cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet randomly disconnecting everyday

FIXED
mjlacey74

Internet randomly disconnecting everyday

So to further elaborate, our internet here every single day (sometimes twice) will just randomly drop connection to internet. The hub itself is working fine, I've done a line test and I've checked over all the hardware, nothing seems to be wrong. However we keep having this happen everyday since changing over to plusnet from sky on 11/9/18. When its connected and working its absolutely fine and there doesn't seem to be any triggers for the drop in connection but I'm having to log back in via the hub manager each time. Pretty sure there isn't any work going on in my area have double checked the service status many times just to be sure.

Thoughts?

20 REPLIES 20
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Internet randomly disconnecting everyday

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

From what I can see your account wasn't fully setup correctly, so I've done this now which has likely triggered another activation email(With a slightly different wording).

Could you factory reset your router by pushing a paperclip into the reset hole at the back for 20 seconds letting us know how it goes and if you continue to experience problems afterwards?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mjlacey74

thankyou. Since resetting it has happened again this morning. I'm going to monitor if its happening like before.

SteveH7
Hooked

apologies for jumping into your thread but I have exactly the same problem, randomly my session closes due to an error and then it reconnects. the latest on my plusnet ticket from tech support is that my connection looks 'stable enough' even though they attached the disconnect image... might be connected to your fault.?Huh
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Fix

Hi @mjlacey74 , sorry to hear you're having connection issues. Checking the account this side I can see the router had a fair bit of trouble trying to authenticate this morning (pull details from our side to establish the connection) and due to the many attempts I can't really view before this morning in terms of looking at your dropping connection on a larger scale. There doesn't look to be anything out of place when testing your line/connection.
It looks as though the router attempted to authenticate with the default details that come with the router when initially ordered this morning therefor can I ask;

Do you turn the router off overnight/for long period at all?
Do you factory reset the router at all?

I've refreshed the authentication component this side also to rule that out. Let us know how it's looking moving forwards and if you could answer the above that may narrow down the cause.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @SteveH7, sorry to hear you're having connection issues and welcome to the Community Forums.

Having checked into your connection I can certainly see enough drops on your line for it to be causing concern and due to us seeing more than 3 drops over the space of 24 hours in the last few days it's certain something we could raise with our suppliers for further investigation if need be.
(No signs of errors or faults found when testing GEA)
image15375429255644

The connection is certainly looking better over this last 24 hours so I'd advise keeping an eye on the connection and if you notice the intermittent drops moving forwards to follow the steps below to begin ruling a few things out before we can look at raising a fault with our suppliers. 

I'd suggest if you haven't already to follow the steps in order to rule out a few of the basic causes it could be here

And if the issue persists the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

Let us know if the drops persist in the test socket.

mjlacey74

I've never turned it off for any long periods. we did have a power cut a couple of days ago but the issue was happening before then anyways. I have done a factory reset yesterday (20/9/18) from what Gandalf suggested. I'll keep you posted and thank you both for your help.

Brixlon

Hi Ben

We’re having similar issues as mjlacey74. We received fibre just a few weeks ago, but we find it regularly drops out. Can you help at all?

Thanks

Robbie74

Hi mijlacey74

I am having exactly the same issue as you and Brixlon I also joined plusnet on the same day, I was also told that my account was set up wrong, and it was resolved, Two calls later and it’s stilll unresolved. Apparently it could be congestion at the exchange!!!!  I’m awaiting for an Openreach engineer to call? If I hear anymore I will give an update? 

VeniVidiFugi
Dabbler

I’m crashing yet another thread because my own don’t get answered - I’m having the exact same problems for the last month.
stuz10k
Dabbler

Not to also hi-jack the thread, however I had very similar issues going back to March this year, since mid-August I purchased a cheap cheerful TP Link router/modem and I've had no disconnects at the usual 2000/2200pm hours. 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Disconnects-at-roughly-same-time-every-day/m-p/1553734...

VeniVidiFugi
Dabbler

I had a cheap TP Link modem/router, when this problem happened I changed to a more expensive TP Link modem/router, to get a clear 5ghz band to rule out WiFi. It made no difference whatsoever. Following advice on another thread, I changed to Google’s DNS. It made no difference whatsoever. Since it is impossible to contact customer services, the next step is to seek legal advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VeniVidiFugi - Before you go down that route it may be to your advantage to start your own thread as regards the issue(s) you are experiencing as your comments may be getting lost in the cross talk of another user's posts.

VeniVidiFugi
Dabbler

Like this one? Notice how it’s got lost in the list of similar threads, and the only replies I get is hijacking others. The question on my account has gone unanswered for more than a week. https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Stale-session/td-p/1572421
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes very much like that one! Oops, I used the "Latest Post by @VeniVidiFugi" to see what you'd posted and with only seeing 5 entries I made an incorrect assumption, when I should have expanded the list. So my apologies for that.