cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any possible way PlusNet can give me a faster upload?

chipples

Is there any possible way PlusNet can give me a faster upload?

When I signed up for Fibre, the postcode checker on Plusnet's site estimated my line speed at about 20 down, 5 up. Upload speeds are very important to us, as my partner is a photographer and has to upload a lot of her work, and I often have to put large files in cloud backup as part of my work. I noticed that the package I was getting was capped at 1.9Mbps, so I asked the lady who sold me the package if I could go on the 80/20 package instead, on the understanding that knew I wouldn't get any more than 20 down still, but would at least be able to get the full upload speed that the line could do, rather than being capped at 1.9, which SUCKS. I was told that they couldn't sell me that package because the system wouldn't allow them to sell packages faster than the customer's line could support.
However, I was chatting to the Openreach engineer who came to install my fibre, and he mentioned that PlusNet should be able to at least put me on a 40/10 package. I've also since learned that the package I have, used to have a 20Mbps upload speed, but this got reduced at any point.
BT's line checker seems to think that this line could do at least a *bit* better on the upload if it wasn't capped, and it seems like a 40/10 package could benefit us on both the downlink and uplink:

So... does anyone know, if there's any way Plusnet could allow/give us a better upload speed? We are happy to pay a bit more for a faster upload! Working with 1.9 is a nightmare for us.
12 REPLIES 12
chipples

Re: Is there any possible way PlusNet can give me a faster upload?

So I just spoke to CS and was told that the system won't let them upgrade me to the fibre extra package because of the line speed.
Can anyone from PlusNet comment on whether this could be manually overriden? I understand that as I'm only getting 20 down on the 38/1.9 package, I'm not going to get anything more out of my downlink on the 76/20 package, but I'm happy to pay the extra fiver a month to get uploads that are even a little bit faster.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet don't want customers like you it appears - there's a lot of other ISPs who will give you 40/10.
When did you place your order?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chipples

Crazy, isn't it. Not often you come across a company who refuses to take extra money that you're quite happy to give them. Even if they can't put me on a 40/10, which I can understand if it's not one of their available products, I'd be happy enough with the 80/20. I suspect it's something that could be done, I'm just running into a case of 'computer says no'.
I've been with them a bit over a month, order was placed on the 11th July. If I'd have known this was going to be a problem I would have tried to get it resolved in the 1st month and gone with another ISP, but I was too busy moving house!
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you also paying Plusnet for line rental, if so was your order placed before the cost of line rental went up and when did you receive the notice of the line rental increase? If it was within the last 30 days you can cancel penalty free.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
axlstod
Grafter

came across this a few days ago so there must be a way.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143035.0.html
chipples

That's interesting, thank you. So, it can be done!
I'll have to check about the line rental thing, but I've not been aware of any changes. I'd rather not cancel as I'm a part time student with the OU and being without internet for any amount of time impacts on that.
Is there anything particular you have to do to get plusnet staff to reply to threads in here?
adie:quote
deathtrap
Grafter

Why they do not just sell the BT 40/10 Product instead of the 40/2 i do not know, why have they copied TT Huh Are they in a race with them to the bottom or something ? and the 40/10 product is something thet Plusnet could provide if they wanted to do that BT isn't stopping them from doing that,
Most other providers sell  both 40/10 and 80/20 FTTC products
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: deathtrap
Why they do not just sell the BT 40/10 Product instead of the 40/2

Because it is a cost cutting exercise. PN assume that the majority of customers are only interested in download speed so put them on 40/2. They are willing to lose the relatively few that don't like the slower upload speed. They should offer a 40/10 option, and if they won't do that, at least allow customers to upgrade to 80/20 (even when their download estimate is less than 40).
Instead, PN choose to be inflexible, and will lose some customers because of it. This is offset by the majority of customers that don't know (or don't care) that their upload is capped at 2Mbps.
A race to the bottom? It certainly seems like that.
Incidentally, I am on the 40/20 product, but the moment my only option is to go on the 40/2 product, is the moment I leave Plusnet.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

I'm confused after reading this thread, as I upgraded to PN Fibre about 3 weeks ago and get 38mbps down and 10mbps up.  But from reading the comments above there is no 40/10 package?
Not that I'm complaining, just puzzled!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You will be on the 80/20 product
shure
Grafter

This is not the first thread I've read about this.
It seems a very strange stance for PN to take.  If they are throttling the speeds because of a pricing strategy, fair enough.  Can't fault them for trying to push people towards the more expensive product.  But by the same token, where customers have expressed an interest in paying more for a better service it should be relatively straightforward for them to remove the throttle even on a test basis to see whether they can provide a) better customer satisfaction and b) improved revenues.  If it doesn't work, they put the throttle back on and no-one loses out.  And at least the customer sees they've tried.  And of course if it does work they get more profit and (most likely) better customer retention.  For pretty much zero cost since all they have to do is adjust a setting in some software (presumably).  I don't understand this seemingly self-defeating policy of refusing to even consider the possibility.  What do PN get out of that?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I agree - it is a baffling stance to take. It seems like they could have their cake and eat it, but instead, they refuse to take more money from customers willing to pay for the faster speed. How many companies do you know that adopt that strategy?