Did you mean: 

Internet is dropping far too often

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Internet is dropping far too often

Afternoon, I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing problems with your extensions and wiring disconnected. Can you reply to your ticket 197073984 or the text I've sent with further availability when you'll be free for another engineer?

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smiley180
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hi,
Thanks for getting another engineer out.

Night and day between todays visit and the previous visit a couple of days ago.

He has identified the fault external to the house and the telephone points (?) need to be dug up and replaced. He says around 10 days or so.

So progress!

As I suspected the original line was dead and we had been put on the older second noisy connection after we had been cut off. (Said the real problem should have been dealt with then)

The last visit the engineer (a nightmare) connected to the dead line and told me there was no noise. Then reconnected to the noisy line. Told me the issue was the extension .

The connection was partially working until the line outside got overly damp/ wet again. It's as bad as its ever been today.

So I'll get back to you in 10 days or so and it will hopefully be fixed.

Again thanks to you and Anoush for progressing this problem.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the overview @smiley180 

It's good to see that this engineer has identified a fault, I can see they've submitted a request for traffic management. We'd normally get an update on the progress of these after 5 working days, so I'll check back this time next week.

Let me know if you notice any developments.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smiley180
Grafter

update:

OK just had another bunch of openreach wasters arrive with diggers and two engineer. That is two vans and one for the digging equipment.

They sat in their vans for around 45 minutes or so, vaped throughout, dug a little hole with hand shovels, and decided to fix the fault at the junction.

One bloke came to the door, told me he they had found the fault (I was already aware of the situation fully as a result of the previous engineer). I asked him him if they were going to put in place the new ducting as I had been told. He said that the fault had been found and repaired.

The (second) engineer that had visited previously knew of the fault but had decided that new ducting to the property was the best option to resolve the present and any future issues and because the area is being upgraded. He had informed me that other properties close by had been similarly upgraded (reason why we had been cut off in the first instance). The reason for his preferred course of action was that the cabling-ducting was probably of the 1960's - 1970's when the houses had been built and had not been upgraded since.

The engineer got a bit shirty when I again reminded him of what they were supposed to be doing today, and he threatened to  refuse to complete checks of the phone line inside the house. All he wanted from me was that there was a dial tone on the phone.

Openreach are just horrible nasty company, far too many shirkers.

Current btwholessale speedtest:

Download Speed (MBps) 4.39

Upload speed (MBps) 0.93

Ping Latency (ms) 34

Do you think this is an acceptable speed?

smiley180
Grafter

speedtest checked again: 3.44, 0.92, 38 and 4.21, 0.93, 34

Am I expecting this to increase any time soon??????????

Can I have someone out to do the job that they are expected to do and complete it in a satisfactory way ? ? ? ? ?

And where do I go to complain with regard to bt openreach, is there any point in complaining ? ? ? ?

Just utterly stupidly useless.

smiley180
Grafter

For the record the previous bt openreach engineer had marked out the placement for the new ducting etc and had since his visit done so after rain on a couple of occassions to redraw as the original had been washed out.

Anyway any chance of getting this line fixed? -- 4.42  -- 0.93 -- 36

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update @smiley180 

While I've read and appreciate what you've said, I'd recommend taking a look at the updates I've been adding to your ticket 197073984. The latest update is that the dig work is still in hand with the contractors. We should know more by Friday and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

With regards to your complaint as we're providing you with a service you'd need to complain to us and our complaints process can be found Here however this is unlikely going to speed up the work that's required I'm afraid.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smiley180
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the reply.

They had brought the digging equipment today (it's why they had 3 vehicles out), and thats why it is extremely frustrating. So we'll see what happens by Friday.

My complaint is against bt openreach, I fully recognise it's not a plusnet issue.

I'll have a check of the ticket 197073984 if i can find it in my account. OK ive found it.

current speedtest 4.18 - 0.93 - 35

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem and I understand the frustration.

I'll be sure to keep on top of this and chase this up with Openreach on your behalf.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smiley180
Grafter

Thank you.

update to speedtest (I thought it might have been a glitch for a short while but no) 3.32 -- 0.93 -- 37

To think prior to this 'fix', we were getting (along with the dropouts) between 27 -- 33 download.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm a bit confused by the results you've posted, does this mean you're now getting 37mbps?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smiley180
Grafter

No. Not 37 but 3.7

9.20 am 24/1/2020 BTW Performance Test : D/L 3.8 / U/L 0.92 / Ping Latency 35

No presence of BT Openreach.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the clarification, the way you wrote it before could've been interpreted in different ways. No problem and I'd recommend taking a look at the updates I've added to your fault ticket. 

For visibility we've received confirmation from our suppliers that the external work has been completed and upon testing your line I can see your speeds are artificially restricted by the software at the cabinet (the green box in the road) so I've submitted a request for a DLM reset. This should go through within the next 3 working days and I'll check back afterwards.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smiley180
Grafter

Hi, Thanks for the update.

So far the excessive noise has gone (as far as I am aware).

The connection has been steady without drop outs (as far as I am aware).

So, if as it appears there is no upgrade to the ducting to the house at this time by openreach, all that is left is the line restriction to be lifted.

Will get back to you once we see the up-lift and hopefully without any of the recurring issues in 3 / 4 days time.

All the best to you and thanks for all of the effort that you have taken to get us to this point.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @smiley180 

No problem, it's good to see what work was done has hopefully at least stopped the drops and the line noise. 

I'll check back next week after the reset has gone through and we'll see if that's fully fixed the problem.

Feel free to let me know if you notice any developments in the meantime.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet