Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet is dropping far too often

FIXED
smiley180
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Internet is dropping far too often

Hi, we are (yet again!) losing internet connection far too many times in the past week. This evening is extremely bad . Generally in the evenings but not exclusively so.

The router will connect and then almost immediately drop and continue doing so and if very lucky will give some service.

We're getting both fixed and flashing orange light.

I've done the usual checks asked on here. We never really had problems until recently -- which has coincided with OpenReach activity in recent months. Maybe it is due to the rain -- who knows? You can arrive at your own conclusions.

Please could you look into this very frustrating issue. Thanks.

63 REPLIES 63
Andrewt

Re: Internet is dropping far too often

Mines doing exactly the same the kids and my partner been saying ever since we changed to plusnet it's the worst we have had,and now I'm beginning to think they were right ,I've had bt for yrs went off about twice then moved to sky went off handful of times,plusnet on other hand it's so often I even have to knock wi fi off on phone and just use 4 g ,carnt wait till nxt October to move provider, and obviously I do know bt owns plusnet but theres a saying get what you pay for
smiley180
Grafter

I have connected the plusnet router to the master socket and same issue -- it is unable to keep a constant connection.
Andrewt

Did you have any problems with other providers or have you always had plusnet
smiley180
Grafter

Sorry to hear this.

We were fine until a couple of months ago until btopenreach did some work near to us.

Lost phone and internet connection for almost a month. Hoping that this can be sorted quickly.

Plusnet have been good in dealing with my previous problem but btopenreach have been dire.

Don't see a way around this until the connection is dealt with.
smiley180
Grafter

Had bt (I know same company) one or two issues but quickly resolved.

Our problems began with recent btopenreach doing some work and left us disconnected.

Took almost a month for them to deal with our fault despite having five of their engineers out doing other people's work during that time.
Andrewt

Ah right well I haven't that problem problem is it's just not very good ,roll on October
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @smiley180, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues.

Can you please advise if you have plugged the router into the test socket. If yes, please raise the fault by clicking here and let us know once you've done it.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Link fixed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Andrewt, sorry for the inconvenience the connection issues are causing.

Checking from this side everything is looking spot on to the router. In which case I'm personally leaning towards wireless interference as this is the most common cause when everything is looking spot on between our side and the router and especially if you solely see the issue happening when using wireless devices and not so much wired connections.

If it is solely wireless devices where you notice the issues then I'd recommend following the steps below on how to best optimise the wireless to suite your property which should improve things for you.

What we need to change are a couple of settings on the Wireless page of your router's menu. What we are doing is often called 'splitting the networks' and 'changing wireless channels'.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
smiley180
Grafter

Hi, yes I had already tested but it wasn't working.

However, since posting the connection has picked up again (the telephone line is now clear, though a point to note is that there was one instance of a crossed line!) with the odd bit of down time. So I'm going to leave it open for a little while longer and see what happens (to see if it settles). If all is well then I'll post this issue as resolved if that's ok with you.

BTW why is your 'here' link [  http://https/faults.plus.net  ] is taking me to HomeImprovement.com ? Huh

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

That's absolutely fine, @smiley180

Bit of a strange one with the website redirect - could you clear cache and cookies and try this with an alternative browser in case some old data is being triggered somehow? Just tested from this side and all is well.

Thanks

Dave

smiley180
Grafter

hi, still doing it from this browser though I dont have the problem getting the link from alternative posts/ search. ilve tried alternative browsers still either misdirecting or not being able to resolve the address.

we have had quite a lot of rain recent days and the line has deteriorated once again. so looks like this will need to be looked in to.

Also still getting mini internet drop outs. I have reported the line/broadband fault.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @smiley180 

I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing problems with your line and broadband. I've added a reply to the fault ticket you've raised which you'll be able to respond to by logging into your account then going Here.

I'm taking this on personally which means that once you've responded I'll get the engineer appointment booked in as soon as I can and I'll follow things up with you after the visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wanderer303
Hooked

my internet is down once again today
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @wanderer303,

I'm really sorry to hear that your connection went down earlier today. Upon looking into this, I can see it's now back up and running - it's that the case on your end of things?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team