cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

DTEG
Rising Star

Re: Is this a mistake?

Currently looking into other options. Download means nothing to me, I was always about the upload. Why would they do this Cry

Unfortunately, at some level it represents the shift in strategy of Plusnet as a company, away from being the savvy choice for people who knew what they were buying based upon their specific needs, to being mass market lowest common denominator. That this shift started around the same time as the acquisition by BT (and accompanying mainstream TV advertising) I am sure is coincidental. Bear in mind that new customers currently get a 40/2 (yes, 2Mb upload) service - though that fact has recently been removed from the headline information on the website, it's still there but you have to dig deep into the legal section to find it.

Lurch
Rising Star

@weezul wrote:
Why would they do this

I think has been explained on this forum quite a few times now, I have certainly read it several times a day for the last few days.

weezul
Dabbler

I had no idea the company was bought by BT. Shame
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That was around 8/9 years ago now.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DTEG
Rising Star

But the stranglehold has developed considerably in the last 4 or 5 of those years. Initially it seemed to be a pretty loose control, recognising Plusnet's unique qualities and giving them considerable business latitude. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe they have been forced to buy BT Wholesale products all that time, and indeed (albeit controversially) continued to unbundle via Tiscali for a long while. Day by day it's becoming harder to spot the difference now, though, but thankfully there is still a level of transparency and honesty with Plusnet with regards to which this announcement is a rare glitch.

weezul
Dabbler

@Lurch wrote:

@weezul wrote:
Why would they do this

I think has been explained on this forum quite a few times now, I have certainly read it several times a day for the last few days.

Consider it more a hands-in-the-air 'WHYYYYYYYYY'

Panikos
Dabbler

Re: Speed increase

I'm now paying £5 a month more for the 80/20 just to escape the PlusNet compulsory downgrade.

I'm not getting the 80 of course, but up to 60 (the estimates are just to impress) and that makes little practical difference to me anyway.

Then they have the nerve to call it a new 18 month contract. I was happy with the old contract until they decided it only applied to one side.

PeteW1959
Grafter

If they are calling it a new 18 month contract I would question it. I have 11 months to run, but according to My Account control panel if I upgrade it is still within the existing contract.

Just about to ring them and give notice to leave; I'll see what they offer me to stay.

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Panikos wrote:

I'm now paying £5 a month more for the 80/20 just to escape the PlusNet compulsory downgrade.

[...]

Then they have the nerve to call it a new 18 month contract. I was happy with the old contract until they decided it only applied to one side.

No new 18-month minimum contract term according to PlusNet's terms & conditions:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Is-this-a-mistake/m-p/1346074#M40620

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
andytay
Rising Star

What about those (like me) whos line can only reach speeds of 40mb will i lose my upload speed aswell?

Chris
Legend

We are using a different wholesale product, so the upload speed will be up to 9.4Mb/s for anyone who was previously on 40/20.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@andytay What upload speeds are you seeing at the moment?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
andytay
Rising Star

BT wholesale ,

Download 37.88

upload 9.55

Chris
Legend

Based on that, and your line being currently in sync at 12.5Mb/s on the upstream you may notice a small decrease in the actual download throughput.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

With computing and storage moving more to Cloud based services it appears to me that we need to move towards bringing upstream and downstream speeds closer to being the same. So Plusnet are 'improving their service' by decreasing upload speed by 50% whilst increasing download speed (fine for those of us who can get it) by 37.5%. Is it me?? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'