cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet is dropping all of the time

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Internet is dropping all of the time

This morning, my internet is dropping all the time.  Rebooting hasn't helped.  I notice it is raining this morning, so whether there is a line fault in regard to it, I have no idea.  It comes and goes.  At this moment in time it is barely staying on for 30 seconds at a time.  

14 REPLIES 14
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Re: Internet is dropping all of the time

I have pulled all the wires out and reseated them this time, as well as rebooted my computer.  So far, so good.  

Bluesplayer
Grafter

I am not sure, but it appears my problem is now fixed, but I have noticed very poor Wi-Fi performance with the iPad.  The modem is a Technicolor TG582n.  I connect my Mac by wire, so I haven't paid much attention to Wi-Fi, but my guest has noticed pretty dire performance in regard to it.  Running a speed test shows the signal falls to as low as 1-2 MB download speed when in the next room!  If the iPad is laid down close to the modem, it receives the full signal.  By the looks of it, I need to invest in a more suitable modem.  Any ideas?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

I'm guessing from the above that you have had your FTTC connection for a long time, and you are using a BT modem and the 582N in router mode?

A cheap and easy way is to buy a BT HH6 from that well-known auction site - configuration/set-up details are on the My Router board.

John
Bluesplayer
Grafter

I shall take a gander now and see if I can find one.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Bluesplayer

I'm really sorry to see you're having a lot of connection issues.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing the cause for this, but I can certainly see the drops as pictured below:

Is your router plugged into the master telephone socket, with no extension cabling between the router and the socket? 

If that's the case and you're still having issues, I agree with @jab1 in that it'd be a good idea to try a newer router next. 

I'll be happy to arrange to send you a new router free of charge, let me know if you'd like me to. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bluesplayer
Grafter

A new router free of charge?

Blast, I just won an auction for a BT Smart Hub 6, which I am committed to.  Only cost £13.85 with del, though.

I will take the new router you are offering all the same.  Thanks.

As for my phone / modem setup, it hasn't changed for years, so I can't see how it would be a cause for concern now?

I noticed when the drop is occurring, the modem lights do not move, as if it isn't receiving a signal, which kinda points to an outside issue?

Still, it would be an improvement to move from my 2 box set up to a single, I should think, though I am not sure these new modems / routers do both jobs?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Bluesplayer The HH6 (and Hub1/Hub2 - which ever you get) do both jobs. They are combined modem/routers.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Bluesplayer

The wiring & the contacts within a telephone socket can degrade over time, so it's definitely worth checking you're still in the master socket and you're not using extension cabling. If the lights don't change when your connection drops, on the contrary, this would suggest, the broadband signal to your router is OK and the issue may be internal. 

I've arranged to send you a new router now you should receive within the next 3 to 5 working days.

Let me know how it goes once you've got it. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bluesplayer
Grafter

When I said, the light's don't move, just 2 show as on with the other 2 going off, these are the ones that usually flash.  Surely this is a lack of a signal?  Oh well, I shall try this new router and go from there.  I have had a further few drops again, today. 

Funnily enough, I was running my websites from a home server, so this kind of thing would have been more unsettling than it is, but I transferred them to paid hosting last week, so the pressure is off in this regard.  Good timing on my part.

Thanks for the new router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah thanks for the clarification @Bluesplayer

I can see there have been drops in your broadband connection as shown in the above graph, but this could be down to something internal or external. As line tests aren't showing any issues, it's normally prudent to rule out an internal issue before going down the path of arranging an engineer visit.

However, if you're still having issues with your new router and you're not able to check the telephone socket, I'll be happy to arrange a Qube engineer to check it out for you before potentially calling out Openreach.

Let me know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bluesplayer
Grafter

I have plugged in the new router.  It has certainly sorted out the problem with the Wi-Fi side of things.  The signal has gone from practically nothing in the living room to more or less a speed comparable to wired, or not far off.  My upload speed on wired has gone up a little, too.  So, as far as the new tech is concerned, all is well and good.  Whether any further drops occur I shall just have to wait and see.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That's great to see and sounds really promising so far! Do keep an eye on things over the next day or two and please shout up if you notice any problems.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bluesplayer
Grafter

It looks like everything is good to go.  No drops, as far as I am aware, even during the horrific storm, and WiFi is top-notch.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Bluesplayer, thanks for the update. I'm really pleased things are working well, checking the connection our side we are only seeing one drop over the last 6 days Smiley

Should you have any further queries at all, please do just get back to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team