cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 76Mb package speed managed

fp
Grafter

Is the 76Mb package speed managed

Is the 76Mb package managed to give lower speeds at peak times? 
Last night at peak times I was downloading from youtube at about half the maximum speed I get at non-peak times.  This morning the same files downloaded at my usual full speed.  Feel like a mug if it is managed: could have paid less for the 38Mb package – unless that is similarly halved at peaked times too. 
9 REPLIES 9
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Is the 76Mb package speed managed

Yes, Plusnet do have Traffic Prioritisation policy
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Suggest read here as it sounds like the same problem and nothing to do with traffic management per se http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135389.0.html
fp
Grafter

My BT speed test indicated 74Mbps, which got me wondering.  Having paid the extra for the extra speed it was a bit disappointing not to get anywhere near it - at the time I want it.  I understand that sometimes there will be congestion, but half of what you have paid for seems ..... misleading, particularly when their is a half speed package cost less.  (Or does this go to quarter speed.).
Have PN stopped posting here?  If not then perhaps they could clarify.
dick:quote
picbits
Rising Star

Your speed isn't throttled, it is prioritised.
If you are streaming video or audio, this is given more priority than downloads in the background.
When you add up the speeds of all your devices you will be operating at full speed unless your exchange is congested (then everyone on that exchange is in the same boat).
You will / should get your full connection speed without restriction.
What issues are you having ?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I can't really add much to the information that has already been provided on this thread. If you could post speed test results, we might be able to advise further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
fp
Grafter

Problem as described: BT speed test 74Mbps.  Download from youtube about 3.7 MB/s last night at peak time.  Same file at non-peak time downloading at full speed 8.7 MB/s.  Question was am I being throttled on certain services at peaks time to the same speed I would get on a cheaper package.  Answer appears to be 'yes', by design - as is everyone else.
DomS – I am not sure what you mean by adding speeds across all devices.  I was just downloading a video from youtube.  Are you saying, for example, that if I had set two downloads off, I would have got 3.7MB/s x 2 ie my usual full speed?  If so then I understand.
(Different types of downloads are throttled to varying degrees at peaks times because of insufficient capacity - prioritised throttling.).
picbits
Rising Star

Here is an example of traffic prioritisation :
Imagine you are downloading a large file - this is the only thing happening on your network. You will get the full speed (say 74Mb/s).
Now stream some video at 10Mb/s (very high rate but this is an example). Your download speed for the above file will drop to 64Mb/s and your video will be given higher priority and get the full 10Mb/s. Add the two together and you are still getting your full 74Mb/s.
The reason PN do this is so things like online gaming and watching video get higher priority than say a download as nobody wants to sit waiting for video to buffer.
When your speed reduces again try going to www.speedtest.net or similar speed test sites and see what speed you're running at.
Also bear in mind that using wireless can hugely affect download speeds, especially when neighbours come home at night and clog up all the available channels !
fp
Grafter

As described, the BT speed test indicated 74Mbps, which gives me 8.7ish MB/s usually.  Youtube video file downloading at about 3.7 MB/s – note downloading the file, not watching.  At non-peak time, same file downloading at 8.7 MB/s.  Wireless switched off.  No other network users.  I was using the full capacity of my 8.7MB/s pipe to download the file, but it was trickling in at 3.7 MB/s.  Could have been limited by youtube's server capacity of course. 
I understand your explanation (thanks) of traffic shaping from PN's viewpoint.  Question is could I have downloaded another file at an additional 3.7MB/s – or surfed the internet without affecting the 3.7 MB/s download speed, since my bandwidth was only half utilised.  Easiest thing is to try, I guess.
picbits
Rising Star

You may have had trouble downloading a second Youtube file at the same rate if they are being clever and limiting the overall bandwidth to your connection. You certainly should have been able to utilise the rest of your available bandwidth for downloading from another site though Smiley
Next time you have the problem, try doing a speedtest and see what happens.