cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

OK great, if you decide to connect into the test socket overnight please add an update here afterwards as that will prompt us to follow things up with you and check the connection logs again. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
js2018
Grafter

Re: Internet drops out in the early hours of the morning.. Please don't delete - this isn't spam,

it's already been plugged into the test socket when these drops occur overnight :(... 

any other advice? It's rare it drops in the day but wanted someone to clarify it's definitely maintenance etc. rather than my house.

also would maintenance only take 5 mins (that's how long it was down the other day at 6am- 6:05am)?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @js2018,

The drops we are seeing don't seem to be to be frequent. And while we could send an engineer, he would likely not find any issue. Generally constant broadband performance is not guaranteed however there are certain criteria for us to request our suppliers intervene. At the moment we are not seeing enough drops to justify this as you have had one disconnection in a 7 day period.

However before we look any further into booking engineers etc and since you mentioned your devices are on wifi. It might be worthwhile going through some wireless troubleshooting.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. It could also be something electrical coming at specific times that is disrupting the frequency e.g central heating. 

Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Let us know how it goes.

js2018
Grafter

Thanks for the reply

The drops have nothing to do with the wifi settings. It's the router/modem loses connection to the internet as you can see from the logs. 

Something is causing it to disconnect for a few minutes in the early hours of the morning. 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Something isn't adding up here....

Over the last few weeks, i've noticed my internet drops out in the early hours of the morning (3-6am)

This bit is one of them and from reading the radius graph, the times it was connected were from:

• On about 12:30 on the 09 Feb
  • Off and on around 07:30 on the 25 Feb
  • Off and on around 17:30 on the 26 Feb
  • Off and on around 05:00 on the 5 March
  • Off and on around 06:00 on the 8 March
  • Off and on around 05:00 on the 5 March
  • Off and on around 06:00 on the 8 March

Though you're seeing drops from 3-6am. I wonder if it's not actually the connection itself dropping, but something else?

This doesn't sound right either:

all my devices disconnect and i need to reconfigure them

You shouldn't need to reconfigure them, if the drops are 3-6am or any of those above, the devices should connect automatically. Obviously there will be a drop or cut out of any CCTV footage during this time as the router is rebooting (if it goes to the www and then back to you), though as an example I can still connect to my router when mine is rebooting, so I'd expect the devices to maintain a connection to the router, even though they can't get to the www.

often firmware updates

On the subject of this, whats yours atm - log into the router and look at the bottom of any hub page. The firmware could be causing this.

Have you seen evidence of more drops compared to what's shown on the graph?

A valid question. Is it only those times or every day - the latter could again be wifi issues or firmware related.

No - these are the only drops i'm noticing as in the morning my devices disconnect which rely on the wifi. 

Again, this points to something else. Not necessarily a drop to the www but a drop to the router.

It would be a good idea to try another router

Hard to say for sure, but yours could be faulty.

So i don't think i can even plug into the test socket anymore (or it already goes via that socket).

As it's recently been replaced, it will have a test point behind where the new faceplate is. Care needs to be taken when removing the faceplate as any phone extension wires could well be connected to it.

it's already been plugged into the test socket when these drops occur overnight

Okay, but they're not always overnight. I could be missing something here, it just doesn't add up yet.

The drops have nothing to do with the wifi settings. It's the router/modem loses connection to the internet as you can see from the logs. 

Something is causing it to disconnect for a few minutes in the early hours of the morning.

The times stated don't add up. If it's possible, I'd leave the router plugged in the test point (using a microfilter) for a good week or more and see if the drops continue. Your landline work will only work in the same filter too.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @js2018,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I agree with @DS in that it would be worth checking the router's firmware version as this could potentially be the cause of this issue.

Please go to 192.168.1.254 to view the router control panel. If you scroll down to the bottom of the first page it'll give a software version. Please can you confirm which version your router is on?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
js2018
Grafter

Hi All

thanks for the last 2 replies.

Please see below for router info:

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ82111823
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 Last updated 11/03/19
DS
Seasoned Champion

4.7.5.1.83.8.259 Last updated 11/03/19

So we're getting somewhere !! Smiley

It's looking like your router is waiting to install the latest firmware, based on the DATE.

Click this link - http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9144

Then after the category drop down menu select TR069

Using a laptop, hold the ctrl button down and press f

A search box should appear

Enter this into the search box CWMP: Download status=OK (or copy it from this post)

If your router has been sent it recently then it should highlight the above (bold) in green.

You then have 2 options

1) wait and it should update itself

2) turn the router off and on - though do this with caution as I'd hate for your router to crash

I talked a friend of a friend through option 2 a day or so ago now and theirs updated upon power up!!

It's only advice and if you're not keen on trying, then no problem Smiley

js2018
Grafter

Thanks Smiley

i can see the below: does that not mean it was downloaded okay then? or does that mean it was sent but not updated yet?

12:50:08, 11 Mar. (1106476.540000) transfer completed successfully
12:50:08, 11 Mar. (1106476.190000) CWMP: Download status=OK
DS
Seasoned Champion

It should/could auto update any time now.

Mine was here on the 10th and updated on the 11th (less than 24hrs)

So yours is taking a little longer.....? Huh

(I know what I'd do - opt'2 - but it's your call)

js2018
Grafter

I'll try power cycle then, thanks Smiley

Do you think this will improve the drop outs overnight? I know a few were in the daytime, but i think that was my console crashing the internet. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

<did js2018 do it, did the router crash, time'll tell I guess.....>

As the drops are before the date of the firmware, there's no relationship*.

But I'm seeing others out there having issues for the last few weeks, and I'm kinda *thinking is it when they started sending the firmware out in batches.

So after the update, leave the DSL cable in filter in the test point and wait and see is all I can offer atm.

but i think that was my console crashing the internet. 

Eh!! Drop this bombshell at the last moment then why don't ya!! Tongue

(I've got to leave this for a while, other things on atm. But care to elaborate?)

js2018
Grafter

thanks for your help- ill try that later on today then Smiley 

Yeah - basically it was FIFA crashing the wifi, i think it caused the rotuer to drop out but only on the once. I had heavy lag in the game and i think the router crashed out.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

@js2018, no problem.

Continue to monitor things and if you notice any changes let us know and we can look into things further for you. Smiley

DS
Seasoned Champion

thanks for your help- ill try that later on today then

No probs Smiley and let us know how it goes - better Smiley or worse Sad

Yeah - basically it was FIFA crashing the wifi

Split the wifi (if you ain't already), then connect to the 2.4GHz only - it reaches further!! Wink

But mainly, leave it as I suggested - filter - test point - wait....