cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this FTTP that means I can sign up for the FTTP trial?

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Is this FTTP that means I can sign up for the FTTP trial?

It shows WBC FTTP available but it seems to be against FTTP on Demand which I think is something totally different.

fttp.png

11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Is this FTTP that means I can sign up for the FTTP trial?

No.

The left hand column is the important one and it shows, as you suspect FTTP on Demand which is a very expensive product and is not offered by Plusnet.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SteveA
Pro

I suspected as such - I know Cheltenham is an FTTP install area and there seem to be new boxes going in just round the corner from me (between my house and cabinet 84 which is a long way away) but I guess they're not doing our area....

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If they are installing cabinets it is unlikely to be for FTTP. The Distribution Points go either in an underground chamber or hang from poles. Aggregation Nodes for the optical cable do the same. The following gives some idea

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

If they are doing FTTP work in your general area it might help if you to try going down the FTTP on Demand route with another provider. OpenReach are changing the method of calculating the install costs to a customer premises. From what I can seen (but don't quote me on this!!!) you would pay only the costs to get to the nearest aggregation point. I think this can be further reduced if more than one customer signs up at the same time (or discounts are applied if the works makes FTTP available to others). Still an expensive option though.

Brian

SteveA
Pro

They dug up most of the pavement and seem to have put a larger chamber in along with two new large green cabs, on a road that didn't have any cabs at all (but had FTTC from another cab)

bmc
Hero

Any new housing planned for the area?

Other than accosting any poor OR engineer near the new cabinets there are a couple of thing s you could try.

Is there a "superfast" program for your area. If so it's website might have details eg they might be adding the cabinets and re-engineer phone lines in the area due to the distance involved.

Have a look at the CodeLook website. Now it's not always accurate or up to date (they started upgrading my area to FTTP back is August (cabinet not compatible with FTTC)) but CodeLook shows my cabinet purely as "fibre not available" - funny that as I got my FTTP install on Thursday.  But what the list of cabinets on my Exchange does show is 4 new cabinets are being planned for the area. Unfortunately is doesn't show where so could be for new housing rather than dealing with Exchange Only lines.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Brian

SteveA
Pro

Not where the new cabs are - houses are about 8 years old. New development at the top of the hill but their lines are coming in from the top.

Codelook reports everything is just FTTC or not available - which is odd as Cheltenham is an FTTP area

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Given FoD is only offered in VDSL areas (since it feeds of the same infrastructure) and the screenshot in op clearly shows VDSL being available, albeit not at the greatest speeds, then you've got absolutely no hope of getting native FTTP anytime in the near future...
SteveA
Pro

Oh well I guess its gone the same way as the G.Fast trial....

bmc
Hero

Had a look at Cheltenham on CodeLook. It has about a  dozen Exchanges and looking at each shows why FTTP is being used. Many of the Exchanges have multiple cabs with no Fibre service - indeed at least 3 have no Fibre cabinets. What I didn't see is any sign of new cabinets being planned unlike my Exchange which shows 4.

If the new cabinets are not for current construction work (and I would assume they would have been built within or very near the new estate) then it has to be for local connections. Note that nowadays new builds of over 30 house (I think) get native FTTP as standard.

So there are two possibilities. One is there are so many lines in the area with poor connections they've decided to put in a new cabinet and re-engineer the lines. Given you already get a VDSL service (abet at poor speeds) I would have thought this unlikely given the number of areas in your locality that have no service.

The second is that there is a pocket of Exchange only lines and the new cabinet is for them - this happened near me. There were 60 od EO lines that were given a new cabinet. You can check on CodeLook to see if EO lines exist near you. Pockets of them are shown as "Exchange x" on the list of cabinets. One post code is shown and clicking on the cabinet link shows if any other post codes apply. Note this cannot be taken as accurate - it's only a guide.

Finally if you put your post code in the following what does it say.

http://www.fastershire.com/

Brian

SteveA
Pro

The whole cabinet set up round me is very odd I'm on 84 (which is a good walk away) which has about 3 separate cabs, but there is also 184 (near the bottom of my road) . Code look reports that my post code is served by 3 cabs  84,  185 and 82 ( FTTC being Built, live due by March 2018  ) - which looks, from the post codes on the map, to be the new cab going in the road parallel to mine.

Fastershire reports:

It looks like you're in a superfast broadband enabled area.

Your postcode is a Virgin Media enabled area, for more information, please visit Virgin Media.

bmc
Hero

Looks like the answer is something I didn't consider - a neighbouring cabinet is being upgraded.

OpenReach wiring routes have long been a bug bear for internet purposes but most of the problem area were constructed before the internet when all that mattered was providing a phone service. I've seen reports where one side of a street has excellent VDSL speeds and the other stuck on poor quality ADSL simply because they are connected to different cabinets.

Your out of luck by the look of things unless you consider Virgin.

Brian