Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops continuously

Marius
Dabbler

Internet drops continuously

Just to give you a brief description of all the facts

I moved to Plusnet from Sky in June. The switch was done due to the constant price increases from Sky and to reduce my monthly bills.

I signed up with Plusnet for ,, truly'' Unlimited Fibre

It was a good offer but never realized that I will never get proper broadband...

Since the switch happened, now nearly a month I get constant complains form all household members about the broadband speed and the lost connection, on daily basis.

We never had this issue before with sky fibre MAX with constant speeds between 40MB to 55MB/sec and no slows down on peak times.

I geared up all the house with booster and everywhere when the actual broadband is working and we have internet the connection is fine.

I also bought a  different router the TP-Link VR600 V2 to try it and see if that will make any difference.

We are using Netflix, Now tv and online gaming as most of the households but we are living in modern times when broadband and internet shouldn't be a reason to write an essay about it. So I did Smiley

Please anyone have any ideas how to sort this out?

Thank you

20 REPLIES 20
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Internet drops continuously

Welcome to the forum @Marius.

I wasn't clear from your post whether the problem was wifi dropping connections to the router, or the router dropping the connection to the internet. If you don't know for sure, with luck, someone from Plusnet will be on the Forum tomorrow and would have access to a log of when your internet connection drops.

Whichever it is, does it happen with both the Hub and your new TP router?

Marius
Dabbler

Good morning,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes there is no internet however the blue light on the router stays on.

It does happen when connected wireless on all devices ( by the way who using in those days wired connection in the house?)

If I will take right away my laptop and then connect it with the patch cable the pages are still offline

That will happen with TP link router and with their router 

Also at the pick time broadband is s..t tbh

I hope the information above will help 

BrightonRock
Pro

The Plusnet people are active in the Forum today, and may well pick this up. If they don't, or if you want to move things along, report as a fault.

To report a fault, run though the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time but costs you nothing, and makes Plusnet aware of your issue, they have to look at it, and gets the issue into the queue for action. Don't use Firefox for the BT speed test as, currently, there is a problem with that browser running that test.

Please let us know how you get on.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Marius,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've tested your connection today and everything looks fine from our side. Your connection is stable and is syncing up at around 65mb/s,

I'd strongly recommend ensuring that you've covered all of our wifi troubleshooting here before considering raising a fault as the majority of elements that are covered by the fault process are reporting no faults at present. 

I'd also suggest running one device via a wired connection for a period of 24 hours to ascertain whether these issues occur via a wired connection (rather than just being present when you switch from wifi).

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Dave

Marius
Dabbler

Hi Dave,

I know that I should be getting the speed you are talking about as I use to get it with Sky before the switchbut that is not the speed I am getting now.

Is not even peak time and everything is shocking ...

I have checked my equipment and I am satisfied that this is not the cause of the problem. I hope this issue can be resolved shortly but, if you are unable to do so, please tell me the next steps in your complaints procedure or issue a deadlock letter outlining your final position.

Many thanks

Marius

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Marius, 

We'd not be able to go down the path of deadlock without us first making sure we've done what we can with you to make sure the issue us resolved. 

Have you tried specifically changing the WiFi channel that the router connects to?

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Marius
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

We have changed the wireless channel from Auto to 6, 9, 11 and 13.

I think we done everything possible but still we are experiencing slowing down in service ( speeds between 19 to 24 Mbps)

Today I didn't have to restart the router and we had connection for the entire day which is a surprise to us to be honest but fingers crossed.

Now I just done at speed test and the connection is fine ( really happy with that as yesterday at this time we had around 5Mbps)

I don't really ask for much just constant service and the guaranteed speed .

If you guys can offer what has been promised when I signed up the contract I don't have any issues paying.

Unfortunately I am not the guy who is paying or eating a bad meal in a restaurant so you know it.

Thank you

Marius

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Marius

I'm afraid to say we don't guarantee wireless along with most other providers given the mass amount of things out of our and your contract that can interfere with the connection type. Having said this we do advise everything we can in order to get your signal as strong as possible in order to get around any wireless interference in the area, which is why we have asked you to run through the trouble shooting guides for wireless connections. 

