Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping

FIXED
Henry_S1

Internet keeps dropping

Hi there,
At most times during the day, whether connected via Ethernet cable or wifi, my internet connection will drop randomly every 15 minutes or so. This happens on multiple devices that are connected. Occasionally a flashing orange symbol will appear on the router.
Any help would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Internet keeps dropping

Hi there. 

To give advice community members will need you to give further information.

1. Is there any noise on your line ? Plug a corded phone into the master socket . Dial 17070 . This connects to BT's line test facility. . Can you hear noise such as crackle and hiss? What results do you hear? 

2. Is your router using the first socket in your property, known as the master socket or an extension ? 

3. I. suggest that if possible you save yourself some time and follow this excellent guide  

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Speed-Faults/td-p/1270253

4 plus nets on line fault reporting will take you through similar tests. 

Good luck 

Henry_S1

Thank you for the reply,
1. Unfortunately I don’t have a corded phone and we don’t actually use the phone line so I cannot do the first check.
2. It is connected to the master socket.
3/4. I will give the guides a go and see what happens, thank you for your advice.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

hello there. 

H
1. Unfortunately I don’t have a corded phone and we don’t actually use the phone line so I cannot do the first check.

Unfortunately if you want plus net to take your problem on board you will have to do this check check with a corded phone. They are only £5 or less from Argos ,  or simply borrow one from a friend. It must be a corded phone , not a wire free type. This is because internet is dleivered over the telephone system and any noise on the line drastically affects the delivery. 

2. It is connected to the master socket.

do you have any extension wiring with other items connected ? 

3/4. I will give the guides a go and see what happens, thank you for your advice.

ok : but the quiet line test is a must . If you carry this out and noise is detected then you need to report a phone line fault, not a broadband fault. Who do you pay line rental to ? 

Good luck 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems

Testing your line isn't finding the cause of the issues, so I'd run through the troubleshooting here and report a fault to us here if you continue to experience problems.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hello Henry_S1,

I can see that you are new to the forum, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are new to PlusNet.

Could you say:

1. If you are using a PlusNet supplied Hub One, or some other router ?

2. Is this Internet drop out problem a new issue but your connection previously was OK, or has this been a problem ever since you joined PlusNet &/or upgraded to fibre ?

Alan