Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Is this a mistake?

@ITWorks

The 10Mbps upload cap is being applied by PlusNet's equipment.

Which is very interesting, because they never used to profile the upstream, only the downstream (supposedly to allow excessive data coming in from the internet to be traffic managed in a controlled manner rather than being crudely dropped by a 'policer' at the bRAS).

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
magicsnaps
Dabbler

Wish there had been something on Twitter about this, before I too had a conversation with a bewildered Emma at Chat Support - Plusnet's apologies are owing to Emma.  Have checked several times but no sign of a Speed Increase as yet.  Disappointing. Always best to under-promise and over-deliver in my experience….. 

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@InterZoom i am fully aware of that , i was referring to, some orders seem to have been put through incorrectly when regrading accounts to 55/10 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Estragon
Rising Star

"The 10Mbps upload cap is being applied by PlusNet's equipment."

I don't think that is the case. 40/20 customers were on 80/20 with the download capped to 40 by Plusnet, but the 55/10 they are being moved to is a (fairly new) bog standard Openreach product.

Edit - it seems the poster is correct, due to the way Plusnet are doing the change for the moment.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Estragon - Although you're right about how 40/20 was provided and that 55/10 is a wholesale product that the connections will be moved to.

Post 186

@HarryB wrote:

As a few of you have already discovered and advised here, unfortunately the change from 40/20 to 55/10 is not something our advisors over the phone or web chat are able to help with.

Although it is currently not worth calling/web chatting to chase this issue up, we are aware of this and we are currently looking in to this to correct the change to 55/10.

I do appreciate the affected people bringing this to our attention and I've made a note of your accounts to pass on to the relevant people so try and find a pattern of people that are now seeing 40/10 as opposed to 55/10 as they should.

I would kindly request that people do not call/web chat to chase up why their speeds appear to have changed to 40/10 and not 55/10 as expected, however please do continue to let us know here or by PMing me your username so I can pass as many examples on as possible to help further investigations.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Estragon
Rising Star

Smiley

My post was pointing out that "Post 196" in this thread was incorrect. The 10Mbps upstream cap is not applied by Plusnet within their own system.

Edit - it turns out I was wrong here. I thought people had been moved to 55/10 but for the moment some haven't. They've just had both their down and up maximum speeds on 80/20 altered :(.

JasonMassey
Grafter

HarryB,

I was on a 40/20 product.  Today my upload has been put on 9.5 mbps cap, however download still on 38 mbps.  My download modem sync speed is over 52mbps so there is more capacity on my line.

Above aside, i'm a software developer working from home, upload is very important to me.   With this change I've lost over 3mbps on my upload.  

I've been out of contact for a very long time, I could of re-negotiated a new contract with discount but I chose to keep the rolling contact to keep the 40/20 product,  Is there any possibility my full upload speed can be returned?

Many thanks

Jason

Bob1
Rising Star

I agree with you and
shows my line speed as capped at 40 down, it doesn't say anything about an upload cap.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@JasonMassey wrote:

HarryB,

I was on a 40/20 product.  Today my upload has been put on 9.5 mbps cap, however download still on 38 mbps.  My download modem sync speed is over 52mbps so there is more capacity on my line.

Thanks for flagging that up, I've added your account to the list.

@JasonMassey wrote:
Is there any possibility my full upload speed can be returned?

Unfortunately not while staying on the lower fibre package.

As per recent notifications sent to customers, any 40/20 connections will be moved to 55/10 connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
JasonMassey
Grafter

HarryB,

Thanks for looking into 55mbps profile issue.

Otherwise regarding upload, I expect only option would be to move to an 80/20 account now?

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Has the change from 40/20 to 55/10 worked for anyone?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@JasonMassey - Unfortunately that's correct.

@BrightonRock - Yes. We're seeing that some people are receiving 55/10 as they should do. The more examples we can collate of people seeing 40/10, the quicker we should be able to get a resolution in place.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rbroadbe
Grafter

I think i'm still seeing 40/10 and, trying to work from home, my network connection has dropped 4 times in the past 21 minutes.  Normally rock solid for VPN / VOIP calls.  Is there ongoing work which would affect stability?

Vic20
Dabbler

I'm in the same boat, Modem Synching at 79/20 but since this morning getting 37/9.5 (from 37/17.5)  And the 9.5 is very stuttery Angry

I'm totally disgusted by this move, more and more we are being encouraged to use cloud services so what do PN/BT do? yes, chop your access by half!!

Never let a good service get in the way of a profit opportunity!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

So what is the truth regarding who it is that is applying the 9.5Mbps cap? I only ask because telnetting my router gives: 

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 24168 Kbps, Downstream rate = 76584 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps

So surely it must be Plusnet deliberately throttling the speed to 9.5Mbps whilst failing to lift the download to 55Mbps?

So Plusnet, if this is the case, why not put we customers to whom you appear to be deliberately failing to provide the promised 55Mbps on 80Mbps or put us back onto 40/20 until you sort yourselves out. I can sympathise  when there is a [-Censored-] up or a breakdown, but this is neither - it is deliberately capping upstream whilst failing to provide the promised downstream rates.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed avoidance of swear filter

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'