cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet Fibre any good?

NovakNgood

Is Plusnet Fibre any good?

Hello,

I'm currently on the ADSL package with Plusnet and I"m looking at my choices once my contract expires in September. I want to upgrade to fibre as I would like to stream to Twitch and ADSL doesn't cut the mustard. I can upgrade my broadband package to either fibre options and get on a new 18 month contract before my current contract expires.

However, I have recently also started to get internet drops. They don't last too long but I have had instances where this has happened up to 5 times in an evening. My laptop is on wifi but my tv and console are on ethernet. I contacted customer services on the 30/4/2018 who checked my line and advised there were no line issues as such. They just slightly adjusted my settings as there may be some automated settings that were effecting the signal to noise ratio that could be causing the issue. However, the issue persists

I have seen forum posts where other customers have also experienced drops on fibre internet. As well as other issues with their supplies. I know if I do decide to move to another provider once my contract is up I still may not get the stable service I want. However, I'm not sure at I want to commit to an 18 month contract if the quality of the fibre BB is potentially questionable. 

Any users experiences or advice would be appreciated. positive as well as negative 

7 REPLIES 7
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Is Plusnet Fibre any good?

First thing to check would be what speeds are potentially available if you upgrade.

Put your phone number in here

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Its not bad it just sometimes takes a while to get faults fixed. But when its running its fine Wink

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

You really need to do what has already been advised, check what speeds you'll get and go from there.

As to fibre itself, I can't really complain. It comes down the wires fast enough and reliability wise I've had 3 problems (all phone line faults) in what, 3 years or so. Compared to the stuttering along at 1.2Mb/s with ADSL there is no way I'd want to go back to it. I would try to get those internet drops sorted first though. Is it phone line or modem, router problem? Whatever you use to connect to the internet (fibre or adsl) if the equipment is no good, you'll get drops.

I've found Plusnet to be good at coming back with line tests if you are experiencing drop outs. i.e. if they show no faults, chances are it's internal. One reason I have held on to my supplied fibre modem/router. It might not be the best thing out there but as a means of isolating a possible fault it works 100%

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
plux
Dabbler

I recently upgraded to their 76mbps package (now advertised at 66mbps) and today was my first day of service.  It's been mostly at 15-20mbps, which isn't even half of the 50mbps that was guaranteed on this package.  Some spikes up to 90mbps, but that lasted for all of a minute.  To sum up: it's no good.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I would question how you are testing if you got 90Mbps!

Too many people seem to come on here with unrealistic expectations, and without checking a few simple facts - use the DSL checker to see what your line is capable of, if you do speed tests, make sure they are from a reliable source, with nothing else using the bandwidth - or other processes on the testing device. 

plux
Dabbler

Step #1: http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Step #2: ethernet

Step #3: it only lasted a little while

Step #4: it was 89.something and I rounded up.

This isn't my first rodeo.  I know how to isolate what may be slowing down speeds.  The guarantee I got was no guarantee.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@idonno wrote:

You really need to do what has already been advised, check what speeds you'll get and go from there.

I would try to get those internet drops sorted first though..

I'd advise that you check the speeds and see if it's worth an upgrade, but when it came to upgrading I'd do the testys but if it got to engineer territory I'd just upgrade if I was going to do so anyway. New Kit, new connection type it's likely to resolve your issues and if it doesn't you're in no worse a position.

However regardless of what you decide to do we'd really like to help with your drops!  are they over a wired or wireless connection?

@plux wrote:

I recently upgraded to their 76mbps package (now advertised at 66mbps) and today was my first day of service.  It's been mostly at 15-20mbps, which isn't even half of the 50mbps that was guaranteed on this package.  

Hi can you create a new thread we'd love to help you and get that speed up Smiley 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager