cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a FAQ for Plusnet Fibre broadband?

FIXED
mikcatta
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Is there a FAQ for Plusnet Fibre broadband?

I've tried asking PLusnet on Twitter, but can't get an answer, so HELP, please I would like to know, among other things :-

What physically changes with Fibre, do we need an engineer to install?

Do I need another router/ or will one be supplied?

What upload/download speeds can I expect, is there a minimum guarantee?

If I get Fibre, will the network be there to support it, I don't want to pay just to move the problem further up the line?

23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Is there a FAQ for Plusnet Fibre broadband?

There is no FAQ , AFAIK, but I will try and answer your questions:

If you already have an ADSL service with Plusnet, a change to Fibre should not involve an engineer visit to your property - all changes are to external BT equipment.

You should be supplied with a Fibre-capable router as part of the switch.

Visit this link for availability :https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL - I'm unsure about the minimum guarantee until you are further into the ordering process.

If you have a current problem, it would be a good idea to get that sorted first -what IS the problem?

John
mikcatta
Dabbler

Hi Jab1

Many thanks for the reply.

Iam an existing Plusnet customer on copper. We are experiencing really poor speeds currently (between ~9-13mb/s down & <1mb/s up), I wondered whether the change from copper to Fibre would help, as it is *possibly* poor cable between us and the exchange causing the issue, but that is just my gut feeling.

I live, quite literally a stone's throw from the exchange, in fact if I opened the window I could possibly throw a stone and hit it :), so the length of copper between us *shouldn't* be an issue. So if there is no engineer visit, presumably then the copper run to the exchange wouldn't get replaced?

I have been speaking to one of the Plusnet engineers and it's his opinion that there alot of traffic on the LAN side causing the issue. I have been trying to track down the suspect with Wireshark, but can't see any connections hogging. I have today installed a Draytek router, so hopefully I can see more closely from the router, if there is excess traffic causing an issue.

I am monitoring the ADSL speed using a script running from the Pi every 30 minutes, connected via Ethernet to rule out any wifi issues. Is this normal ?

Time, Down, Up
2020-08-26 16:58:01,10.43,1.12,
2020-08-26 17:28:01,10.80,1.06,
2020-08-26 17:58:01,11.32,1.06,
2020-08-26 18:28:01,11.58,1.08,
2020-08-26 18:58:01,12.36,1.06,
2020-08-26 19:28:01,12.88,1.14,
2020-08-26 19:58:01,11.16,1.06,

2020-08-26 20:28:01,8.98,1.01,

jab1
Legend

@mikcatta I gathered you were a PN ADSL customer from your initial post. If you are that close to the exchange, is there a possibility you are on an 'exchange only' line - i.e one which run directly to you without going through a roadside box?

The line to the exchange wouldn't get replaced even if there was an engineer visit - that type of extreme (and expensive) operation would only happen as an absolute last resort.

Your D/S speed, as reported, does look a little low, but have you used the link I posted to determine your potential 'best' speeds? If you could do that and post a screenshot (redacting any personal data), it would be useful.

John
mikcatta
Dabbler

@jab1  I believe the line goes via a roadside box at the end of our road, probably 50m away, but that is just an educated guess.

Please find attached a screenshot from the website you listed, I have to say I am totally confused as to what it's telling us. I am pretty sure I checked about 6 months ago and was sold by the BT site that FTTC was available, but now I am not so sure.

jab1
Legend

You are correct, @mikcatta , fortunately you are not on an EO line, but it looks as though all the available Fibre ports to that box are full, so it will be a case of continuously checking until the 'waiting list' changes to 'available'.

From that screenshot it also appears that you should be getting close to max line-speed (around 18mB/s).

Is it possible to post a picture of your routers DSL stats - that will tell us what speed is getting to your router, and help us determine if there is any possibility of improvement there. Sorry I have no idea where to find that on a Draytek, I've never used one.

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep @mikcatta 

As you say you are not far from the exchange, it makes it still possible (but less likely) your line length is an issue and it is the quality of the line. As @jab1 says it sounds like you may be connected directly to the exchange, the BT wholesale checker will tell you what cabinet you're connected to. I am not sure what it says if you are not connected to a cabinet - someone will be able to tell us.

Do you notice any noise on the landline? Also I would try disconnecting everything and ideally trying just the router connected to the master socket to see if that makes any difference. Just to rule out a device you may have causing interference and your low speeds.

EDIT: Ok people got there before I finnished my post. So looks like it is not EO line. I would do a noise test and try disconnecting everything you can to rule out a dodgy piece of equipment.

jab1
Legend

@Alex The OP is NOT on an EO line. It would be helpful if we didn't try going down too many avenues of enquiry at once - a methodical structured approach is always best in a situation like this.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@mikcatta 

The BT checker is showing that your download speed has been measured at 18.5 Mbps today. Are you making sure that there is nothing else running whilst you are checking? Try removing your test kit and connect to the router via an Ethernet cable to a computer.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 Good spot - I hadn't noticed the Test Date.

John
mikcatta
Dabbler

Blimey, lots of replies.

Ok, yesterday I did disconnect the phone from the master socket, leaving just the router. There are no "extensions" on this line. This made no difference. Dial tone is currently clear of any noise/crackles.

The speedtests are run from my Pi connected via LAN. I will try again tomorrow with everything off and see if that makes any improvement. We did resort to just one laptop connected yesterday as it was so slow it was causing pain 😢

I might need to hookup the Plusnet router to get the line speeds as iam not fully upto speed with the Draytek.

So, is it possible that there was capacity at the exchange/green box that has now been fully taken up? I thought when I last checked Fibre was available, but now it's not. So, iam really confused and wondering if I dreamt it being available.

Perhaps next time I spot a BT/openreach engineer I can find out whether we are directly connected or go via the green junction box.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@mikcatta 

Apologies if you have done this already, but have you tried putting your landline number into The BT Wholesale Broadband Checker 

When I try my landline, at the top is says (yep with my personal details removed):

Telephone Number [My Number] on Exchange [My Exchange] is served by Cabinet 31

mikcatta
Dabbler

Hi

I did a screenshot of the broadband checker (see earlier post) and just erased the last few digits of my number for anonymity. Is that what you meant?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

The screenshot doesn't quite ring true somehow.

It's difficult to determine the line length without an attenuation figure, but it's obviously not very long at all, so I'd have expected the Max Observed Upstream to be somewhat greater than 0·77Mb/s

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

@mikcatta To take your last reply in sequence:

Your phone-line is not part of the problem - good - one problem solved.

If you could run a BT speed test and the extended one - see https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and post screenshots of the results of both tests, that would also help.

Please don't start changing equipment if yo can avoid it - disconnecting/reconnecting can 'upset' the BT DLM.

It is quite likely that there was capacity in the Fibre box 6 months ago that has now all been utlised - BT will add further capacity at some point, but their ways are hard to follow.

Engineers on the street will not be able to tell you anything about upgrading capacity, I'm afraid - that decision is made higher up the chain of command.

John