Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Speed increase

We stopped selling 40/20 in June 2015. Customers on 40/20 prior to this change remained on that speed unless the package was changed.

Customers who signed up/changed package to Unlimited fibre after we stopped selling 40/20 in June 2015 will be on 40/2.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
andytay
Rising Star

I signed up december 2014 and renewed my contract in june 2016!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Exactly.

You signed up before we stopped selling 40/20 and you haven't changed on to a different package, therefore you're still currently on the speeds capped at 40/20, until we change this to 55/10 at the start of August.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
andytay
Rising Star

Ok i will look forward to seeing my line speed increase in August, But what annoys me is when i took the original contract out  plusnet did a line speed check and said my maximun speed on this line was 40/20 as that was the maximum permissible speed for my phone line.

So i will wait and see what August will bring!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

as you are on 40/20 which is a Plusnet capped 80/20 why don't you run the BT Speedtest Further diagnostics and see what the IP profile is as that will tell you what your line is capable of

andytay
Rising Star

I did and this is what i got.

andytay
Rising Star

Also did the diagnostics and got this which states there is a problem with my line!

Could someone have a look please!

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Harry, Can you answer the questions below please? Many thanks...

Just to clarify, is the 55/10 product going to be available to new customers?

Also, when my contract ends, If I renegotiate a new deal with PN, will I stay on 55/10 (this is what I will be on from 1st August), or will I have to take 40/2 or 80/20?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It is not available to new customers. We're simply moving 40/20 connections to 55/10 as we can't provision on 40/20 on a wholesale level (They're all provisioned on 80/20) so it makes more sense to have the connections provisioned on something we can actually order. 55/10 seems a better option than 40/10 or 40/2.

If you re-contract you should keep the same speeds. Providing you stay on the same package, it shouldn't trigger any speed caps to be put in place.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Harry - much appreciated.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries. If you do have any problems with that, drop me a PM.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

It makes more sense to have have just 55/10 or 80/20 options for everyone but hey im not the one running a once great ISP into the ground.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I agree. This would have been a perfect opportunity to allow people who need a faster upload speed, but who can't get over 40 download, a product that would cater to their needs. PN could even tier the pricing to make it a little more than 40/2 but less than 80/20. 

But this missed opportunity means that PN don't cater for those in the above category that want the faster upload speed. PN will have to cater for those people eventually because upload speed is becoming increasingly important, and it is just a matter of time before ISPs really start to advertise upload speeds as well as download. Right now, enough people don't pay attention to upload speed to make it a commercially viable option for PN to only offer 2Mbps upload for those that can't achieve over 40 download.

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@HarryB wrote:

It is not available to new customers. We're simply moving 40/20 connections to 55/10 as we can't provision on 40/20 on a wholesale level (They're all provisioned on 80/20) so it makes more sense to have the connections provisioned on something we can actually order. 55/10 seems a better option than 40/10 or 40/2.

Ah. Good. So that's clear and unambiguous.

I'm afraid this reason is not covered by PlusNet's terms and conditions.

"It makes more sense" -- all of a sudden -- doesn't cut it by a long way:

• Clause 18.1.1  - doesn't apply (we may change the service if we change the service!)
  • Clause 18.1.2  - not relevant as this isn't a product re-structure, it's providing the same product in a way which, newly "makes more sense" to PlusNet, but is, in fact, detrimental to many customers
  • Clause 18.1.3 - has been ruled out by the above explanation ie. there has been no cost increase
  • Clause 18.1.4 - a 50% speed reduction is not a better service, and the relevant Openreach product hasn't changed
  • Clause 18.1.5 - no new law
  • Clause 18.1.6 - not applicable
  • Clause 18.1.7 - no unpredictable change in circumstances making necessary

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

So that means that, entirely regardless of whether those terms may or may not be found to be unfair more broadly, there is in any case no contractual basis upon which you can downgrade my service for the express reason given. Sorry.

So please stop right there and do not make any changes to my service on 1st August. I wish to stay on 40/20, as originally provisioned; and it is now evident that I have every legal right to do so, without needing to establish anything further.

Thanks.

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Surely Clause 18.1 covers it

18.1. We may change the price, or other charges, the service or the terms of our agreement:

and then

Clause 18.3 applies in this case so they can change your service but you can refuse to accept it and leave

18.3. If any change is to your material disadvantage (and isn't as set out in paragraph 18.1.5) you may end our agreement for any affected service by giving us notice of your intention to leave within 30 days' of our notice. If you do so, then: