Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a training period for Fibre?

FIXED
jkplus2817
Hooked
Fixes: 2

Is there a training period for Fibre?

Hi. I have just today migrated from BT fibre to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. I migrated my phone line to plusnet from BT also at the same time, and I am using the new plusnet router, which as far as I can see is the same model as the homehub 5 that I was using with BT up until yesterday.

With Plusnet I am getting an upstream speed of just 2.5mbps, however with BT I was getting around 18 - 20mbps. Also, my download speed is 50mbps with plusnet, however with BT I got a steady 60mbps. I can live with the download speed, however the very low upload speed is causing me an issue.

I have had a chat with tech support but they say that I need to wait 10 days due to the new line 'training'. They told me to monitor the speed for next 7-10 days then call back if no improvement.

I read elsewhere on the forums that there is no training time for fibre? As I recall, when I was on BT infinity, my upload speed was 20mbps right away upon installation.

Will waiting for 10 days really help my upload speed? 

Thanks a lot.

PS Please find attached a screen grab of line test. Sorry if this double posts, when I edited the previous version to include this screen grab the post vanished. 

9 REPLIES 9
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Is there a training period for Fibre?

Usually not. What are your sync rates?
jkplus2817
Hooked

Thanks for replying. In the hub right now  I see the following:

Downstream: 59.01 Mbps
Upstream: 2.906 Mbps

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

There is no 10 day training period for FTTC.

Plusnet staffer @JonoH (community manager) states there isn't in https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Does-FTTC-really-need-a-10-day-training-period/m-p/152...

Does FTTC to the cabinet actually need a 10 day training period and wouldn't you have least expected the speed to better than it was?

It shouldn't do, ask him to PM me his username and I'll take a look.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jkplus2817
Hooked

Thanks a lot, I have sent pm. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The screengrab just shows the sync speeds you should expect, speed tests can have many variables.

You could try using the BT Router you already have, you just need to enter the username and password for PN.

You could also show us the sync speed and max attainable speeds from the Advanced/Help Desk pages from both routers.

As already mentioned, there is no 10 day training period with fibre, but the more technical details you can share will help get a better diagnosis.

jkplus2817
Hooked

Thanks Mustrum. This is a grab from the plusnet router (please see attached). 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You should be getting higher sync speeds - but is it your internal wiring, or an external problem?

Do you have a filtered Master socket? Have you tried from the hidden test socket if you have?

jkplus2817
Hooked

Fix

...just rebooted the router and now everything is great: 

Downstream: 65.05 Mbps
Upstream: 20 Mbps

Not sure what happened, but I'm not complaining!

Thanks everyone. 

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@SpendLessTime wrote:

There is no 10 day training period for FTTC.

Plusnet staffer @JonoH (community manager) states there isn't in https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Does-FTTC-really-need-a-10-day-training-period/m-p/152...

Does FTTC to the cabinet actually need a 10 day training period and wouldn't you have least expected the speed to better than it was?

Things have changed with our suppliers since that quote, take a look here Smiley 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager