cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Fibre unreliable?

sotonskyblue
Grafter

Is my Fibre unreliable?

Just wondering how reliable my fibre is?
Attached are the BT DSL checker stats from 29th July on top then today below.  Just wondering why the speed estimates have degraded so much? 
Is this due to my connection be unreliable or other external sources?
4 REPLIES 4
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Is my Fibre unreliable?

Those speeds are only estimates and have been reduced probably as more FTTC connections have been added to the cabinet. Are your FTTC speeds OK?
sotonskyblue
Grafter

They vary in evenings when I have tested but then that could be traffic shaping?
Have noticed Roberts Stream Radio has buffered a few times on some internet stations, but that could be the stations.  Would be interesting to see if Plusnet see any issues with the connection or any drops?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
They vary in evenings when I have tested but then that could be traffic shaping?

That's a fairly common misconception as to how problems with traffic management can be perceived.
Everything we'd expect to see in order for that to work correctly for you seems fine from our point of view.
Having looked at the connection logs for the past 7 days that looks fine to so the connection doesn't appear to be dropping either.
I'm wondering if the issue isn't directly related to the connection and might just be due to WiFi interference? This tends to be the case in the evenings when it does happen.
Please take a look at the help page here as there's a few settings that can be altered which may well help get you on a less congested wireless channel and avoid the types off issues you've seen:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It's not uncommon to see BTO cut estimates down, mine when i joined plusnet back in March was 67Mb I synced at 65Mb, everything was fine and remained that way until I got a line fault which knocked my speed down to 57Mb, the line fault was fixed but my speeds never returned back to the 65Mb i was getting, upon checking my estimate on the BTO checker i found that it had been cut down to 38Mb and so even though i had lost 8Mb in sync i was well over the new estimate so nothing done to get the speed back.