cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet stops working well downloading.

adam1240
Grafter

Internet stops working well downloading.

Hello, plusnet, i'm extremely frustrated with the current issue I've been facing.
Here' what i'm currently experiencing.
Well i'm downloading games from steam/origins or any where else, my internet start's to completely stop working after about 10mins which sorts it out by resetting the router then if I download again it happens again.
is anyone else experiencing this?
P.S i'm also using a powerplug / ethernet through power socket adapter (Basically my internet goes from Ethernet through electric to my bedroom adapter since i get no good WIFI in my room.
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Internet stops working well downloading.

Do all devices connected to the router stop working at the same time or just those connected via the homeplugs?
When did this issue start, was it today or has it been happening for a while?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adam1240
Grafter

I think everyone, two lights on router start flashing hard, one of the last is the last one and the 2nd from top, sorry don't know the name's. have to restart it to fix it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Next time this happens can you try just unplugging the homeplugs and then plugging them back in after 30 seconds, leave the router connected and powered up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adam1240
Grafter

Done that, seem's like it wasn't the cause.
Further information i used a power line adapter before, and downloaded just fine on them.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

It would be useful to know what the two flashing LEDs represent - 2 LAN ports, LAN and WAN etc - and what's connected at the time (if LAN, WAN or Wireless).
You can get an effect as you describe by plugging a cable into two ports of a simple switch as it tries to send the MAC routing table to update itself (in both directions) Shocked Shocked Roll_eyes
Silly Qn: you haven't put it a convenient position on a radiator perchance Wink - alternatively, could there be a cooling problem?
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
adam1240
Grafter

I will forward the actual flashing lights when it happens again, atm i'm download Far Cry 4 on Uplay at 4 - 5MB/S not one single disconnect, but if it's Steam/Origins it normally disconnects?

The router is above a Radiator but it happened even before we turned the heating on, and the radiator not affecting the router in anyway.

Also the Wifi Signal is really bad on the router in terms off upstairs, my bedroom is just one stair away from the router downstairs, and i get really hardly any signal and connect is cut by 50%
adam1240
Grafter

Now my internet randomly stop's working for 5minute's every so often what's going on plusnet? i can't even do the thing's i want too because off the unreliable internet connection.
Update crashed yet again, so made a video after i reset the router and everything's back up, but i didn't even download at all today and it's been doing it, my Mum's Wifi goes off too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTcUCnPVj5k&feature=youtu.be
12sec video of my router.
Another Update i forgot to mention!
The internet doesin't go completely off like it says "No Internet connection" I still have internet but it's 20 - 150KB/s so internet still working but it slows down by ALOT for 5mins + or until i reset the router,
I need help asap as it's happening alot, and i'm not happy. I get very little free time to go on my PC and this is happening i can't even play my games online.