cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet may not be available, but VPN works?

Liamh
Dabbler

Re: Internet may not be available, but VPN works?

I've just been on chat, and they told me that the fault I raised was closed with the advice to tell you when the issue reoccurs so you can get the logs. And they said that I needed to do that on this community....which seems a bit odd TBH.
Anyway, can you arrange for the logs to be exported before I reboot (can't use the DNS change on all the smart TVs and a reboot fixes it for a while)
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Liamh,

Apologies regarding my colleague's previous post, @MisterW is correct.

I am afraid we would not be able to provide the logs however this can be retrieved from the 'Event Log' on the router admin page.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Liamh
Dabbler

Ok, so how do I export the full log and who do I send it to?
The person on chat said I had to ask on here...
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Liamh,

As long as all the information is included, a screenshot should be sufficient.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Liamh
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ , I'm not keen on posting log info in a public forum, so I've sent you the info in a private message. I've got a txt file I can send if you let me have an email address.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I may be wrong here but I didnt think the normal event log provided the level of detail needed to analyse the problem. It was suggested on this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-DNS-not-working/td-p/1610546 by @bobpullen that a wireshark capture may be more useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Liamh
Dabbler

@Liamh wrote:
Hi @TheMightyAJ , I'm not keen on posting log info in a public forum, so I've sent you the info in a private message. I've got a txt file I can send if you let me have an email address.

Hi @TheMightyAJ, has anyone looked at the logs I sent? I'm still getting DNS issues every couple of days and having to reboot the router. 

Another issue I've noticed that might be related is that when there are DNS issues, the restart button on top of the router doesn't work, and I have to use the toggle button at the back to reboot.....

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Liamh,

Thanks for getting back in touch and I apologise for the delayed response. After speaking to a couple of different colleagues we believe there's two potential resolutions that could be implemented on your end of things. The first suggestion would be to change the DNS on all of your different devices, which I'll admit isn't ideal. The second suggestion would be to use an alternate 3rd party router instead of the current one and then setting up google's DNS on it. Do you have an alternate router that you could use to do this?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Liamh
Dabbler

Thanks, option 1 isn't viable for all of my devices as I don't have admin access to some work devices. Option 2 is a non starter, I don't have another router! Is there an option 3... Do Plusnet have other types of router that allow DNS config changes?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can pick up a BT Business smarthub 6 pretty cheap on ebay - full compatible with PN much better than the hub one and you can change the DNS. (Has to be the business one.)
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Liamh, this sounds like an acknowledged issue regarding the DNS proxying on the Hub One that we've had open for some time now (ref: CPE-61/PNVDSL-84).

Can you confirm a few things for me?

1. When the issue occurs, do you have access to a laptop/computer it affects? If so, can you try running a lookup from a command line to both the router and the Plusnet DNS servers, e.g:
nslookup bbc.co.uk 192.168.1.254
nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.169.6.10

If the first fails but the second succeeds, then it just helps provide evidence that we're looking at the same issue.

2. If you can't do the above, then try specifying the Plusnet DNS servers on one of your devices and see if it 'fixes' things (you can use 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10).

3. Try enabling Safeguard on your account, waiting 15 minutes or so, then disabling it. Once done, disconnect and reconnect or powercycle your router. Keep an eye on the situation and see if the problem continues to occur.

4. We might want to arrange a remote session with the router vendor to investigate whilst the router is in the error condition. Is this something you think you might be willing to accommodate?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Liamh
Dabbler

Thanks Bob.
1) I'll do this next time it happens
2) I can also try this next time. I do know that changing the device DNS to Google DNS fixes things.
3) I'll do this today
4) Yes, I'm happy to do this.