We are sorry this have not helped and there are a few other things we can try. Firstly can you come back to us advising if you have the Hub one connected?

Can you also confirm if you have tried a wired connection, and if so does the same issue occur?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Marius
Dabbler

Hi Sammy,
I can confirm that we are at this stage connected to the internet using the Plusnet Hub.
I have to disagree with you in regards with wireless connections, if we had before wireless without any issues what can be any difference now when we done the switch. Are you telling me that I should go around the house with my iPhone connected to a cable? Guys please don’t try to wiggle your way out from providing bad internet service
That’s all I am asking and don’t come with lame excuses
We are in 2018 and people are using wireless connectivity not cables
Simple just sort it out
PacketLoss
Dabbler

Hi Marius,

I don't see the PN guys looking to "wiggle" their way out, they seem to be trying to help and are following the standard process for troubleshooting.

It's essential from a troubleshooting perspective that they isolate if it's a line problem, modem problem or local environment problem and the quickest way to do that is to see if everything works as expected on a wired connection. Recognise you're frustrated but it's an essential step in diagnosing issues.

For your information though, no two wireless access points or modems are the same, both in terms of the hardware/software but also the configuration (some of it is automatic, such as channel selection). If it does end up being wireless, you might be able to re-use your old providers modem on the PN line.

Cheers!

BrightonRock
Pro

As I understand it, you get the same (wifi) problems with both the Plusnet Hub 1 and with the TP router that you bought recently? Also, you used to have a Sky connection (ADSL or fibre?) and using the Sky router you didn't have these wifi problems?

I really don't think that this is going to help (given that the problem is there with the TP as well) but it is a simple change that eliminates another variable. There have been reports that some kit, particularly Apple kit, can get confused by the Hub 1 broadcasting wifi on 2 frequencies. There can be problems when devices decide to switch from one to the other,  and reports of even dropping the connection. It might be worth separating the two signals. @bill888 has posted how to do that for a Hub 1 at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395....

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Marius 

There are a large number of potential reasons for slow speeds and sometimes these are difficult to track down.

If a wired connection works correctly, it's likely the Wireless problem lies between your router and your devices which we don't have visibility of..

Unfortunately due to the way WiFi works there are a lot of environmental factors which can affect the wireless signal.

As @PacketLoss says there are differences in each bit of kit when it comes to hard/software etc. 

@BrightonRock is correct with the frequency info - have you managed to take a look at the forum post he linked? 

Let us know how you get on with this 

Thanks 

Marius
Dabbler

Hi guys,

I am using now a BT HUB 6 and the drop out have stopped however the speed is not anywhere close I wanted to be ( around 25 Mbps . 

As I had so many issues could you please look into your billing? Would be just fair not to pay for the month when I didn't receive the service 

Many thanks

Marius

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Marius,

We can look at rectifying the billing on your account (by refunding downtime) once the issue is resolved for you, and depending on the cause of the problem. 

I can see a number of the forum members have offered some advice to try, can you confirm if you followed any of these suggestions?

I think at the moment we're all just assuming that it's all wireless issues, which it might be, but I couldn't see anywhere where it's confirmed it's definitely wireless so I would like to confirm once and for all but it's going to require some assistance from you. 

Please run the BT Wholesale speed test for me, I can see you've used this before so I won't give instructions, but once the first test has run please click 'further diagnositics'', enter your telephone number, and then click 'begin test' again. This will log the result with us to be able to see and use as evidence if and when a fault is required to be raised.

Please can you make sure the first test you run is wired. With your device directly plugged into the router and with the router plugged directly into the main socket. If you're using a laptop to do this you may have to disable the wireless temporarily to get a true wired result. Once the wired test is completed it would be useful to re run the test wireless. 

Please also confirm at the time of testing which router you are using to run the test, it doesn't matter which one you use but it might be worth choosing one and sticking with it for the time being while we try and assist in fixing the problem (although we may ask to swap every now and then for testing purposes).