Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed getting slower over time and now below minimum guaranteed

alaxton
Grafter

Internet speed getting slower over time and now below minimum guaranteed

So our Plusnet fibre service has been gradually getting slower and slower

We got it earlier this year, estimation was 73-80 with a minimum 65

when the service went live, we were getting in the region of 72/19.5 which was great

now we are down to a sync of 62.80 down and 14.72 up using the BT Wholesale speedtest, using a wired connection.

And from a download point of view, it's 60Mbit or 7.5MB/s at the most and i can be as low as 5.5mb/s

Nothing has changed with the equipment, it's still the same combo since my service went live, both ADSL2 and now the FTTC service.

as it's 1am, no one else in the house is up when i am testing this.

Is there anything that can be looked at via the forum or should i just raise a fault ticket?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Internet speed getting slower over time and now below minimum guaranteed

Thanks for reaching out @alaxton 

I'm sorry to see your speeds have been dropping.

I've tested your line and it looks like your sync rate has since increased to 68mbps which is now just above your minimum guaranteed speed although it's below the speed estimates we originally gave you upon upgrading.

I've also checked the current estimates of your line Here and they've dropped to a minimum estimate of 56.6mbps, but this doesn't mean your minimum guaranteed speed has changed as that's just used for contract termination purposes.

While normally we wouldn't be able to progress a fault if your speeds are within the current estimates of your line, our tests are picking up on radio frequency interference(RFI) so I'd be happy to arrange an engineer to investigate further.

Having said that I think it'd be a good idea to go through the troubleshooting steps first Here to rule out any internal wiring which may be affecting your connection. Also as RFI can be caused by internal equipment as much as external, it's probably worth checking there's no wireless devices, cordless phone etc or a microwave near the router.

If you've checked all the above, I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault to us. If you can nudge us over here, we'll be happy to pick it back up and progress the fault to a stage where we can book an appointment.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alaxton
Grafter

Hi, thanks for coming back to me

I now have it connected directly to the test socket

Unfortunately being a new build house, the Master 5c socket is in the hallway, which is as much use as a chocolate teapot!

We seem to be getting around 68 down and 14 up

Are you still seeing RFI issues?

Thanks

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @alaxton,

Thanks for getting in touch, I have tested your line and your speeds are showing back with estimates at our side. However the connection is still dropping more than we would expect and it is this that we would need to investigate further.  As the connection is still dropping while connected to the test socket, we will need to raise this with our supplier and possibly an engineer appointment.

Please can you raise a fault here, and let us know when you have completed it so that we can pick this up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
alaxton
Grafter

Hi Sammy, i've raised a support ticket as requested

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @alaxton.

I've picked that up for you and I'll update you as soon as we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team