cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

Huh

Was that a powercycle (posh word for off and on) or the full nuclear assault (sounds great too, but a factory reset)

Both should have updated the firmware - at the bottom of any hub page, does it still say 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 Last updated 11/03/19

I'm starting to think, if both of the above have been tried, that your current router isn't a happy bunny

But do nothing until a PN forum staffer jumps on here  -leave it in the test point Wink

js2018
Grafter

Re: Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

Did the factory reset as you suggested Smiley

yep - still says the below - does it mean it's not updated still? thanks

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ82111823
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 11/03/19
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You can't force a firmware update, it will either happen automatically when the central systems get round to it, or one of the PN staff push an update.

That said, that looks like the latest version!

Updates will only be sent to the router that PN have registered to you, so which router are you going to change to?

js2018
Grafter

okay thx

I have been trying to force it based on the recommendations in this thread

It doesn't seem to want to update though

I will change to the TP Link VDSL router only if the PN HUB keeps disconnecting over night. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Erm

4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 11/03/19

It's now on the latest, so either the reboot or the factory reset has done the trick (well for me anyway since the HH2) Wink

js2018
Grafter

Oh yes you are right!

I'll see how it goes now.. i definitely noticed something strange earlier since the hard reset though..

I normally have no issues on FIFA 19 on the PS4, but tonight after the hard reset i kept disconnecting from the EA sports servers (internet was still fine)

This never happened before the update.. Will keep an eye on it but it's not a big deal as long as my internet stays stable over-night now! 

DS
Seasoned Champion

It's an easy enough thing to miss Wink

Did you backup the settings like I suggested?

If so, try to restore them - http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9129 - browse and go to where you saved it Wink

If not, split the wifi and connect to the 2.4GHz only with the PS4 (it it's not in the same room as the hub).

(I'm sure a few pages back gives the how to tips)

edit FYI - a long press of the reset button will erase any user made changes, so you'll need to start again - wifi card on rear is now the choice and you make your changes (or restore from backup) to get the settings back to where they were pre-reset.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Just to clarify something - as you had already received the file, it was simply the case that it wasn't updating ... for some odd reason that we'll probably never know the reason why.

Regarding the HH2's (I had 8 ), HH3's (4), HH4 (1) and HH5's (2) you could call BT's non UK call centre, tell them you'd swapped out the their hub (with the latest firmware) and they'd get my others updated too Wink

As we know, PN do it slightly differently and it's only when you get the file (to your registered serial number of the router) that if it doesn't update, a restart or factory reset often 'starts' the file updating process.

(just letting future readers know too)

As suggested, make the changes (or restore), leave it in the test point and see how it goes. Give it a week or so and if it hasn't dropped then put the faceplate back on and then see how it goes.

If it continues to drop (in the test point) then it does look like there could be an issue from the socket back to the cab or exchange.

The WiFi dropping is an entirely different issue.

Time and patience is what's needed now Wink

js2018
Grafter

Thanks Smiley

I'll continue to monitor and see how it goes.

I didn't realise other routers needed updates from PN too? i thought it was just the Hub that needs PN updates?

DS
Seasoned Champion

I was actually implying that BT were easier to 'fool' Wink

As it was very easy to persuade them to do things.

Plus getting routers from them back then was like, as the saying goes, taking sweets (or candy) from a baby - very easy to do!!

Plusnet can't update a BT 'branded' router. They can only do their own (Hub Zero or Hub One). Though the PNH1 is a BTHH5 just wearing a different coloured coat.

Anyhoo, w-a-i-t and see Smiley

js2018
Grafter

My confusion is around why do 3rd party routers need an update from PlusNet though?

I understand PN's routers need the updates, but not sure why 3rd party ones need them!

DS
Seasoned Champion

I think I've confused matters Embarrassed

The Plusnet Hub One (aka Hub1 or PNH1), is actually the same as a bt home hub 5. The differences are:

Plusnet's are white and use their own 'custom' firmware, written to change any references to the BTHH.

BT's are black and run 'their' style of firmware (BT logo etc)

Plusnet can only update one of theirs - so the PNH1 is updated by Plusnet.

js2018
Grafter

haha - no i think we are going in circles!

Yep i understand about PN and BT's routers and the updates they need.

My confusion is this: Say i plug a 3rd party modem/router and use that (TP Link one that i have); Why would PN need to send that specific TP link router an update? Or have i misunderstood and PN don't need to send updates to a 3rd party router?

DS
Seasoned Champion

PN can't update 3rd party ones Smiley

Think of it like this:

PN 'manufacture' the PN routers, so they 'look after them' with firmware updates

TPLink do the same

BT do the same

Windows do the same

They all 'look after' their own.

If you use your TPL router, then apart from connection issues PN can't 'do' anything else.

(they won't support your 3rd party router, but you can use it - you'd need your PN username and password to use your chosen router)

js2018
Grafter

Yep - makes sense !!

so all was okay for about 3 days or so, no disconnects overnight or anything.

Yesterday evening around 9pm, i received a disconnect.. the router wouldn't reconnect for about 10-15 minutes. 

Rang PN and they said there's no fault in the area and couldn't tell me why it disconnected either

I have swapped the router our for a TP LInk VDSL router and will monitor the connection