Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an ongoing DNS issue?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Is there an ongoing DNS issue?

For some weeks when surfing, particularly You Tube, but elsewhere, I click on links and instead of connecting, it just hangs.

On Youtube it often appears to switch to the selected page but leaves the previous in place. Sometimes a double tap on the mouse button bring the new page up , sometimes it just does nothing for perhaps 30 seconds or more.

Internet apparently remains connected at reasonable speed.

I am using a PlusNet Hub One.

Could the problem be your DNS (BT's?)? I can't see any way of choosing another DNS on Hub One, prior to Hub One I was able to change my DNS and at times of shaky performance found that changing to Google DNS seemed to help.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Is there an ongoing DNS issue?

Are you using Firefox version 65+? If so, have a look at this link  

I had problems last week when Firefox got automatically updated.

Should be ok now though as YT have altered things their end. Now plays fine on my version of FF.

Otherwise I haven't seen any problems with PN DNS.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can't change then DNS settings on the Hub1.
Setting the DNS servers locally on your device may help prove the issue though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Hi idonno, thanks for your reply. Yes I am using Firefox version 65+, I think you hit the nail on the head, fingers crossed that I am sorted or will be.

Thanks again.

@idonno wrote:

Are you using Firefox version 65+? If so, have a look at this link  

I had problems last week when Firefox got automatically updated.

Should be ok now though as YT have altered things their end. Now plays fine on my version of FF.

Otherwise I haven't seen any problems with PN DNS.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks dvorak, I'll consider that but the post from idonno suggests it's a Firefox issue that they are aware of and has been addressed.

I use Firefox because I like it  and the feel of it, Naturally I have Edge but it feels alien in use. I guess it's what you're used to or become used to. Wondering if I should persevere with Edge?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@danludlow wrote: idonno suggests it's a Firefox issue that they are aware of and has been addressed.

I use Firefox because I like it  and the feel of it,

I'd use Opera Smiley but until I come across an extension that opens up a new tab automatically everytime - instead of using the existing tab - whenever I do a search, Firefox it is. Like you I find FF to be highly customisable. I haven't used a MS version browser in earnest since before Windows 98.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@idonno  I used to use various versions of IE almost exclusively up until perhaps Win 7 but I found it increasingly "left behind" by newer and better developed browsers. I used Google when it first came out as a search engine and never really looked elsewhere. From the start it was better than others I'd tried.

I'm not sure which browser is best now, or which search engine. As I said earlier I think the one you are happiest with you tend to grow with, all software has its foibles and annoyances, but then doesn't everything? If one could "pick and mix" what would your smartphone look like, or your car, indeed everything you use.