cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anything i can do to get faster upload speed? If not, why?

yada
Hooked

Is there anything i can do to get faster upload speed? If not, why?

Hi there,

Apologies in advance for a potentially ignorant question, but i think my upload speed should be better. Here's why:

I used to be on ADSL, my speed was ~2Mbit down and <0.5Mbit up. It was like this for years, and was told that it's not possible to get more because of noise on the line.

Our area has now been fibre enabled, so i've got fibre. Speed is now 20Mbit down and ~1Mbit up. Why is this not, say, 5Mbit? Fibre has given me 10x my previous download speed (which is awesome), but only twice the upload, and often less. 

The connection seems excellent. Latency has plummeted; it used to hover around the high 30's (ms) to test servers, but since going to fibre it's consistently <15ms. Jitter seems to be basically non-existent as it's reported as 0ms consistently, whereas previous connection it was 2-4ms. There is no packet loss as far as i can tell. Pingtest gives me A*, but yet my upload remains terrible. My intuition tells me that something can be done to give me a good upload but, alas, my intuition is based on ignorance. Can anyone shed some light? I want 10Mbit upload, but 5 would be cool, can it be done?

Cheers 

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is there anything i can do to get faster upload speed? If not, why?

Because the product you ordered is 40/2

That is up to 40Mb/s down and 2Mb/s up

However it is possible though unlikely that the upstream is lower than 2Mb/s as it uses a separate and narrower frequency band compared to the downstream so you could be hitting a limit there

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Oldjim wrote:

Because the product you ordered is 40/2

That is up to 40Mb/s down and 2Mb/s up

I'm afraid that's not the answer to this one Undecided

FTTC Estimates.PNG

The second part of your posts seems like it could be the answer on this one as opposed to limits of the package.

@Oldjim wrote:
upstream is lower than 2Mb/s as it uses a separate and narrower frequency band compared to the downstream so you could be hitting a limit there

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
yada
Hooked

Thanks for responses. I didn't know it was limited to 2Mbit up. I assumed it would give me maximum possible of the package but wasn't aware that this was only 2Mbit. Anyway, since the fibre extra package is up to 76Mbit down (which is twice the normal fibre package), does this mean it would only be twice the normal fibre on upload, too? So 4Mbit up? How do i get 10? I've seen people on these boards before with really nice upload speeds, what package are they on? I only see 2 options on Plusnet page. Lastly, if it's on a 'separate and narrower frequency band' to download, does this mean i could request to have it put on the same band and split my download bandwidth? 10/10 would be really cool.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Unfortunately on this occasion, the upload speed being around 1Mbps is the simply due to the capability of your line. The top end of the upload estimate on your line is 1.2Mbps, it's not due to the package you're on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You're not alone with a low upstream speed. When I was with Plusnet I got about 22Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up, I've since moved to BT and get around the same here.
In my case the cause of the low upstream speed is aluminium phone cables, that attenuate the second band of upstream frequency's more than copper cables.

A couple of things I've discovered, over the years, which can improve my upstream speed:
a) I can often get a higher upstream speed (2Mbps) if I re-sync in the evening as opposed to during daylight hours (1.6Mbps).
b) A BT Mk2 socket give me a slightly better upstream sync than a MK3 socket.
You can get these from ebay.

You can check the speed others are getting in your area to confirm you're not alone with the problem.
http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=maps&utm_cont...

yada
Hooked

Cheers for clarifying that it's the top end of the line. It might not bother me as much now ^^ However, on that link that npr posted, after clicking 'FIBRE FTTC/Cable speeds (estimate)', there is a green dot not a hundred metres away. Does this mean there is a cabinet that would give me an excellent connection if only FTTC were enabled on it? If so, is it possible to get this done? Who's ear do i have to nag? Wink
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I think the green dots signify where speed tests gave over 24Mbps.