Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a training period for Fibre?

FIXED
jkplus2817
Hooked
Fixes: 2

Is there a training period for Fibre?

Hi. I have just today migrated from BT fibre to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. I migrated my phone line to plusnet from BT also at the same time, and I am using the new plusnet router, which as far as I can see is the same model as the homehub 5 that I was using with BT up until yesterday.

With Plusnet I am getting an upstream speed of just 2.5mbps, however with BT I was getting around 18 - 20mbps. Also, my download speed is 50mbps with plusnet, however with BT I got a steady 60mbps. I can live with the download speed, however the very low upload speed is causing me an issue.

I have had a chat with tech support but they say that I need to wait 10 days due to the new line 'training'. They told me to monitor the speed for next 10 days then call back if no improvement.

I read elsewhere on the forums that there is no training time for fibre. As I recall, when I was on BT infinity, my upload speed was 20mbps right away upon installation.

Will waiting for 10 days really help my upload speed?

Thanks a lot.

PS I have taken a screen grab from a line test I did just now on bt wholesale, please see attached screen grab. Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Is there a training period for Fibre?

There is a training period for fibre and it can last around 30 days, the reason you're getting conflicting information is because this training period is a relatively new thing.

That being said your differences in speed don't look like line training and so we've run a few tests our end and it looks like there may be a fault with one of the joints. We've submitted a report to get this fixed and we'll be in touch via your fault ticket on an estimated time for resolution.

Thanks for your patience!

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
jkplus2817
Hooked

Fix

Hi JonoH

My fibre is working great now and I am very happy with PlusNet.

An engineer phoned me today after doing a test on the line, and all is fine. 

My speeds are a steady: 

Downstream: 74.08 Mbps
Upstream: 20 Mbps

I couldn't ask for better. Please mark my ticket as solved. 

Thanks a lot. 

JonoH
Hero

Happy to help! Just let us know if we can ever help again Smiley 

Jono H
jkplus2817
Hooked

Hi JonoH

I have just received a text message from 07903 100400 saying that I need to run a test on my line, and that they will charge me £65 if the fault is at my end!

Please can you let the powers that be know - I HAVE NO FAULT on my line and I don't want to receive anymore text messages like this about being charged £65 for a fault I do not have!

Thank you.

JonoH
Hero

That's been done for you. Sorry about the inconvenience. 

Jono H