cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

js2018
Grafter

Re: Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

thanks . i've restarted the router now so hopefully the firmware will update. 

I'll continue to monitor this

js2018
Grafter

Re: Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

Hi All

So it dropped out again in the early hours of the morning, even after i've tried to force the router to update and pluged in via the test socket Sad - Log below:

surely there is a reason why it's happening in the early hours of the morning, any further assistance please as it's becoming quite common now 

04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.390000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39950Kbps, Up Rate=7027Kbps; SNR Margin Down=11.7dB, Up=6.0dB
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.370000) CHAP authentication successful
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.260000) CHAP Receive Challenge
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.260000) Starting CHAP authentication with peer
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.260000) PPP LCP Receive Configuration ACK
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.250000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.250000) PPP LCP Receive Configuration Reject
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.250000) PPP LCP Send Configuration ACK
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.240000) PPP LCP Receive Configuration Request
04:50:27, 14 Mar. (43243.240000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
04:49:38, 14 Mar. (43194.440000) PTM over DSL is up
04:46:41, 14 Mar. (43017.690000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 4 VALUE CHANGE
04:46:39, 14 Mar. (43016.180000) PTM over DSL is down after 713 minutes uptime
04:46:39, 14 Mar. (43016.180000) PPPoE is down after 712 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
04:46:37, 14 Mar. (43013.640000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @js2018,

I'm sorry to hear the connection dropped out again earlier this morning. Having reviewed your account and tested your line this morning, I'm unable to detect any underlying faults on the line or with the equipment in use. Having reviewed your RADIUS graph (which shows us how long you've had an active broadband session, any connection drops, etc.) the drop seems solitary with the only other recent drop in connection being yesterday, around the time you power cycled the router.

As such, I don't believe this is indicative of a wider issue and would advise to keep an eye on the connection going forward. If further drops do occur then my next recommendation would to follow our online troubleshooting guide, which can be found here.

I'd also strongly recommend setting the router up within the test socket in the property if you haven't already, a guide for which can be found here. If the issue continues and none of my prior recommendations resolve the problem, please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
js2018
Grafter

Hi 

Thanks for the reply.

I would like some further investigation on my line please, as I've read that other users have had this issue and it turns out to be a faulty cable to their home from the exchange. 

It's a bit disappointing that nothing further can be done, as I have tried everything suggested so far but nothing seems to work. 

I am happy to log the case via the phone if needed, but would really appreciate some assistance as i have been a loyal customer for nearly 4 years. 

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @js2018,

To clarify, at this stage there's no indication that the drop in connection you experienced is related to a wider fault. Generally for us to accept a dropping connection fault and investigate further via an Openreach engineer visit, we'd need to see at least 3 drops to the connection over a 24 hour window or 6 drops in connection over a 72 hour window.

I appreciate the frustration that these types of issues can cause and I do apologise for any inconvenience that it may be causing, however at this stage I would advise that it's best to keep an eye on the connection for the next few days so that we can more accurately determine what fault exists and what may be causing it, assuming that further drops do occur.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
js2018
Grafter

that's quite disappointing, as there's clearly an issue with the line or it wouldn't disconnect at all :(.

I have had 3 engineers in the last 6 months, but the issue is still persisting so i will ring up the support and ask to escalate. 

If nothing happens, I will raise a case to the Managing director to help resolve as someone in Plusnet should be able to diagnose and remediate the error in my opinion. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @js2018,

My apologies, I feel I may have caused some confusion here. To clarify, I have tested your line today and we're unable to detect any faults with the service, meaning that we're currently unable to progress the fault investigation further. Though I do appreciate that the connection dropped out earlier this morning, the solitary drop isn't indicative of a fault at this stage.

I believe that the connection will become more stable going forward and the drop earlier today may have been due to the router firmware finishing it's upgrade, but if the connection does continue to experience issues, we'll absolutely get back on top of this and look into arranging an engineer appointment to continue our investigations.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

So it dropped out again in the early hours of the morning

Are you sure the drop wasn't caused by the firmware update?

Similar to the 'how to on message #23, but instead of TR069 select Boot

If it was the firmware, it'll look like this:

23:59:02, 12 Mar. ( 32.290000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
23:58:47, 12 Mar. ( 17.900000) System start TR069

js2018
Grafter

thanks for the reply

Nope it was definitely the below : it seems that "(43013.640000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" is a common trend with Plusnet and BT drops via a quick google search. One user had theirs resolved as the copper wire was replaced to their house!

04:46:39, 14 Mar. (43016.180000) PTM over DSL is down after 713 minutes uptime
04:46:39, 14 Mar. (43016.180000) PPPoE is down after 712 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
04:46:37, 14 Mar. (43013.640000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]
DS
Seasoned Champion

PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Funnily, or un-funnily depending on how you look at it, I've been there many many many many many times !

Though, we have one thing in common, that I can't suss out yet on my current 13 page story, is what is this and where is it!!

[Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

If I'd been given a quid for everyone of these I've seen, I could have bought PN from BT!!

It's that that seems to be a common factor.

Anyway, put yours into the test point, trust me, leave it there and see how many drops you get. Keep an eye on the firmware updating too, though imho this really should have completed by now.

I'd now be tempted to go here - http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9129 - backup your hubs settings to your desktop* and press and hold the reset button for around 20 secs, until the hub lights go off and on. This will restore the hub to a BNIB state and this has got to force the update.

*if you haven't messed with any settings, then no need to back it up.

(it's just advice, it's ultimately up to you if you follow it) Wink

js2018
Grafter

Haha, seems it is common indeed!

I will make sure it's in the test point, but I am sure it's already hooked in that way. 

What really baffles me is why does the majority of drops happen in the early hours of the morning . I rarely see them in the daytime

I'll also try and force the update later on Smiley

DS
Seasoned Champion

I will make sure it's in the test point, but I am sure it's already hooked in that way.

A piccy could help us to help you. Most of us don't care if the skirting board needs painting, the carpet ain't been hoovered yet or even if there's no carpet at all Wink

You may think you're in the test point, but is it the proper test point!?!?!?

What really baffles me is why does the majority of drops happen in the early hours of the morning . I rarely see them in the daytime

Supposedly, it's the Openreach and/or Plusnet fairies doing their stuff (they call it maintenance) Lips_are_sealed

I'll also try and force the update later on

As I said, it should have done it by now....?

js2018
Grafter

I'll make sure it is in the point later on when i'm back home Smiley

I also have a TP Link VDSL modem router that i might use in-case of further drop outs

Also how often does your Plusnet service disconnect?

DS
Seasoned Champion

Okay Thumbs_Up

You could try that, rules out the router at fault then!! Lips_are_sealed (there are how to use other routers on the PN network available on these forums, somewhere)

Good question. I'll keep an eye out for this answer too!! Cheesy

edit. But it is a fair bit tbh Sad - we've had issues for many years on and off, but this was pre PN.

js2018
Grafter

So I've restarted router as you suggested, still can't see on the log that the system update has taken effect though ? 

Also definitely plugged into the test socket now

Will see what happens tonight/tomorrow and then next step change router i think,