this is saving them much money and all its doing is losing loyal customers who are with them for the good upload speed.

Very bad decision, no doubt made by some idiot manager sitting in an office somewhere who has no clue about upload speed and its importance to home working and no clue about marketing and customer relations.

What about people who , due to their distance from cab, can't get the increased downspeed of 52 MB, they will be losing their upload and not gaining the extra down speed!?

Bob1
Rising Star

"I mean how much more expensive is the 40/20 product to plusnet from BT openreach ??"

https://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Openreach-releases-a-new-middle-tier-FTTC-option/td-p/1568687

5th post down on the list: they are splitting the difference with us. They save £1.55 over what we have now (capped by them at 40) and we get a product for the same price as they sell their base fttc product which costs them £1.50 more for us.

On a different point, 40/2 looks like a dumb option as it's only saving 50p over 40/10, loses the 40/10 market to Sky and lumps them in with selling the same cheapo option as TalkTalk.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

I expect that it was well known in the industry that PlusNet were planning to migrate customers from 40/20 to 55/10. I wondered therefore whether it was coincidence, or a measure of how likely they thought the migration would go to plan, that those friendly family members at BT are running an offer on the service that disgruntled PlusNet customers are most likely to move to?

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looking at the product change wizard this morning, I'd like to go with this option, please:

keep the 20Mbps upload speed my contract says I should get.

It's great if you regularly upload, apparently...

Well, so the company tells me, anyway...

I should be getting 20Mbps upload, but am getting less than 10Mbps because PlusNet has suddenly applied a new upload bandwidth cap using internal equipment. Why is that?I should be getting 20Mbps upload, but am getting less than 10Mbps because PlusNet has suddenly applied a new upload bandwidth cap using internal equipment. Why is that?

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
act123
Grafter

I'm getting 40/10 rather than 55/10 so have PM'd @HarryB as requested.  Here's hoping for some progress today.

Araf
Grafter

and the update is.......?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@HarryB Regarding the still stuck at 40Mbps issue it has occurred to me overnight that when I upgraded to fibre in May 2015 my profile, whilst showing 40Mbps, was stuck at around 23Mbps. This was solved by Chris (I seem to remember there was more than one Chris around at the time) who reportedly simply changed my profile then put it back to 40Mbps. At the time there were several of us for which this fix(!?) worked. Could this be the same problem and/or a patch applied at the time to solve this that is causing this problem? Maybe it's worth mentioning it to those working on it and/or trying it out yourself.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

BT offerd us an upgrade to 55/10 to stay with them 2 months ago!

Sort of odd seeing as our max attainable is only 37/6