Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speeds decreased and intermittent disconnects

FIXED
kw1
Dabbler

Internet speeds decreased and intermittent disconnects

Hi, 

Please can you check my line - since I had Openreach out to check the line and replace the faceplace all was well to start with, but my speed has gradually reduced over time since then. Until I started having issues a couple of months ago I had a solid 10mb up, but since then it has reduced to 6 at best. With working from home etc. that little bit of speed really helps and I'm missing it.

(The download spead has dropped from what used to be about 60 to 40ish - still ok, but not as good as it used to be.)

Also over the last few weeks the router has been randomly disconnecting - I know in the past you've got a tool which shows this?

Looking at the router logs these are usually overnight, but when it's during the day it's problematic.

Also also since the start of the Olympics we're using iPlayer much more - which does seem to just stop working, sometimes after an hour into the stream, sometimes every few minutes, and my wife is getting frustrated.

I thought the previous fault had been resolved, but I'm starting to wonder if there's still something wrong with the line?

K

6 REPLIES 6
kw1
Dabbler

Re: Internet speeds decreased and intermittent disconnects

(Previous issue was at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Good-sync-speed-poor-actual-speed/m-p/1807450/highligh...

To add to this, I've just had to switch out the hub with an old one (luckily I've kept hold of it) as the internet died completly - not even the flashing broadband light on the hub, it was just the power light flashing orange.

I'm still suspicius of the line - I noticed that my alarm panel reported a line fault, although at this time there was nothing in the hub logs.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Fix

Hi @kw1, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to see you're having further connection issues as of recent and currently the speeds you're seeing are lower than previously. I can confirm when looking over your connection and shown by the graph below that the number of drops we've seen recently certainly hint there's something out of place somewhere.

When testing your connection from this side currently we're detecting an underlying fault which very well could be behind the impacted performance and speeds we're seeing. In which case, I've raised the fault with our suppliers so this issue can be looked into further and I've placed a fault ticket on the account so we can check back after the next few days to see if the fault we've raised on our suppliers side has been resolved.

The fault ticket I've raised can be seen here:
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=216581956

By all means, if you're still seeing the connection and speed issues after 72 hours and haven't heard from our faults team then please do give us a nudge on here and we'll happily dive into this further looking for updates for you. My apologies for any further inconvenience this fault may be causing in the meantime.

kw1
Dabbler

Hi, Openreach did fix a line fault yesterday, which I suspect has still been dodgy since the last visit in May (well getting worse slowly - there's a junction box just outside the house which I think is where the issue is).

So the internet for the last 18 hours has been much better. Still some issues with iPlayer, but it's really hard to tell if that's the TV / powerline link / internet or iPlayer itself...

The line speed is now back to what I was used to a year or so ago - 50+ down, 11 up. however actual throughput is 34 down and 10 up still. 

Can you prod your end again to reset the profile please?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @kw1,

I've had a look into this today and following a couple of tests I can see that the line isn't currently banded/set to the wrong profile. It also appears the signal is reaching the router at a rate of 53.9Mbps right now, so I was just wondering if you'd been able to test the line since earlier on today? When you're testing the line, are you doing this via Wi-Fi or on a device connected to the router with an Ethernet cable?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
kw1
Dabbler

Thanks for checking - I always run the speed tests directly connected (and with the laptop as the only device connected...)

I've just run it again (however I can't disconnect everyone at the moment) and I've noticed in Chrome that the result is 46 down, and in Safari it's 72 down...

It does seem, however, that the connection is (touch wood) stable now so I think all is good for the moment. Will try and work out why my raspberry pi is still logging only 35 in its hourly tests...

Thanks again for your help!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

No worries @kw1, just let us know how things go and we'll be happy to help should any further problems arise.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team