cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping.

picklepercy
Dabbler

Internet keeps dropping.

Over the past 3-4 weeks we've had a few days where the internet will constantly drop out for a minute or two. Sometimes it drops out every few minutes, sometimes it might be okay for an hour before losing connection. Last time was about a week ago but it's happening again today. It affects both wi-fi as well as wired connections.

Any ideas what it might be?

27 REPLIES 27
penny-swc

Re: Internet keeps dropping.

Listening in with interest; we've had the same problem here.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Picklepercy,

I've had a good check of your connection and can see the drops you've explained shown by the graph below:

image14997828445055
When testing your connection and line however there isn't anything pointing to what's causing the drops:

Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 60.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 15.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 635.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 02:30 to 02:45
Interference Location Unknown
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission High

so because our tests aren't picking up exactly where so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket and seeing if the drops and buffering stop. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault . Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Ben

picklepercy
Dabbler

Have just gone through the basic checks and not found anything that would be an issue. I'll check for the master socket tomorrow when I get a chance.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Picklepercy, Yeah if you check the test socket then as this will rule out internal wiring and if the drops persist from there get back to us as we will look at raising a fault and getting an engineer out to investigate further.

Kind regards,

Ben

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @penny-swc ,

Having checked through your connection also I can see your connection has been dropping also:

image14997860399013

After checking your connection and line there isn't anything jumping out as to what's causing the drops so I recommend the same steps as above to start ruling things out your side. I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket and seeing if the drops and buffering stop. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault . Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Ben

picklepercy
Dabbler

After a couple more dropouts this morning I finally got around to plugging into the master socket (as of 12.40pm today). If the connection keeps dropping now, I assume we need to get someone in to have a look at things?

picklepercy
Dabbler

And it has dropped out numerous times in the past hour while plugged into the master socket.

mcjizja
Dabbler

Could you check mine please too. There is something not right - either my line or wifi and would be good to know which!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@picklepercy - When you say you're connected to the master socket, have you removed the faceplate and connected directly to the test socket?

@mcjizja - Your line is testing fine with sync speeds at the maximum your package offers. Do you experience the same speed issues on both a wired and wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
picklepercy
Dabbler

Yes, I have taken off the faceplate and connected to the test socket.

nigel1971
Grafter

Mines been bad dropping out every 10-15 mins since thur and often stays down for 5 to 10 mins... shocking service Sad i'm in the test socket with the filter in.

PepePal

Hello (first time here!),

I've been having similar problems over the past 4-5 days. Internet works well but connection drops every 30m or so for 1 minute (more or less). Then it comes back again by itself (without having to reset the router). I've done all the basic checks and can't see anything wrong. Any ideas?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@picklepercy wrote:

Yes, I have taken off the faceplate and connected to the test socket.

It looks like your connection has stabilised over the weekend.

Let us know how it goes over the next few days with the router in the test socket.

@nigel1971 wrote:

Mines been bad dropping out every 10-15 mins since thur and often stays down for 5 to 10 mins... shocking service Sad i'm in the test socket with the filter in.

Your connection looks pretty unstable.

We'll need to arrange an engineer visit as the next step. I've replied to your fault ticket.

@PepePal wrote:

Hello (first time here!),

Welcome to the community forums!

@PepePal wrote:
I've been having similar problems over the past 4-5 days. Internet works well but connection drops every 30m or so for 1 minute (more or less). Then it comes back again by itself (without having to reset the router). I've done all the basic checks and can't see anything wrong. Any ideas?

Your connection is also dropping quite a bit, to the point where it's likely you'll have no connection at all when the drops are occurring. My tests aren't identifying the cause of that so I'd recommend getting this reported to us at http://faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
picklepercy
Dabbler

Thanks. Assuming it is all stable and fine now while plugged in the test socket, do I just keep it plugged in there or will I need a new box/face plate?