Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iplayer buffering

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Iplayer buffering

Since i started to watch Iplayer this evening (around 9pm), i am getting buffering every few mins , my speeds are checking out fine (70mb)  and other streams are working as expected.
Anyone else having problems with iplayer tonight? , maybe the release of IOS 9 is a factor
Kind regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

17 REPLIES 17
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Iplayer buffering

This is just one of the reasons we moved away from Plusnet, constant streaming issues with the BBC, I´m not Implying that it was Plusnets fault... but we sure don´t get anywhere near the amount of spinning circles of doom (the bad stream would never recover, but now it does) now we are on BT. And yes we are still using the same equipment that we had from plusnet ¨2704n+HG612¨ we never had this problem with youtube either just for the reference. One other point, the streams that wouldn´t recover would work ok after moving to another title then moving back to the previous title.
Alucidnation
Rising Star

So how would BT be better than Plusnet, especially when they would both be connected to BTW?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Kitz explained it on one of the threads (cannot remember which) but basically BT used dedicated services while Plusnet share their services with other non BT owned ISPS. So BT Retail and Plusnet do not share infrastructure. Hence the different results.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Of course the Plusnet gateways, Plusnet core network, traffic management, perhaps any content delivery network caches, peering / transit providers will be specific to Plusnet (although a lot of Plusnet traffic now goes via BT Global Services).
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Quote from: georgelnx
Kitz explained it on one of the threads (cannot remember which) but basically BT used dedicated services while Plusnet share their services with other non BT owned ISPS. So BT Retail and Plusnet do not share infrastructure. Hence the different results.

Interesting, i didnt know that.
So basically, BT FBB or Sky LLU FBB woudln't have the same "issues" that are experienced with PN?
AndyH
Grafter

Even though it's marketed as a a 'shared' product, she has no idea about the actual BTw network topology and build. There are also so many different factors other than the backhaul that it's just not possible to attribute one factor as the difference between the two ISPs.
I never have issues with iPlayer, however Youtube is hit/miss sometimes for me (as it seems to be no matter which ISP I use).
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

funnily enough since i bought my asus router , i dont have any problems with buffering on Utube or any other online TV but i still get it on BBC Iplayer Huh
So is this down to BBC player or the way in which PN network connect to BBC ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
SpendLessTime
Hero

I was trying to keep it simple as I'm not involved in the supply of mass telecommunications and do not know all the ins and outs.
But there are differences between how Plusnet and BT Retail supply their services. So the original comment "BT and Plusnet are the same therefore there can be no service issues only on one of them" is blatantly incorrect.
And I do suffer from real world iplayer issues when on the wrong gateway as per the capacity issues threads.
I'm happy that others have no issues but to say rubbish like Plusnet is BT and therefore they work in the same way is just plain wrong.
AndyH
Grafter

but to say rubbish like Plusnet is BT and therefore they work in the same way is just plain wrong.

Not sure who said that?  Huh
A big difference is how the iPlayer content is delivered. I believe Sky and BT have their own content delivery system for BBC iPlayer, where as Plusnet are reliant on Akamai/Level3/Limelight/AKOS (unless this has changed recently).
It might be worth trying different DNS to see if that makes any difference.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Update: The next morning iplayer has continued to work fine.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Quote from: AndyH

Not sure who said that?  Huh

Alucidnation said "So how would BT be better than Plusnet, especially when they would both be connected to BTW?"  

But this topic is drifting off course, and IT Works is happy today so let's hope it was a one off for him.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Andy your comments are defamatory.  My information comes from BTwholesale.  For the past 12 years I have had contacts within BT wholesale and I have always put information up on the main site.
I was the very first person in the UK to be able to publicly issue information about the VP backhauls and core. Both Openreach and BT Wholesale are fully aware of my site and its content. In fact it was BT's CEO that encouraged some of the content and arranged personal visits of BT equipment.  He made specific people from Openreach and BT wholesale backhaul services available to me for answering of any questions.  Ive been allowed to shadow OR frames engineers and field engineers.  I've received 'red carpet' treatment on numerous visits and the OK to publish information.
You said I was wrong about G.INP, so I go to the very top of BT Openreach and get someone to put their name to information that I had. That information can be seen here  None of the information I gave out was wrong. You just sat here dissing users saying that Openreach equipment was G.INP compatible when it wasnt, telling users who lost 10Mb of speed and had there latency doubled that it wasn't impacting their service.  It was only when I told Bob Pullen about the HH5A issue and he provided proof that there was a problem with some modems that you had to back down.
On the otherside of the coin, I was doing my utmost to communicate direct with both Openreach and certain router manufacturers to get a solution.  I was also the first to suggest way back in February that if PN were denying an issue with their capacity, then the other point of failure could be the BTw MSILs.
You on the other hand sit on this forum and spout rubbish like BTretail use WBC.  If you knew the slightest thing about BTwholesales network you would understand just how ridiculous that statement is.  WBC is when an SP uses something other than the BT Core for transit.  You only have to look at a tracert from anyone who uses BT retails services to quite clearly see that they use the BT Core and cannot be using WBC.  You also werent even aware of BT WBMC Dedicated which is offered by BTWholesale for large SPs.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
Andy your comments are defamatory.

You're more than welcome to take legal action against me, if you feel defamed. I wish you all the best with that.
Quote from: kitz
My information comes from BTwholesale.   For the past 12 years I have had contacts within BT wholesale and I have always put information up on the main site.

That's great for you, but your information clearly isn't up to date. Perhaps you should go back to your contacts for more up-to-date information.
chrcoluk
Grafter

The only isp I am aware of that use's WBC is entanet, I think they use global crossing for their backhaul.