cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

Panikos
Dabbler

Re: Is this a mistake?

and yes I know I may get a greater download speed if my line can manage it, but I'd have bought the more expensive package before if I'd needed that. It's the upload speed I need.

euandoig

Re: Speed increase

I agree - a friend of mine is a home worker and requires his 17MB upload speed. However, he's just been told that the changes mean it's going down to 7mb, and if he wants the extra speed back he'll have to pay an extra £5 a month for an Extra package. So, in effect that's more than just a 'price change' - as a home worker, he's being held ransom with a withdrawal of service unless he pays more! That can't be right.

dsalazar
Dabbler

You are cutting our upload speed by 50% and not passing any of the savinsg you are getting by switching to a lower tier Openreach contract.

The 20MB/s was the only advantage you had over your competition. You just killed that advantage to save a few pounds. Good luck keeping customers after you decide to lower the service level mid-contract without adjusting the price fairly.

dsalazar
Dabbler

Re: Speed increase

You are cutting a scarce resource by 50% mid-contract and giving back a bit of a readily available resource. You are cuting costs by moving to a lower tier Openreach contract and not passing any of the savings.

PeteW1959
Grafter

Just checked *all* the offers from other providers, and it seems that only BT, Plusnet (who AFAIK are owned by BT) and EE (who are now owned by BT) can offer 80/20 in my area. BT and EE come out at around £10/month more than Plusnet for the 80/20 and Anytime calls package.

Monopoly or what? I thought BT had to unbundle all services to other providers.

DTEG
Rising Star

Free upgrades to 80/20 would be the decent thing to do for those of us adversely affected, to avoid a PR disaster. Not that I want 80 down (can't get it anyway) but 20 reduced to 10 on the upload is a major showstopper for anyone doing anything requiring heavy uploading (not just pirates, y'know). We were assured at the time that uploads for new customers were controversially slashed to 2Mb, that our upload speeds were safe unless we requested a regrade. What happened? Plusnet know they offer some of the fastest uploads anyway, so termination is pointless; we're over a barrel.

Panikos
Dabbler

I'd have liked the appearance at least of caring. They could have said 'This probably isn't very welcome, but if you want to upgrade we'll postpone charging you the extra for x months and we won't call it a new 18month contract'.

euandoig

This really is utter nonsense , because he's only halfway through a contract! It's like sitting in first class on a flight halfway across the Atlantic, and being moved back down the plane because the prices have suddenly gone up! Travesty.

dsalazar
Dabbler

@euandoig wrote:

This really is utter nonsense , because he's only halfway through a contract! It's like sitting in first class on a flight halfway across the Atlantic, and being moved back down the plane because the prices have suddenly gone up! Travesty.

The Openreach wholesale price for the tier they sold us has not even changed. They are just lowering our service to increase their profit. I guess some BT exec needed an extra gold comb.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

PN dont seam to have handled this very good Roll_eyes its ok saying we have given you a free download speed increase ?

this will only be correct if the customers line supports the speed !  some customers were put on the 40 download because the line max was below this , so by giving them 55 if the max line speed is less than 40 they still will only get that speed

so the free extra download speed is non existing Crazy2

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Except that with a speed up 40Mb/s or less the maximum upstream will very likely be 10Mb/s or less

As an example this is mine

Connection speed (kbps):	46320		10848
SNR margin (dB):        	  5.1		  3.6

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

With those current margins Jim, I'd think that any resync will see a drop in speed Sad

DTEG
Rising Star

I've just had an on-line chat with [CSA Removed], and she assured me that the 40/20 service is safe until end of contract, and that her team leader has raised the issue of the information conveyed in today's email with the marketing department. Hopefully we'll get a retraction soon. Given the rather precise wording of the email, it doesn't sound like an error, more that they had second thoughts - no doubt after [CSA Removed] and her colleagues were bombarded with complaints.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) CSA name removed as per Forum rules

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@DTEG I'm sorry to say the advisor you spoke to on chat is wrong. Customers currently on 40/20 are being changed to 55/10.

I've been and had a word with the advisor/their manager.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DTEG
Rising Star

Thanks, @HarryB - it didn't seem the most convincing of explanations, but she seemed quite certain in the end. Obviously major comms issues all round if the support staff don't know the packages on offer.