Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet frequently disconnects at random times

lakortha
Dabbler

Internet frequently disconnects at random times

Hello Community,

I took up a new Plusnet broadband service in November and so far I'm really enjoying the service.

However, over the last week I've run into a few issues with internet stability. Whenever I jump on my PC to use the service, the connection itself drops out. This could be at any time and doesn't seem to have any form of pattern, although seems to occur more often when I try to use the internet.

I have tried removing the face plate from the master socket and plugging the microfilter directly into the socket, although there is not change to the degradation overall.

If there are any more home tests I can do please let me know. Otherwise hoping there may be a fault that is disrupting the service.

Thanks.

31 REPLIES 31
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Internet frequently disconnects at random times

Hi @lakortha, thanks for your post and welcome to our Community Forum!

We're sincerely sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with your connection.

We've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as we can see quite a few dropouts, although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

We'd recommend starting with basic checks here.

If the problem still persists from here please let us know and we'll then go down the route of raising an issue with Openreach for further investigation.

lakortha
Dabbler

Hi @OskarPapa, thank you for your response.

I have gone through the troubleshooting guide recommended and I can confirm the following:

1. The phone line in does not have any crackle at present.
  2. I have reconnected all my cables. This includes re-seating the microfilter, rebooting the hub one router and re-seating the DSL connection from the microfilter, as well as re-seating the ethernet cable between the router and my PC.
  3. I am using the master socket which the original hardware technician set up for me from the original install and setup.

Hope this helps provide some more clarity.

Thanks again.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @lakortha, could you report the issue on the account over at https://faults.plus.net and let us know once you've done this please.

We'll then be able to get that picked up and raised with our suppliers for further investigation.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
lakortha
Dabbler

Hello @HarryB,

Thank you very much. I have raised a ticket for investigation. Thank you once again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Thanks for raising the fault.

I've updated your ticket for you now which you can view and reply to from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=185638588 if you can drop us a reply over here when you've replied with your availability for an engineer to visit we'll be happy to book the appointment in as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lakortha
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf,

Thank you very much. I have responded to the ticket with my availability.

Thank you once again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem.

I've booked the engineer visit in for the 20/12/2018 between 8am and 1pm.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lakortha
Dabbler

Will do, thank you once again for the excellent service.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem at all, always happy to help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lakortha
Dabbler

Thanks again,

So a technician came round on Thursday as planned, and identified that the home I live in was still using some old cabling to the cab, so he replaced the cabling with new copper cabling and installed a new 5C master socket.

Whilst the disconnects have certainly improved, I am still experiencing them but on a much smaller scale, just experienced the same disconnect at about 9:15pm on the 23rd. Any other suggestions?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Iakortha,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing disconnections following the engineer visit.

I can see from your connection log that you have experienced multiple drops since yesterday evening:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 148.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-12-20T13:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 719.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 896.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-12-24T10:27:24Z 2018-12-24T10:42:24Z
Ingress Code Violation 4 2
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Unfortunately, testing your line from here isn't picking up the cause of this so we'll need to arrange another engineer visit so that this can be investigated further. Please can you reply to the ticket here with your availability? If you drop us another message on here once you've done this, we'll pick this back up and get your appointment booked in for the earliest available suitable slot.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
lakortha
Dabbler

Thanks very much, I have responded on the fault ticket and will continue to do so from there.

Once again, thank you to the Plusnet team for the ongoing support with this problem - it is greatly appreciated.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @lakortha, thanks for your post.

We're always more than happy to help but we do really appreciate your kind words.

We've updated the ticket with the news that we've booked in an engineer visit between 08:00 and 13:00 on 27/12/2018.

Please let us know how the engineer visit goes, or if you need any further help in the meantime.

lakortha
Dabbler

Hi @OskarPapa,

So I had an openreach technician attend yesterday, again lovely person, very courteous etc etc.

He inspected the new copper cable to the cab which was fine, and then moved my line onto a new switch / board within the cab itself and made some calls back to someone who controls the connections from the cab. We even tried plugging my router directly into a mains socket as opposed to an extension socket.

All was fine until the evening. I had a pair of DC's and as of 11:30pm last night my internet connection will not restore itself, the Hub Plus One is displaying an orange solid light. I have tried re-connecting the DSL cable to the 5C master socket, rebooting the router, restoring factory settings from the web page and hard resetting from the router itself, no joys what so ever. Looks like there is still a problem somewhere. I have not seen anything about an outage so guessing this is just my line.

Thanks again.