Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed increase

Probably. And that's fine. They make their choices according to the values by which they want to run their business. At least I've put the idea "out there".

But the law is the law, so on the specific contractual issue, not listening is not an option.

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
Vic20
Dabbler

Dear Vic

Here at Plusnet, we believe in doing you proud. So over the last few months, we’ve been busy working away on a range of improvements that will make your experience even better.

Just to add to this thread that I am extremely disappointed by being "Done Proud" and completely fail to see how my experience of waiting twice as long for uploads to complete will somehow make life better!

Is someone from Plusnet available to explain the condescending and plainly inaccurate nature of that email? 

gs

I'm out of contract according to the Member Centre and from August will be on the 55/10 package. If I signed a new 18-month contract (for example, to qualify for a Plusnet Hub), would I get the same speeds, or would I go down to 2Mb upload speed? Thanks. 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

HarryB wrote:
@InterZoom + @Panikos Leave it with me, I'll have a look in to it in more detail.

Update on this. I've removed the contract and dropped an email to the relevant department.

@gs - If you stay on the same package, your speeds should stay the same unless otherwise stated.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Panikos
Dabbler

Thanks Harry Thumbs_Up

I can confirm that it has been removed.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Just to clarify, is the 55/10 product going to be available to new customers?

Also, when my contract ends, If I renegotiate a new deal with PN, will I stay on 55/10 (this is what I will be on from 1st August), or will I have to take 40/2 or 80/20?

The change isn't too bad for me in that I currently sync at 47Mbps but I am capped at 40. My upload sync is 8.5Mbps, so I will gain a little download and not lose any upload. It is just pure luck that I gain out of it, it could easily have been a loss.

If I renew my contract when it ends and have to take 40/2 or 80/20, then I will be off. 2Mbps upload simply won't cut it for me.

blossomwalk15
Hooked

Sorry for the stupid question, but the email has prompted me to have a look around.  I can see cheaper offers (I won't post them here in case that's against a guideline) but can I confirm the switching process - as someone still in contract?  Do I need to call PlusNet first to give notice that I am leaving as a result of the price rise, or will PN realise that automatically and not apply early-termination fees? 

Thanks

Drew

InterZoom
Rising Star

@HarryB wrote:

@HarryB wrote:
@InterZoom + @Panikos Leave it with me, I'll have a look in to it in more detail.

Update on this. I've removed the contract and dropped an email to the relevant department.

Thanks for the update @HarryB

Can you confirm that if I switch to 80/20 in the next couple of weeks it will go though the system without any erroneous imposition of a new minimum term?

I can't be doing with any unnecessary hassle over it.

The standard contract terms PlusNet are relying upon to force a compulsory downgrade on some customers, slashing speed in half and thereby doubling upload times, could no doubt be argued to be unfair under UTCCRs (I signed before Oct.'15). The underlying Openreach product hasn't changed, it has merely become inconvenient for PlusNet. And being required to change supplier, even without exit charges, is not a satisfactory remedy given the bundled nature of services, the unique nature of the product, and the inevitable penalty of a lock-in period with any new provider. As @Panikos said, it's very one-sided. And I would add entirely arbitrary from a consumer perspective.

But I might just go for the easier option. (Doesn't preclude a later claim.)

Then await the 80/20 price increase under the same terms! Roll_eyes

---
Troubleshooting:
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If you go through the upgrade on the account and it does put a contract on. Let me know and I'll sort it out for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
InterZoom
Rising Star

Thank you, @HarryB

Much appreciated.

To be clear, and for the record: I would not upgrade to the 80/20 product out of choice. It would be because I were forced to do so in order to preserve my existing upload speed and contractual position by PlusNet's exercise of Section 18 of your Standard Terms. I still contend that to be unfair within the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. I do not need the extra download speed.

(Others' contracts will fall under CRA'15, of course.)

---
Troubleshooting:
andytay
Rising Star

I have actually found out that i am paying for 40/20 and my upload speed is around 9.5mb! This wasnt stated when i took another 18 month contrect out last month?

Seens even though i cant upgrade to the 50mb download i have lost my upload speed.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@andytay - The change from 40/20 to 55/10 hasn't been implemented yet. It's due to take affect from the start of August.

The estimates for your line are -
Download: 40Mbps to 53.3Mbps
Upload: 8.7Mbps to 13.4Mbps

If you're currently getting 9.5Mbps upload, this is within your estimates and just indicates that the drop from 40/20 to 55/10 won't affect you much, other than a possibility of slightly more download speeds while receiving the same upload as you are now.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
andytay
Rising Star

Hi Harry

I have done a line speed check with BT wholesale, This is what I get.

Regards Andy

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That makes sense.

As per my previous post:

HarryB wrote:
The change from 40/20 to 55/10 hasn't been implemented yet. It's due to take affect from the start of August.

You're currently on 40/20, therefore the account is capping your download at 40Mbps, so your download throughput would be slightly lower, 38.98 doesn't seem too bad.

The upload speed at 9.74 seems fine and is within the speed estimates for your line.

When the changes to 55/10 are implemented from the start of August, you may see higher download throughput as the profile will be set higher than 40.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ginisdad
Dabbler

@andytay wrote:

I have actually found out that i am paying for 40/20 and my upload speed is around 9.5mb! This wasnt stated when i took another 18 month contrect out last month?

Seens even though i cant upgrade to the 50mb download i have lost my upload speed.

how did you get 40/20 I thought they were only selling 40/2 now?