cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet unstable when connected via MK4 filter faceplate - OK when using test socket

FIXED
Sheddyian
Grafter

Internet unstable when connected via MK4 filter faceplate - OK when using test socket

A curious fault. In summary, when router is connected via the MK4 filter faceplate, it is unstable and loses synch. When plugged into the test socket via a microfilter, it is very stable. There are no extension sockets and no other wiring except this master socket!

On 20-10-2021 I reported a fault here (https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/My-broadband-connection-has-been-dropping-and-resynch... ) that my internet was unstable, having previously been OK.

It was suggested I plug the router into the test socket to eliminate wiring issues.  There is no other wiring but I did this anyway.

Surprisingly, this fixed the problem!  

As of yesterday, I'd had 64 days without loss of synch and all was stable, indeed between November and now, it has been good with dropouts being rare.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to put the MK4 faceplate back on. The router was plugged into the router socket. I did not connect a telephone handset. There is no other telephone wiring or extension sockets.

In the evening, a zoom call was very stuttery.  Later that evening, the router lost its connection and resynched.

This morning I noticed that it had done so at least one more time overnight, and the upload speed (usually around 7500) was 1189.

So it would seem that refitting the MK4 faceplate has made the connection unstable.  The faceplate looks OK, it's not obviously damaged and I can't see any corrosion on the contacts.  And, to stress once more, there's no internal phone wiring except this one master socket.

I'm now back on the microfilter plugged into the test socket, which has restored the lost speed.

Does Openreach need to come out and fit a new faceplate, or can a replacement be sent, or?

Many thanks

Ian

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Internet unstable when connected via MK4 filter faceplate - OK when using test socket

@Sheddyian Sounds like the Mk4 is defective. Is it a clip-on or screwed one? Either way, they are cheap to buy online, no need for any engineer visits.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

Re: Internet unstable when connected via MK4 filter faceplate - OK when using test socket

Fix

@jab1

the MK4 is the one that clips in.

@Sheddyian 

The issue with the MK4 is that connection to the main part of the Master Socket 5c, the connections might not make fully and create noise on the phone line which results in a slow connection.  One cause can be the Master Socket has been over screwed into the back box, this results in the case being distorted thus preventing the clips to hold the face plate tight.

There is in most cases no advantage in using the MK4 over the in line microfilter dongle, so you could leave as is if you want.

Dan

Sheddyian
Grafter

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I did a search and found others reporting issues when using the MK4 filter faceplate, so I may well leave it out.  I will check the screws holding it to the back box tho.

I've got a couple of BT plug to RJ11 leads, I might try those later and see if they're compatible, that then removes all filters from the line - I'm not using the telephone handset.