cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interruptions and now very slow speeds

molszewski
Grafter

Interruptions and now very slow speeds

Hi, over last few days I've been getting very frequent interruptions in connectivity - like every few minutes. Got to a point where I couldn't browse a website because the page wouldn't fully load before connection cuts out. Today I have disconnected and powered off all the modems, routers and all connected devices. After reconnecting them the interruptions so far seemed to have gone away but the speed is slow. I've run multiple speed checkers and all show same results: Download 2 Mbps and Upload 8Mbps. I had the same issue with slow speeds last year and it turned out that I was for some unknown reason I was put on a wrong profile. After the error was corrected the speeds were back to normal.

Can someone from Plusnet support can check what the issue might be.

10 REPLIES 10
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Interruptions and now very slow speeds

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your having speed/connection problems.

First off, looking at the connection from the exchange to your router, things don't look great...

My tests show a loop on the line, which is basically a short circuit on the line. This could be a faulty piece of equipment or something breaking the loop such as something going through the line.

Ideally, I'd like to re-test your line with your equipment disconnected from the master socket.

If that isn't possible, and if you're still using the Openreach modem, and router combination, my advice would be to plug a laptop or PC directly into the LAN1 port of the modem and setup a PPPoE connection.

This is a handy guide that will explain how to do that: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Fibre-help-How-to-set-up-a-PPPoE-dialler-in-Vista-Windows-7/ba...

Further to that, if you have a microfilter, you could try plugging the Openreach modem into the test socket as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how you get on with the checks, and if it's possible to disconnect your equipment for a short while, let me know and I'll retest.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
molszewski
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. Today my connection is completely gone. After reading your post I called plusnet support but the guy just said that the fault has been logged and he cannot do anything about it and I just should wait for a phone call from plusnet. He couldn't when it will happen. Is it likely to be something on my side that is faulty like the router or modem or is it something to do with the phoneline before the house?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm not sure why you were advised that, a fault has not been logged. I've passed feedback on to the adviser.

This is the line test result we're getting:

Test Result: Fail - Fault located at customer apparatus (appointment required)
Description: FAULT - Loop (Rectified)

That doesn't mean the issue is 100% with your equipment, but the checks I've explained above should help determine if that is the case or if we should arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
molszewski
Grafter

Hi, so what shall I do now?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Have you been through the checks Anoush advised of?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
molszewski
Grafter

I've tried setting the connection directly through the openreach modem and it will not connect. I used the broadband username @plusdsl.net and my password to the online plusnet account. There is a message saying 'connection failed with error 651' and ' the modem has reported an error '.

I also tried with the dsl filter and that doesn't work.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear the checks haven't helped.

My tests are still detecting the same issue.

Any chance of disconnecting all equipment from the master socket so I can re-test?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
molszewski
Grafter

Hi, I've disconnected the modem and router yesterday so if you done the testing today then it was with the equipment unplugged. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

In that case we'd recommend reporting a fault here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've raised a ticket on your account instead that you can reply to, so that we can arrange an engineer. The link that Matt supplied will raise a broadband fault ticket. As the phone line is testing faulty we need to book a line engineer instead.

You can view the ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=152800156

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet