Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is VDSL Range B (Impacted) Normal?

FIXED
mossywell
Grafter

Is VDSL Range B (Impacted) Normal?

Just curious. After 2 months of terrible speeds (which some of you may have read about), PN are now saying that the problem is resolved. But:

1. It is still about 10 mbps than it was prior to the problem.

2. When I check the line, it says "VDSL Range B (Impacted)".

My view is that there is clearly still a problem (whether or not the current speed is within some predefined range). PN's view is that the problems are resolved. 

Any thoughts (independently of the actual speed)?

10 REPLIES 10
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Is VDSL Range B (Impacted) Normal?

@mossywell wrote:

2. When I check the line, it says "VDSL Range B (Impacted)".

Where are you checking this?

Although I appreciate you think there may still be a problem. Unfortunately we cannot raise a speed fault with our suppliers when the line is testing well within the estimates as it will be bounced back to us advising the speeds are well within the estimated range for your line.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 68.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 73.3 55.5 20 16.9 -- Available -- --
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mossywell
Grafter

I used the URL provided by your own customer services people who use this to "prove" that it is all working: http://dslchecker.bt.com/ However, the same URL also shows an error: VDSL Range B (Impacted). (Please don't say that URL is not reliable, therefore.)

Also, re BT ignoring errors if the speed is OK, I know that not to be true. When on Infinity 2, BT investigated errors if the line test resulted in errors. Moreover, I'm not asking for a speed fault to be investigated, I'm asking for an error to be investigated. Or is it PN's policy to wait until it drops to 15 mpbs again for 2 months and only then raise the fault. Do your DBAs ignore all DB errors until your databases fall flat in the floor, or do they proactively resolve the errors before the users see the errors?

As for "Unfortunately we cannot", this mantra is tiresome. "Can't, can't, can't" should be PN's marketing slogan! I rely on PN to act on my behalf with BT, yet over and over again, it's the same thing: find an excuse not to do anything about it, starting with the word "can't". Where is the "can do" attitude? I have been with Murdoch's lot, BT, the Bearded Aviator's lot and PN and I am very sorry to say that my experience of PN has been by far the worst (and I thought BT were bad!). Why? When it works, it's fine. But my goodness, when things go wrong, you're better off with paper cups and damp string. In all sincerity, I truly regret moving to PN because I feel as if they simply don't care.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's quite often some overlap between the A and B ranges of the estimate. So the speed could quite easily be in both, although probably not in this case considering it's quite near the top of the A range.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just to give the full picture of both Ranges:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 73.3 55.5 20 16.9 -- Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 55 28.3 17.9 7.5 -- Available -- --

In this case the bottom end of the clean range is slightly higher than the top end of the impacted range.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'd not seen your reply yesterday, it may have been flagged by the system as spam so apologies for not providing a more detailed response to this reply yesterday.

@mossywell wrote:

I used the URL provided by your own customer services people who use this to "prove" that it is all working: http://dslchecker.bt.com/ However, the same URL also shows an error: VDSL Range B (Impacted). (Please don't say that URL is not reliable, therefore.)

There seems to be some confusion around the link. That link simply provides estimates for your line.

As per my response yesterday, when testing your line it returns the information provided yesterday:

HarryB wrote:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 68.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

As the test result shows, the sync speed is well within the clean range (Range A) at 68.3Mbps.

@mossywell wrote:

Also, re BT ignoring errors if the speed is OK, I know that not to be true. When on Infinity 2, BT investigated errors if the line test resulted in errors.

I didn't say they would ignore errors if the speed was OK. I simply advised we can't raise a speed fault for speeds that are well within the clean range estimates.

As the test results that I've provided show, the connection passed the test and no fault was found.

@mossywell wrote:
I'm not asking for a speed fault to be investigated, I'm asking for an error to be investigated

Could you elaborate on what error you're asking to be investigated? As we're unable to see what you're referring to.

From your previous post, it sounded as though you were asking for the speeds to be investigated.

@mossywell wrote:
After 2 months of terrible speeds...

1. It is still about 10 mbps (Less?) than it was prior to the problem...

2. When I check the line, it says "VDSL Range B (Impacted)"...

It's not that we don't care.

If your sync speeds are low, we can certainly raise a fault.

If the test fails, we can certainly raise a fault.

If you're completely out of sync, we can certainly raise a fault.

If the connection is dropping excessively, we certainly raise a fault.

However looking at your account, your connection doesn't indicate anything we can raise for you.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mossywell
Grafter

Is "VDSL Range B (Impacted)" normal? It is a simple question that appears to result is much obfuscation. "Yes, is it perfectly normal", or "No it is abnormal and we will investigate it on your behalf". I'd even prefer a brutally honest "no it's not normal but we can't be arsed to look into it because your speed today is tolerable". But what I struggle with is "problem? What problem?"
DangerousDave

@mossywell wrote:
Is "VDSL Range B (Impacted)" normal? It is a simple question that appears to result is much obfuscation. "Yes, is it perfectly normal", or "No it is abnormal and we will investigate it on your behalf". I'd even prefer a brutally honest "no it's not normal but we can't be arsed to look into it because your speed today is tolerable". But what I struggle with is "problem? What problem?"

Your line sync is 68.3Mbps well within Range A for your line and 13Mbps above Range B, what is the issue you are seeing ?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix
@mossywell wrote:
Is "VDSL Range B (Impacted)" normal?

It's perfectly normal for http://dslchecker.bt.com to show the impacted range as it is simply a page to provide estimates for the line. It provides the estimate for the clean range and the impacted range.

Your line seems to be performing within the clean range which is what we would expect.

If your line was in sync below the clean range, we'd look in to what's causing that.

@mossywell wrote:
It is a simple question that appears to result is much obfuscation.

Although it is a seemingly simple question, it was missing vital information.

From your initial post in this thread, it sounded as though you had run a test somewhere which had indicated your line was performing within the impacted range. However after follow up questions, you confirmed you had just been looking at the estimates and seen the estimates for the impacted range.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mossywell
Grafter

Now we're cooking on gas!

(You are right, I hadn't run a test that was showing it within the impacted range. Perhaps a screenshot might have clarified my initial question - my bad.)

Thank you - question answered.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem. Glad we got there eventually Thumbs_Up

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet