Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to move on?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Is it time to move on?

As it's buffering via a wired connection via another router this sounds like an issue on their network

(you've eliminated wifi and the hub 1 as a cause)

Or is it only the TV that buffers?

If it's only the TV then this needs some digging too

Without getting personal, is it content you're watching on Netflix for example?

I totally get the life gets in the way;), but imho there shouldn't be any buffering at all

Hop 10 (92ms) looks a little off, but this can happen from time to time. The other tracert destination pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com might be worth a go too, just to compare the bbc and the think broadband one.

(nothing major is jumping out on that tracert, bar the blip to 92ms)

SUPRAASH
Grafter

hi again buddy

i should be able to sit down and watch something tomorrow but yes i watch netflix and other things on the tv like bbc i player and itv player 

its not just the tv but the tv is where i notice it because its usually when i want to chill and watch something it happens

but the kids complain about the wifi dropping on their mobile phones and xbox lagging like crazy

but since i have made this post on here a few days back the kids havent complained to me

not sure if thats because its not happened or if its just that they are used to it happening now lol

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for clarifying, it helps me to understand the setup Wink

This might sound weird, but the next time you're watching the TV, have a laptop or tablet playing something too (mute the volume though;)). Then if the TV starts to buffer see if the other device is buffering too (the second device may actually force the TV to buffer, but that would help too)

The wifi dropping for the kids is also an issue, but I'd have thought the hub 6 would be able to cope as it has better wifi capabilities compared to the hub1.

Have you turned off Smart Setup on the hub6? - http://192.168.1.254/0000016400/gui/#/smartSetup

(switch to off and click save (upper right)

Do you have both wifi spectrums separated, if not try this - http://192.168.1.254/0000016400/gui/#/advancedWifi/configuration

(again click save)

Also, on the wifi page, add -5 to the 5GHz SSID and save. This way you'll be able to see which device connects to what SSID. The 5GHz is better at short range but the 2.4GHz is better further away from the router.

(even if the kids ain't moaning, doing the above should help in the future - as they shouldn't see any wifi issues)

The other factor is, during the time you're watching TV, are they also streaming content. if they are you could ask them to pause it just to see if the TV (during a buffering session) stops buffering.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing speed problems.

I've added a static IP address on to your account to try to narrow down where the issue may lie.

Could you reboot your router when you next get a chance then let me know how it goes please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@SUPRAASH, sorry if you've been busy.

How have things been going since Wednesday night?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SUPRAASH
Grafter

hi, i tried a few different things over the weekend, seems much better but still freezes and lags now and then (no where near as often)

but i find it worse when streaming anything in high quality.

if i have youtube on and change the quality to 1080p ect...  even youtube buffers now and then but not as bad as before.

netflix seems much better, but i player can still play up.

if it stays like this ill be happy because atleast things are watchable now lol

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for getting back to us, I'm glad to hear your connection is better now.

Would you say the static IP resolved it from Wednesday night, or the steps you took over the weekend?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SUPRAASH
Grafter

i wouldnt say its resolved the issue but i would say its much much better.

when i wanted to watch things in the past it was unwatchabe because it would buffer all the time

it still does it now if i try streaming hi def things but its much better compared to what it was

because i dont watch much tv i cant say for sure how much improvment there is but atleast i can watch some things now where as before it was impossible.

ill try to watch more and see what happens but so far much better

SUPRAASH
Grafter

i must add tho my kids have been away for the weekend so they havent been using the wifi at the same time i have

SUPRAASH
Grafter

i would have thought with the package im on i should be able to stream 1080p perfect with no issues and even 4k as im paying for the highest broadband you do

DS
Seasoned Champion

I think there's still more to this....

I also think the kids being away could be why it's better.

I'm not sure what it is, assuming the TV is connected via an ethernet cable to the router

(I wonder if it's related to some recent reports from other users regarding latency issues - any thoughts on this @Gandalf)

SUPRAASH
Grafter

i can rule out the tv buddy as i was using my projector last night with the firestick Smiley

DS
Seasoned Champion

We can tick that off then Smiley

I'm still struggling to come up with an explanation though!!

(other users have been reporting issues with streaming content and gaming, guess it might not be related, unless your kids are normally gaming when they're home?)

SUPRAASH
Grafter

no mate all the kids do is use their mobile phones, they talk to their friends on whatsapp so its just messaging.

my eldest boy plays xbox but i have a ethernet cable from the router to his xbox and he even complains about lag when playing his games.

i ran a check in cmd during the buffering yesterday even tho it was fixing itself and the numbers were higher but i didnt save the text 

SUPRAASH
Grafter

ok ive just run a speed test on the laptop and then on the firestick

laptop shows

Ping Download Upload
13 ms 51.84 Mb/s 17.27 Mb/s

but firestick is showing

ping =26 , download = 8.68mbps  ,   upload = 13.30 mbps  but the test was all over the place