cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a mistake?

PeteW1959
Grafter

Is this a mistake?

Just got an email detailing some changes that are coming in on 1st August. My download speed is changing from 38Mb to 52Mb, that's great, but it also says upload is changing from 19Mb to 9.5Mb. Surely this is a typo, or am I losing upload bandwidth to increase download?

If that is the case then no thank you, please leave it as it is. I rarely stream video or music, and never play online games, but as I look after several websites I do upload a lot of data so I would rather keep bandwidth as it is.

659 REPLIES 659
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Is this a mistake?

Not a typo and you don't have a choice to stay where you are.

So The Options are

1. Pay Plusnet more for the 80/20 service
  2. Leave Plusnet as set out in the email
  3. Learn to enjoy the 9.4Mbps upload
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

No typo, it's correct ,obviously for people who need their upload its not good news.

It is a cost cutting excessive in my view as all 40/20 was provisioned on 80/20 , its cheaper for them to now provision these on 55/10.

If you don't like it, unfortunately you will need to move as they are not going to keep people on it , once you have your email regarding price rise and changes you can switch penalty free.

Regards

Mike  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

As SpendLessTime and ITWorks have said, it is correct that the accounts on 40/20 will be changed to 55/10. Unfortunately 40/20 isn't an option to provision on a wholesale level, so it makes more sense to move these on to 55/10.

@ITWorks - OP has said they received the email regarding the speeds, and as the upload speed is dropping, this would be classed as a detrimental change and give the option to leave without early termination fees.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
PeteW1959
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will leaving Plusnet after 10 years.

One further question; as 40/20 is no longer an option for wholesale, and I am in a BT only area, does that mean only BT broadband can give me 40/20? My mobile contract is with EE and I am considering switching to them for landline and broadband.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Nobody will give you 40/20 so you would either need to upgrade to 80/20 or accept an up to 10Mb/s upload

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

40/20 has never been a wholesale option and I don't believe BT Retail/Consumer offer 40/20.

As OldJim has said, it'd have to be (If remaining on the BT Network) an upgrade to an 80/20 service or a 10Mbps upload option.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Will it be possible to keep the 20Mbps upload by paying for the 80/20 product already provisioned (with removal of the PlusNet cap, obviously,) without entering a new fixed term contract?

Extremely unhappy about this downgrade. Halving the contracted speed is not a variation I wish to affirm. It's a very significant reduction in service.

EDIT: Having read the Terms & Conditions, it looks as if switching to 80/20 is an option and does not require a new contract --

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/product-change-policy/

Switching between our fibre broadband products won’t change the length of your contract (i.e. you won’t have to agree to any additional minimum contract term) and no administration charges apply.

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

8.3. You can change from one of our fibre broadband services to another or one of our broadband services to another at any time. Any minimum term remaining for your service will be carried forward to your new service and charges will be payable for the new service as found in the Price Guide.

You still get shafted on price, but at least not on the contract. It's only money...

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
dsalazar
Dabbler

Hmm, a 50% drop in upload bandwidth without a price decrease? Seems like a terrible deal for us consumers. The 20Mb upload speed was the only advantage of Plusnet; with this gone customers will desert them.

dsalazar
Dabbler

Re: Speed increase

This is not really a speed increase. They are cutting upload speeds by 50% and only giving you a few extra MB of download speed. This change should be bundled with a price decrease as this is now an inferior service.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Upload is dropping from 20Mbps to 10Mbps, but download is increasing by 15Mbps from 40Mbps to 55Mbps.

I'm not sure how it's not a speed increase when the download speed is increasing by more than the upload speed is decreasing.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
dnpark38
Rising Star

Had an e-mail about an hour ago from Plusnet telling me they had increased recently the network speeds, well I hadn't noticed it, but what I have noticed is the speed reduction from 32 Mbs to 29 Mbs.

Plusnet Team can I have the lost 3 Mbs back please and the increase on top that your e-mail talks about please?

The e-mail then goes on to tell me my Line rental will be £1 more per month and my phone calls will be £0.50 month more.

I can leave within 30 days it says without penalty.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@dsalazar wrote:

Hmm, a 50% drop in upload bandwidth without a price decrease?

A 10Mbps drop in upload speed, with a 15Mbps increase in download speed.

@dsalazar wrote:

The 20Mb upload speed was the only advantage of Plusnet; with this gone customers will desert them.

We haven't offered 40/20 speeds on new sign-ups/package changes since June 2015.

We do still offer the 20Mbps upload speed on the 80/20 fibre package (Unlimited fibre extra)

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Panikos
Dabbler

I'll be upgrading to the more expensive package so a good move there for plusnet. It's not usually considered acceptable to charge for a downgrade though so I'm not impressed.

And yes I agree there shouldn't be a new 18month contract because we were forced to pay more to get what we had already.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@HarryB

Seriously? 

Next you'll be claiming that the change results in an increase of download speed of 25Mbps above the upload speed. Wink

My other car isn't a Ferrari