cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet unusable at some points throughout the day

Seantaylorphoto

Internet unusable at some points throughout the day

On 'Unlimited Fibre', whatever that means. Trying to find out exactly what that gets me but my goodness is the internet slow. Okay, it supposedly gets me between 35-40mbs download speeds. Speedtest.net gives me 20ms Ping, ~35mbs down, ~8mbs up.

So - throughout the day, admittedly usually during peak times, sometimes the internet is effectively unusable - pretty much any google service times out - e.g. unable to use Google maps, instagram and facebook time out. Unable to use Google Docs due to the unstable internet connection. Ping in games becomes too high to continue. Our google home mini times out and doesn't respond. Doesn't matter if I'm on wired or wireless. Have tried changing DNS servers to Google's, nothing.

I'm frankly getting tired of it, and it's even more infuriating when your 'live chat' with plusnet gets disconnected due to their own internet cutting in and out. As it stands right now I have 5 tabs on my browser open - Plusnet and speedtest are two, the other are timed out attempts at using Google search and YouTube.

Surely this isn't throttling, or peak usage, or some other issue that can be explained away like this is supposed to be happening. Plusnet was fine for the first few months in our flat and now for some reason it's just terrible. Sometimes it's actually better to tether from 4g if I really need to get something done.

What gives?

1 REPLY 1
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Internet unusable at some points throughout the day

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to see you're having connection issues. I've tested your line today and I can see your router in sync at a line speed of 40mbps with no drops over the past 63 days or congestion seen at the exchange.

With that in mind I'd recommend firstly rebooting your router as this can solve a lot of issues. If you're still experiencing problems, could you confirm if your devices are connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and I'd recommend trying the steps Here.

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, as our testing hasn't identified any issues with your service to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation. Once you have completed this, please report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've completed it and we'll make sure it is picked up as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet